Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo

Hi Guys
Ive been assembling a Kyosho Evolva M3 Evo over the last week and all has gone well until the steering servo. Step 30 in the manual shows the installation for the various servos but its wrong.I tried fitting a Sanwa HT servo and used the 2 mm spacer as driected, but that put the servo horn hard up against the Middle driveblock even before the plastic bracket sat in place. Removed the 2 mm spacer and its still hard against the drive block.

Went to the local hobby shop and tried a Futaba, JR and KO servo and the same deal, they are all to tall (or deep) to fit into the locating holes on the top graphite bracket.

Anyone know of this problem and how to fix it.

Thanks Trev
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Did make sure you install the steering block as shown on the drawing?
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-kyosho-evolva-m3-steering.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Exactly as per that diagram.

Notice the 2 mm spacer that is supposed to be installed with the Sanwa and futaba servos. Well I have the Sanwa 1256 high torque servo and if you install it with the 2 mm spacer as per the instructions it hits hard against the centre block well before its in place.

If I remove the 2 mm spacer and install it as per the JR and KO servos then I can get the servo and bracket in place but it's pushed hard against the shaft in the centre block and the wheels won't turn, plus the servo arm hits the graphite bracket and can't rotate.

At the LHS we tried half a dozen servos and they don't fit.

If you measure from the bottom of the servo mounting face to the top of the servo horn, it's 23 mm without the rubber insulators in the servo.

Install the servo bracket and measure from th mounting face to the centre block you have 22 mm. I have no idea how you are meant to install the servo in that space.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

I would check your servo arm them..... mabey try another type
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Make sure the vibration isolators on your servo is installed, servo arm is pushed all the way in to your servo (tighten the screw to ensure the servo arm is in place), and install thin spacers and shims to center through the top plate opening. You also have to shorten the servo arm if it sticks out too much out of the top plate.

Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-evolva-m3.jpg   Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-evolva-m3_02.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Freelancer
Is that your ride, what servo have you installed.

I'm in trouble, I can just fit it in without the spacer and with out the insulators on the servo. The spacer is no drama, can leave that out as its only a spacer. But I know I should run the insulators to look after the servo, but it ain't going to fit with em.

I went back to the LHS today and it appears that any decent steel geared servo is just that little bit taller than the standard servos.

Will take some pics so you can see my issue.

Cheers
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Sorry no, the pics are from collari's kyosho who also uses sanwa/airtronics servos.

I could'nt find any sanwa 1256 ht servo you mentioned but I found this:
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/savox/sc-1256 savox 1256 servo
It seems very high to fit on the car.

Here's an example of the sanwa/airtronics servo: The servo horn sits low compare to savox.

You can find some more useful info regarding about the car on this thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...evolva-m3.html
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-picture-001.jpg   Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-savox-sc-1256.jpg   Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-picture-002.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Freelancer

Thanks for that pic of that servo, that is heaps shorter than the Savox, worse thing is, I have noticed that all the really good servos that have steel or titanium gears are tall like the Savox. Don't know how Koyosho think they will fit in the Evo, but that one you showed me certainly will, will get one.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Tech Lord

In my Mugen I mount the Savox without the rubbers with a good result of the right distance.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

KO PROPO RSX servos fit like a glove.

Also, JR 9100S fit as well, but I have to trim the steering servo holder a bit. It is a rather large servo.

I didn't follow the manual for recommended shims. Just shimmed it to make it work.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Not sure if this gonna work, but it's worth a try.
Install your Savox 1256 servo (with vibration isolators) before the plastic bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Evolva Steering Servo-evolvam3.jpg