Search
Like Tree2Likes

Rubber tires for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bumping an old thread again

What does it mean when you get these ridges on the inside of the tyre? Only seems to ever happen to the front?
I would of though too much camber - but I only run 1 degree?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by coons88

What does it mean when you get these ridges on the inside of the tyre? Only seems to ever happen to the front?

I had this issue last year running Jaco Blue's on carpet. Turned out I had way to much rear toe in... The back end was so clamped down I was over working the front tires trying to get it to turn, causing "the ring of death".
MatsNorway likes this.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RobS
I had this issue last year running Jaco Blue's on carpet. Turned out I had way to much rear toe in... The back end was so clamped down I was over working the front tires trying to get it to turn, causing "the ring of death".
Another thing you can check is the camber rise. Even you are running only 1 degree camber. As the suspension compress during cornering it increase the camber too much causing the tire to wear. Rise the inside attachment of the camber link slight should correct this issue. Or move the camber link attachment inward (to increase the overall length of the camber link) should help too.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually those are both good points, I do run a fair amount of rear toe, I might back it off a degree and see what happens.

Under full compression the front camber only goes to about 1.75-2 degrees max, which is still within normal regions
Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

ya, 1.75-2 degree is well within spec. Think you should check the toe.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ring of death also comes from using more than necessary steering lock therefore dragging the inside wheel. You could reduce ackerman effect and reduce steering throw so the outside wheel does more work.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ark
Ring of death also comes from using more than necessary steering lock therefore dragging the inside wheel. You could reduce ackerman effect and reduce steering throw so the outside wheel does more work.
Comes from none of these things.

It is simply because the tyre inserts have an air gap that does not fill the tyre.

As you corner, the inside edge of the tyre rolls over onto itself and wears that fine line.

I've run tyres with a "ring of death" that goes down to the carcass with no noticeable loss in handling or laptimes.

Do not waste your time making adjustments to the car to minimise it. Concentrate instead on even wear in the middle of the tyre and good overall handling.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Second that, its just because the tyre is not supported properly in that area and rolls over.

Mike
Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 PM
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Comes from none of these things.

It is simply because the tyre inserts have an air gap that does not fill the tyre.

As you corner, the inside edge of the tyre rolls over onto itself and wears that fine line.

I've run tyres with a "ring of death" that goes down to the carcass with no noticeable loss in handling or laptimes.

Do not waste your time making adjustments to the car to minimise it. Concentrate instead on even wear in the middle of the tyre and good overall handling.
That is true, if you have a car that Pushes, AND has a lot of air gap, the ring will appear. I have been running the same brand premounts for months now and firstly had the ring of death as my car pushed mainly but as I have tuned the chassis better the ring has gone. You wont see ring of death on guys like Rheinhard and Jilles cars.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

this information is very handy as I've been noticing this on the front tires of my F104 pro.

I've found that when it happens on the F104, the steering is terrible. I had it happen last wednesday night, after about 5 laps the car started to suddently veer right, and for the life of me I was unsure why it just started doing that, but after see the front right after the race develop the ring of death, it made a bit more sense.

I'm thinking that perhaps using the tire warmers on them as well as a gap in the insert may contribute....would the heat be a factor as well as setup.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ark
That is true, if you have a car that Pushes, AND has a lot of air gap, the ring will appear. I have been running the same brand premounts for months now and firstly had the ring of death as my car pushed mainly but as I have tuned the chassis better the ring has gone. You wont see ring of death on guys like Rheinhard and Jilles cars.
Hate to pick at it but I think you dont see the ring of death on these guys cars because they certainly don't run for months on tyres?

Still.........
definatly a setup thing. i hate to say it but are all right imho.

if the front is overloading and casuing the front to push and load the tyre too much it will roll the insert in the tyre, then the rubber will sit on the rim causing the wear.

I would suggest trying either stiffer rear rooll bars or stiffer front springs. always set your akerman to neutral, get the car handling and then adjust the ackerman, you can be covering up other handling problems if you adjusted it forst.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Sorex 40's in cool weather

I got an interesting scenario.

I ran Speedmind Sorex 40 Premounts on a 77 Deg asphalt low grip track, soda prepped. At first they slide and push, then heat up after a few laps, had way too much initial corner steering and the car 'cut' a lot in the middle of the corner...later in the night I was actually traction rolling and DNF'd the main, couldn't drive it.

I went to old Corally Takeoff SSB tires after the main and was hooked up, no problem.

Tried Xenon 36 premounts 1st heat, similar to Sorex 40's but not as bad. Car cut a lot and was SLOW....

My question is why? I don't fully understand all the rubber choices out there.

Was I overheating the 40's in cool weather from sliding? I would not think to traction roll on a 77 deg track with 40's. I would think the car would push a lot.

Any thoughts welcome. Also the tires had about 4 runs on them prior to the race meet

Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Tech Adept

how you can tell when your tires are overheating?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
how you can tell when your tires are overheating?
You'll hear it!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coons88

Happened to me from the body tucking and cutting the tyre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.