Does R/C racing really belong on TV?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does R/C racing really belong on TV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you Prozak. You should look over the entire thread. I had been posting as Driver1 (I couldn't figure out how to log him out), and that has been my message all along.
Participants can debate over content and camera angles and timeslots until Judgement Day, and it will be pointless. Until the general public views this as a sport as opposed to a novelty no one will care. Let alone actually invest time or money into production of shows.
I have also griped about the fact that all the marketing dollars the manufacturers spend (and I'm certain it's substantial) goes toward the consumers already involved in the businesses where they already are perfectly aware. I view it as cannibalism.
Try using that power to display the dedication and skill of the racers and the venues that exist already to everyone in other forums.
If a manufacturer has an updated part for my car I will find it. Take that money and let others know what I'm doing and where I'm doing it.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone know how Traxxis is doing with their Nitro and Truck ads in Maxim and other men's magazines? I don't see that many Traxxis race cars at the track anymore. Has their business totally changed to serve the ready to run market? And are they more profitable now?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

We have been seeing a lot of TRAXXAS trucks at our venue (www.planetrcraceway.com). I don't know if it's a result of advertising in magazines or just selling tactics in the hobbyshops. Either way my hat's off to them for doing what ALL the other manufacturers SHOULD be doing, exposing our sport to people and markets outside of our own.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Check out this thread if you haven't already.http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=132649&page=1
Old 10-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

would be cool to have the 2007 IIC on TV with Scottie doing his thing and Barry as the color man!!!!!!

hells yah!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Arrow

10 minutes of qualifying and racing action from a 60 minute nitro main
NOW thats just sad....
I say run every minuet of racing action from first buzzer to last call. im sick of these shows which r more commercials then actual program. put the commercials at the end of the program. and run the sponsers at the beginning.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

This may not have much to do with TV coverage of RC racing. It does however have to do with my assertions on the need to educate the public before any quality programming can succeed.
I have been the Operations Manager of Planet R/C Raceway for about 2 Months now. Many may know that we are working hard to bring quality racing in a good facility to our participants. I think we've been successful so far. Unfortunately profitability is still just beyond us at least so far.
One thought I've had is our inability to reach new people who may be interested in our sport. I believe I should 'take it to the people' if they won't come to us. A kiosk in our local Mall may be the ticket.
I wouldn't be undertaking this to simply gain more sales (although I won't complain if that occurs). What I'm interested in is an educational oasis that will be in the middle of a high traffic location where the people are looking for something new and interesting.
My reason for blabbing on a public forum on my ideas is simple. To seek out anyone whom would like to help. There may be many ways to make this a success. And many opportunities for anyone involved.
How about video of races and quality A/V equipment to present it? How about personable drivers that may enjoy exposure to man the displays? How about refreshments to attract people and get them to linger for a minute?
These things are pretty much off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many ways for this to benefit our great sport. I can be contacted at [email protected], or called at 317-377-0690. Thanks to everybody and I hope this works for me and anybody who may be interested.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The outdoor on-road track I race at regularly gets 50-60 (sometimes over 100) people watching each Saturday over the course of the day. None of them race RC but they are interested in watching it. So I think there is some interest outside of the people who race in watching it. Not sure how much.