Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOTOR REBUILDS ????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default MOTOR REBUILDS ????????

HI i have just finished rebuilding my 19t motor and the comm has been cut NOW i only get 3 amp's @ 3 volts when i run it in on my ice i read somewhere that it must draw between 5-10 amps SO what could i be doing wrong its my first rebuild so any help would be appreceated thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

yes have you tryed re-solering you brushess and push a little on the brushes. and always remember to put some oil in each end
Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you replaced the brushes? If not best to replace them if they are worn out

Charles
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Until the brushes are broken in and seated, the amp draw will often be very low.....

And really, no load amp draw means nothing.....Mike Dumas A main winning Novak motor, drew the least amount of amps out of the 3 guys I had in the A main.....and it was plenty fast enough to win....

Later EddieO
Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

OH ok no i have not replaced the brushes or oiled them but they looked fine [ not burned ] and only about 4 packs run through them DO I STILL HAVE TO CHANGE THEM THEN ? also i read that if you oil them they collect a lot of dust ?? [ what do i know ]
Old 01-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EddieO
Until the brushes are broken in and seated, the amp draw will often be very low.....

And really, no load amp draw means nothing.....Mike Dumas A main winning Novak motor, drew the least amount of amps out of the 3 guys I had in the A main.....and it was plenty fast enough to win....

Later EddieO
ok now how long must i run in the motor i did 30 sec no fan then 5 min with a fan on it
Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

amp draw is kinda irrelevant to how good a motor is... but the motor should be relatively consistent... so if it used to pull 5 amp or so, after a cut and maintenance it should be close to the same...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AM03GT
amp draw is kinda irrelevant to how good a motor is... but the motor should be relatively consistent... so if it used to pull 5 amp or so, after a cut and maintenance it should be close to the same...
OH ok i thought that the more amps the better it is . first time i ran it in it also drew 3 amps so maybe its ok and just that kind of motor
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

3-6 minutes depending on the brush type....

I break in 4499, 767, and F brushes in at 2 volts for 5 minutes with our super fan....

Later EddieO
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

If you want more amps, just bend the shaft, it will go over 10 easy...! (don't do this)....

Many things like the above can cause a motor to show more amps....

Someone did post a good fact though, what it drew with one type of brush is what you should see each time you do it.....if the amps go way up or way down, something isn't right....

Later EddieO
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

this RC is not as easy as it seams its gona take time and a LOT of learning by the looks of it . WILL GET THERE 1 DAY
Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Red face

Originally Posted by EddieO
If you want more amps, just bend the shaft, it will go over 10 easy...! (don't do this)....

Many things like the above can cause a motor to show more amps....

Someone did post a good fact though, what it drew with one type of brush is what you should see each time you do it.....if the amps go way up or way down, something isn't right....

Later EddieO
IT CLIMBS UP SLOWLY AND HANGS AROUND BETWEEN 2.9--3.1 AMPS fluctuating between the 2
Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by serpentrush
OH ok i thought that the more amps the better it is . first time i ran it in it also drew 3 amps so maybe its ok and just that kind of motor
when i first got my own stuff to maintain motors, i was also kinda thrown off by the amp pull game. now when i get a new motor i do the normal spiel... brush hood alignment, comm cut, armature shimming, etc...

then i run it in like usual and take note of the amperage. then i run it on the track... if it feels good on the track then that is my baseline for gauging my motor. as long as it breaks-in around the same amperage as that baseline and feels about the same on the track, then i know its still good... if it pulls a lot more or less amperage on break-in, then i know that i need to check to make sure nothing is hung-up, or worn out... sometimes its just the natural change of the motor as the comm wears...

i guess in short as long as it feels right on the track, dont worry about the numbers on the bench...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AM03GT
when i first got my own stuff to maintain motors, i was also kinda thrown off by the amp pull game. now when i get a new motor i do the normal spiel... brush hood alignment, comm cut, armature shimming, etc...

then i run it in like usual and take note of the amperage. then i run it on the track... if it feels good on the track then that is my baseline for gauging my motor. as long as it breaks-in around the same amperage as that baseline and feels about the same on the track, then i know its still good... if it pulls a lot more or less amperage on break-in, then i know that i need to check to make sure nothing is hung-up, or worn out... sometimes its just the natural change of the motor as the comm wears...

i guess in short as long as it feels right on the track, dont worry about the numbers on the bench...
thanks looks like i need a brush hood alignment tool thats the only thing i dont have
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dont put oil on the brushes.. i think he meant the buchings or bearings on each end of the motor.. you dont want anything on the brushes unless it is a brush drop of some sort..

click the link and read through the threads. it will give you usefull info..

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/forumdisplay.php?f=172