Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

TeamC short is available in the states HRP now distributes TeamC and they have them as do i normally.

No tire prep is needed just clean them and run them!

On your engine choice keep in mind that there are only a few races per year that require you to use a 5port, the majority of club races have no limitations . So before you invest in an engine see what the locals at your track run. In TX and florida everyone uses some 7 but mostly 9port engines.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81
Thanks again for the advice. Would they be ok for a practice tire?

Also, since i know NOTHING about onroad in general. What is tire prep like?
Yes they would be a great option. they have enough of a tread to get small stuff out from under the tires. Will also teach you how to drive the car, as they will not have ultimate grip.

To that end I'd sell you the 8 used tires, and they look almost new at this point, for $40 shipped to get you started. PM me and I can send you a picture if you want. Or anyone else that is interested.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
On your engine choice keep in mind that there are only a few races per year that require you to use a 5port, the majority of club races have no limitations . So before you invest in an engine see what the locals at your track run. In TX and florida everyone uses some 7 but mostly 9port engines.
I haven't gotten my Big Boy pants back from the wife type to run any 9 ports. I have to use 5 ports and maybe a 7 soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
I haven't gotten my Big Boy pants back from the wife type to run any 9 ports. I have to use 5 ports and maybe a 7 soon.
That 5 port is fast! ISON!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

TeamC short is available in the states HRP now distributes TeamC and they have them as do i normally.

No tire prep is needed just clean them and run them!

What kid of engines are you guys running? Maybe i read wrong .. or I am remembering wrong.. but i thought that you had to run a buggy engine in the Gt8 class?(According to ROAR)

"1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any buggy engine of .21 size or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) No engine modifications may be made to any engine.
1. Max carb bore 6mm
2. Pipes: ROAR guidelines.
1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK"

What 9port off road engine are you running?

--Mike
Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

gt rules changed last October
ROAR GT8 Rules update

1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any .21 size 5 port engine or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) For level 3 and below events only. Level 4 and above events any .21 5 port motor only
1. Max carb bore 7mm
1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK
Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

What kid of engines are you guys running? Maybe i read wrong .. or I am remembering wrong.. but i thought that you had to run a buggy engine in the Gt8 class?(According to ROAR)

"1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any buggy engine of .21 size or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) No engine modifications may be made to any engine.
1. Max carb bore 6mm
1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK"

What 9port off road engine are you running?

--Mike
Since there are very few tracks that hold to ROAR rules (especially at a club level) its rare that you have to restrict your engine configuration . But what does seem to be brewing around is the sportsman class that only allows 5 port engines at a national level. Locally our sportsman class really has no restrictions other than drivers skills. My kid won the last one we had with a REDS R5 on a Kyosho GT2!

To answer your question though the faster guys are running mostly Rally flash 9port or TOP 21+ which is also a 9 port (NOVA based, identical internals). Andy Lui won the last major with a 5port ISON i believe. I was not there to see but can assume that it was quick, He beat Desoto who was running a 9 port TOP. Also not sure how fast laptime were and I am sure Desotos car was probably faster speed wise. Paolo's engine of choice is the Rally flash 9port. contrary to popular belief 9 port engines do not have less Tq than 7 or even 5port With the proper gearing and clutch settings they scream on the bottom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFc...-Fo8faTUHBBuDw

My 9pt TOP is stronger across the board than my 7pt version of the same engine but most noticeable up top of course. If i were you i would choose between the ISON, Rally flash or TOP 21+ (depending on which one is on sale!) all can be purchased at Desoto
Old 04-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Addict

Since there are very few tracks that hold to ROAR rules (especially at a club level) its rare that you have to restrict your engine configuration . But what does seem to be brewing around is the sportsman class that only allows 5 port engines at a national level. Locally our sportsman class really has no restrictions other than drivers skills. My kid won the last one we had with a REDS R5 on a Kyosho GT2!

To answer your question though the faster guys are running mostly Rally flash 9port or TOP 21+ which is also a 9 port (NOVA based, identical internals). Andy Lui won the last major with a 5port ISON i believe. I was not there to see but can assume that it was quick, He beat Desoto who was running a 9 port TOP. Also not sure how fast laptime were and I am sure Desotos car was probably faster speed wise. Paolo's engine of choice is the Rally flash 9port. contrary to popular belief 9 port engines do not have less Tq than 7 or even 5port With the proper gearing and clutch settings they scream on the bottom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFc...-Fo8faTUHBBuDw

My 9pt TOP is stronger across the board than my 7pt version of the same engine but most noticeable up top of course. If i were you i would choose between the ISON, Rally flash or TOP 21+ (depending on which one is on sale!) all can be purchased at Desoto
Andy had faster lap times due to the bottom end through the whole infield. The ISON is good but I went a different route. If you aren't racing on a track that has a football field for a back straight a 9 port is over kill. The 5 port spec by ROAR is spot on. I'm running the Murnan Modified Novarossi CLIO P5 and I cannot see any reason to go up to a 9. It all greatly depends on track. I wish I was in Houston with you guys but I'm not. Parking lots is what I got and that means maybe 120' straight a 9 port here would be a waste. But... I still have one in my box Lol.

