Like Tree2Likes

Rubber tires for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Alright guys here's the situation.

Small carpet track.
Paragon GFX & Jack the Gripper are the only sauces allowed.
Most guys are running Paragon for both Rubber and Foam.

Recently some of us have decided to travel to an event where Jack is the Spec sauce. Therefore we have been running only Jack in order to get ready for the upcoming race.

The problem is we are getting a buildup of crud on the rubber tires when using Jack. This does not happen with Paragon. This happens with or without warmers. Basically for me, my car is great for about two minutes and then as if someone flipped a switch the car gets way loose off-power or at neutral power. Upon inspection the tires are covered in crud.

The carpet is fairly new. However, due to the small size of the track the grip is actually quite high.

Anybody else experienced this or something like it? Any suggestions?

Help!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

How are you guys cleaning your tires between races? How long are you saucing them?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Alright guys here's the situation.

Small carpet track.
Paragon GFX & Jack the Gripper are the only sauces allowed.
Most guys are running Paragon for both Rubber and Foam.

Recently some of us have decided to travel to an event where Jack is the Spec sauce. Therefore we have been running only Jack in order to get ready for the upcoming race.

The problem is we are getting a buildup of crud on the rubber tires when using Jack. This does not happen with Paragon. This happens with or without warmers. Basically for me, my car is great for about two minutes and then as if someone flipped a switch the car gets way loose off-power or at neutral power. Upon inspection the tires are covered in crud.

The carpet is fairly new. However, due to the small size of the track the grip is actually quite high.

Anybody else experienced this or something like it? Any suggestions?

Help!
In my experiences with "Jack" sauce, this is a common problem. I have no real answer for you either. I would probably just go back to using Paragon and not worry about the lack of Jack practice. When you get to the out of town race then deal with whatever comes up then. In our area we have found that when racers are using a mixture of sauces at the same time that traction issues came up and it was hard to figure out. We tried to get everyone on the same compound and that seemed to help some. Bottom line for me is that I strongly perfer Paragon.

Steve
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I'd think it has something to do with mixing the sauces.. I could be wrong, but when I use jack at a jack only track I don't have this problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We are a Jack only track and you shouldnt have a problem when you travel to your race. The problem is the fact that more then one compound is used at the track. Motor spray or simple green after every round will help.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Regional Moderator

Wow, thanks for the quick responses fellas. You guys are confirming exactly what I suspected might be the problem. I guess we will go the route of just practicing on Paragon and make the switch at the destination. From what I can tell there will only be a slight difference between the two (when the crud build-up is out of the equation).
Old 12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Wow, thanks for the quick responses fellas. You guys are confirming exactly what I suspected might be the problem. I guess we will go the route of just practicing on Paragon and make the switch at the destination. From what I can tell there will only be a slight difference between the two (when the crud build-up is out of the equation).
You will need to set up your car for more overall and rear end grip at the Jack only track. Run the Paragon at home but have a plan as to what to change in your setup when you go to the Jack Only track. We changes a year ago to Jack only at out caprpet track (Minnreg) and it was a big diffrence at first. Then we figured out what to change (use a spool, softer springs/oil, increase camber gain in the rear, etc...) and we were all good.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by AdrianM
You will need to set up your car for more overall and rear end grip at the Jack only track. Run the Paragon at home but have a plan as to what to change in your setup when you go to the Jack Only track. We changes a year ago to Jack only at out caprpet track (Minnreg) and it was a big diffrence at first. Then we figured out what to change (use a spool, softer springs/oil, increase camber gain in the rear, etc...) and we were all good.
That (having a plan) is exactly what Im working at. I have been trying tons of different stuff with each of the compounds (mainly Paragon) just to insure that the various changes are fresh in my mind so that I am more prepared to make thw right changes at the right time.

By the way Adrian, I got the new RR on the track for couple packs this past weekend and it was sooooooo good! New track record courtesy of BMI.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Where and when are you going to race carpet Quinton? Nashville?
Gonna run 12th scale and TC rubber tire?
I kinda been wanting to go run somewhere myself. Haven't raced since Big Chill.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Regional Moderator

No I dont have a Nashville trip planned at the moment. Several of the Joensbogians are headed to the Novak Race.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You should really enjoy that- Scotty runs a great show. You'll learn a lot too, tham dang yankees are fast on a rug...lol
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Having read the forum and getting a lot of good information I am a bit closer to understanding rubber tires. However I still have questions. RC Riot (new on-road track) expanding the racing here in Albuquerque from carpet indoor to asphalt outdoor. The track surface is new and very green. The current plan for track seasoning we are going to mix 1/2 gal VTX and 10 gal sugar water and spray it 45 minutes before practice. For those that don't know Albuquerque is hot in the summer so I am a bit worried. The outdoor track is going to have nitro 1/8,1/10tc as well as 1/10tc stock and mod on rubber tires. We will also have drifters but I don't think they will effect the grip level. So how are the foam nitro classes going to effect the electric rubber classes? Also what rubber compounds/ inserts (still lost on compound ratings) should I carry at the track? One last thing now that it should effect rubber vs foam but the track in on a 11 deg slope to it. This should make it harder to setup, however, I would not think it would change the compound for rubber. Maybe it would change the insert needed? Any help would be wonderful so I can order tires for the track store.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
Where and when are you going to race carpet Quinton? Nashville?
Gonna run 12th scale and TC rubber tire?
I kinda been wanting to go run somewhere myself. Haven't raced since Big Chill.
Hey Jason don't know if you remember me...I ran at the Big Chill in Stock Sedan and Kent built my motors...I was pitted next to Bates. Let the Memphis boys know that Lee at Nitro Toys and Hobbies (Flowood MS) is moving locations and opening an indoor onroad track, hopefully the first week of April. Track dimensions are about 80x40, concrete at first but eventually the plan is to put down a rug.

-rocky b
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Revision to that last post...carpet is on order so we will be going straight to the rug, and that leads to my question: What tire do you recommend on brand new fasttrack HD? This is for SS touring (13.5) with Jack as the spec sauce. The only experience I have is asphalt parking lot, and my setup works well on CS-27's and RP-30's. Thanks!

-rocky b
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bumping an old thread....

I was going through some old boxes and came across some old wheels and tires still sealed. I have 3 sets (of 4) and wondered if they are still worth something. They are older, but I wondered if they might work for carpet, or are these better suited for pavement?

Yokomo p#: ZR-138G2 Beltec 5G 24-48-8 Slick tire.

According to Yokomo, they are still offered, but not much info. What inserts should I use and what are these good for??

MOmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.