Old 05-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by finchy
Has everybody left this forum

Graeme
Still here. No idea about those rates.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey AMGRacer love your new avatar, That's very Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks anyway just got 17 sets of Fantom springs cheap but didn't get any rates with them but not to worry. Ordered some stuff from Harmony, Gee they are cheap.

Graeme

Old 05-27-2003, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Hey AMGRacer love your new avatar, That's very Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks anyway just got 17 sets of Fantom springs cheap but didn't get any rates with them but not to worry. Ordered some stuff from Harmony, Gee they are cheap.

Graeme

Heck yeah Harmony rules. Saved me hundreds of dollars.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer

Finchy.... when I had mine, they had the springrates written on the bag's header card.....

I'll dig about and see if I can find the ones I did have.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AMGRacer
I suppose you could work it out - a bit fiddly though. Also, the thickness of the paint makes it practically impossible to get an accurate reading of the wire diameter.

Measure the diameter of the wire, the number of free coils, the outside diameter of the coils and apply this:

p = (G * F * d^4 ) / ( 8 * N * ( D - d )^3 )

p = rate in lbf/in
G = torsional modulus of elasticity = 11.5 * 10 ^ 6 for most spring steels
d = wire diamter (inches)
N = number of working coils
D = outside diameter (inches)
Old 05-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Sparksy, that would be a great help.

Cheers

Graeme
Old 05-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Taylor-Racing I'll give that a go when all else fails ( my Maths is not as good as it once was, I think my daily routine has turned my grey matter to mush).

Graeme
Old 05-27-2003, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

<SNIP>
I think my daily routine has turned my grey matter to mush).
Ahhh . . . then it looks like the springs are right, but you need softer oil.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

The springs that I'm running front and rear are in fact excellent even the oil selection is good. I just wanted to know the rates for future reference, who knows the traction may return to Brendale when the drivers return. There are a few springs I've got that just can't be used on the RR ( way to hard ) but the bulk of them are sweet. I feel the car is set up pretty good at the moment maybe just a slight hint of push exiting the corners but not enough to be concerned about.

Graeme
Old 05-27-2003, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

OK, if we have a lack of postings, I'll bore you with an update of last Sunday at Lilydale (MRCCR - a larger fast 1/8th scale track).

The day was cold and misty in the morning (about 8ºC . . brrrr) . . . cold enough to freeze the walls off a bark humpy.
We had installed the new RB Rody (3 port) obtained from a "colourfull Sydney racing identity" - gawd, nobody uses that term any more, do they?
Anyway we started the day with Active 37's all round.

The observations/results in point form are:

The car went like a rocket - a new engine is always good. My driver's first words were "Holy sh*t! . . so I guess it must be alright.

Screws fell out of the rear diff, in the third heat, essentially disintegrating the case.

We ran with greater ride height (5mm and 5.5mm) and handling was better.

Have decided that the heavier springs don't work as well as I had expected. We now run Black on Front and Gold on rear - Gold on the front causes too much wheel-spin and chatter. Maybe going back to a heavier shock oil is the go. For oils, we are only running 50F and 45R but it really did look good and well balanced.

The car was pretty much "ON" all day - we were happy.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've just received my Rody back from RB in France. Now it's got a lovely new blue printed p&l and some other work. Taylor-Racing how do you find the Rody, unfortunatly I've just got mine back and haven't put it in the car yet ( it failed 3 tanks after run in ). I intend to save it for the QLD titles.

Graeme

Ps we are lacking posting at the moment
Old 05-27-2003, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

Ooooh . . errr . . only three tanks.
I've heard a couple of issues with these things but don't know if it's typical.
One of the guys here broke a rod at the NSW titles, replaced it and promptly broke a crank. It was about a week or so old. Another guy had problems with the mid needle "following" the low speed needle or something and knackered his chances at the same titles. There are three or four guys with Rody's, down here.

Having said that, our Rody seems really good. It's replacing a JP which has done a few miles, now - actually a lot of miles. The engine seems to produce the power so effortlessly and sounds like it's just loafing along. It's difficult to be objective - maybe I'm just comparing it to the leaky old JP, but it seems more than just that. Low end punch is quite good.

Anyway, it's made the difference between being on the pace and giving away 3 metres at the end of the straight.

Tuning is easy. Actually, I need to do some more work on the low end/idle adjustment. It makes run-time OK, but at race temp, it will flame out much too easily when coming in for a fuel stop.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Are you running the rody with the restrictor in or out of the carb. What sort of refuel window are you acheiving.

Graeme
Old 05-27-2003, 02:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Ooooh . . errr . . only three tanks.
I've heard a couple of issues with these things but don't know if it's typical.
One of the guys here broke a rod at the NSW titles, replaced it and promptly broke a crank. It was about a week or so old. Another guy had problems with the mid needle "following" the low speed needle or something and knackered his chances at the same titles. There are three or four guys with Rody's, down here.

Having said that, our Rody seems really good. It's replacing a JP which has done a few miles, now - actually a lot of miles. The engine seems to produce the power so effortlessly and sounds like it's just loafing along. It's difficult to be objective - maybe I'm just comparing it to the leaky old JP, but it seems more than just that. Low end punch is quite good.

Anyway, it's made the difference between being on the pace and giving away 3 metres at the end of the straight.

Tuning is easy. Actually, I need to do some more work on the low end/idle adjustment. It makes run-time OK, but at race temp, it will flame out much too easily when coming in for a fuel stop.
if its flaming out to easy at race temp when you come into the pits for a fuel stop its either the bottom end to rich or you may want to bring up the idle by adjusting the throttle stop screw!
because with the 12 size motors when they get at temp their idle gets a bit low, but by doing a bit of adjustment it should be good as gold!..

hope this helps

jeremy!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

The springs that I'm running front and rear are in fact excellent even the oil selection is good. I just wanted to know the rates for future reference, who knows the traction may return to Brendale when the drivers return. There are a few springs I've got that just can't be used on the RR ( way to hard ) but the bulk of them are sweet. I feel the car is set up pretty good at the moment maybe just a slight hint of push exiting the corners but not enough to be concerned about.

Graeme
Yeah, OK - I've tried some of AMG's spring suggestions and have not been able to make them work, really. I've come to the conclusion it's track related. We've not run at Brendale but have concluded it must be smoother than Lilydale. Anyone run at both tracks and care to comment?

There was some debate about bodies and their different characteristics some time ago. Anyway, we've been running a Stratus 1 for about 9 months. Last Sunday we changed to a S60 Volvo and I like the results. I'd say it has less rear downforce and consequently a little more steering - just what we wanted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.