My reccomendation would be go with a 5 port unless you have the track to back it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

the ISON is an onroad based 5 port, it does not have more torque than a 9 port, timing is what determines tq and why the myth of 5pt having more bottom end than 9 port comes from. These are words coming from the man himself , i was skeptical on this until it was explained to me in detail. I set my 9port as Paolo instructed me to do and it has more power on the bottom and clearly up top over my 5pt and 7pt. the 9port engines are just faster all the way around. Watch the vid, there is no lack of bottom end. Ask yourself why an offroad engine has so much more bottom end? it is the port timing more so than the actual port count. I ran my 9port on a very short small track at the brownsville brawl and it was still faster than the 5 and 7 port engines especially on the infield. Now what you cannot do is just throw the engine in and turn some screws , it has to be setup via gearing and clutch but once thats taken care of there is no where that a 9 port will suffer. Like i mentioned earlier these are PM's words spread to me and i think we all know his Nova knowledge is superior.
The trick to any setup is to keep the engine in its power band and "on the pipe" that is controlled by clutch,pipe selection and gearing. We can agree that more air means more power so in that sense the 9port will create more power with a wider powerband. We can also agree that how your clutch engages determines your "infield" power. In this vid Eduardo and I are running 9ports everyone else is running 5 and 7ports. Show me where i am losing any ground on the infield?!!! Its actually the opposite Eduardo (yellow cobra ) has slightly more top speed than me but my bottom end and midrange is stronger especially on exit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy1...aTUHBBuDw#t=55
this is a 5port, same story the TOP 9pt is just faster all around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy1...TUHBBuDw#t=113

I agree that the ISON would be the better choice for anything other than an all out national event. I doubt you will see a 5port do well in Homestead and i know its not going to be fast enough here in TX at Mikes, Joliet is a smooth sweeping track so i think the 9port will be superior there too, we will see in a few weeks!!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Thank you Mantis for all of the information. I have learned a lot today. The Midwest Nitro series and the tracks around me all say to follow ROAR rules. I will have to talk to some people to see if they are in fact enforcing the engine rules. If I am to follow ROAR rules to the letter.. what is the best 5 port to get?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thank you Mantis for all of the information. I have learned a lot today. The Midwest Nitro series and the tracks around me all say to follow ROAR rules. I will have to talk to some people to see if they are in fact enforcing the engine rules. If I am to follow ROAR rules to the letter.. what is the best 5 port to get?
I do beleive the Midwest Series will be following the ROAR rules, as I was looking at making one or two of the events. The Byrons race in June, which is not part of the series, will be running an open engine just like the guys in Texas and Utah do.

But from what I have seen, and I do travel quit a bit and race the GT class, you really are not giving up much if anything with a good 5 port. Exception being Homestead that has a 300+ long straigt.

I'm going to take 5, 7 and 9 port engines to the Novarossi race in Houston and we'll see how it goes. My guess is the 7 port with thier 260' straight, but the 5 port may surprise me. In the past, the 9 port which is a true onroad engine just does not work as well in the infield. It was built and modified for 4wd open cars ..... really works well there.

I have raced against the ISON in LA and it was fast. Ty has the clio, from Murnan and since I use his stuff as well, know it would be a good option. I'm not sponsored by him, but purchase his stuff as it just works ......
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

OK, I think i will try the ISON engine. Are the servos I use in offroad ok to use in on road?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

OK, I think i will try the ISON engine. Are the servos I use in offroad ok to use in on road?
Yes, the servos you use in offroad are fine for onroad use if you are using good ones. You want at least 150oz or more torq for your steering as to not have wheel chatter when taking on high-speed turns and sweeps for sure.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

I have been running either Spektrum 6100 or Savox 1267 / 1268 Depending on the car .
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

I have been running either Spektrum 6100 or Savox 1267 / 1268 Depending on the car .

Don't know much about the Spektrum servo but the Savox ones are fine. I use them in my 8th scale GTs and Mugen MRX4R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.