Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

He means one trailing, one not, by accident!

I too am wondering what setup difference it makes, I need more mid/on power steering and was wondering what trailing arm and castor would work best?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Inline axles and 25* caster blocks will give you the most initial/turn in steering. 30* caster blocks and the axles in the trailing position should give you the most mid-exit steering.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions??

Thanks for all the reply, now i did a step forward to understand what we are talking about, but i still have some doubts and questions.

I understood that the TRF201 has a "Trailing Axle" configuration, with the axle "behind" the kingpin.

I still have to understand how to deal on the "Trailing axle" configuration and what results should i expect moving to F or R (i have to move the 2 plastic washers...?) i suppose that the car in std config is on the "0", am i correct?
This is what i see on the Set Up Sheet on the "Trailing Axle" setting.

I race my car mostly on dirt dry dusty low traction tracks and i'm really happy of my car set up (thanks Lee...... ), but this is something i never saw changed on "Pro" sheets (proabably there is a good reason... ) and for this reason i never dedicated too much attention to it, but now i'd like to learn a little bit more.

Thanks a lot for your attention and help.

Bye
WWD
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by renjie
I was just wondering the same thing.

Must be pretty special if it's ultra dialed
Sorry y'all...I didn't make it clear i was joking. I had my front axles set differently - one inline, one trailing . I would never have found it if not for this topic coming up, so thanks to all.

btw, i have switched both to inline now
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wildwillydriver
Thanks for all the reply, now i did a step forward to understand what we are talking about, but i still have some doubts and questions.

I understood that the TRF201 has a "Trailing Axle" configuration, with the axle "behind" the kingpin.

I still have to understand how to deal on the "Trailing axle" configuration and what results should i expect moving to F or R (i have to move the 2 plastic washers...?) i suppose that the car in std config is on the "0", am i correct?
This is what i see on the Set Up Sheet on the "Trailing Axle" setting.

I race my car mostly on dirt dry dusty low traction tracks and i'm really happy of my car set up (thanks Lee...... ), but this is something i never saw changed on "Pro" sheets (proabably there is a good reason... ) and for this reason i never dedicated too much attention to it, but now i'd like to learn a little bit more.

Thanks a lot for your attention and help.

Bye
WWD
Hey WWD, i have a similar track situation i need to setup for. Would you mind sharing your setup, or linking me to the one you used please? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AntiGooch
Hey WWD, i have a similar track situation i need to setup for. Would you mind sharing your setup, or linking me to the one you used please? Thanks.
Sure, would be a pleasure but i can't post link at the moment since i'm new to the forum but you just have to go to the Petit RC . com site and go for the set up sheet of Lee Martin Pre-Euros - Vienna (Aug-10) that is what i used as base.

Here what i changed:

- I use less weight only 45gr under the servo
- Green tamiya springs at front instead of yellow
- No front wing (just because i don't have one but i'll try one soon)
- Rear tyres: Losi big Shots (Red) or Jconcepts Double Dees (Green) or Pro Line Hole Shots (M3)
- Front Tires: Losi Rib Tyres 7202 or 7205 (Silver) or Jconcepts Groovy (Green).

That's it and i'm very happy with it since i like "light" car set up but i'm still working on it.

Bye
WWD

Last edited by wildwillydriver; 10-05-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Inline axles and 25* caster blocks will give you the most initial/turn in steering. 30* caster blocks and the axles in the trailing position should give you the most mid-exit steering.
Stuck at work at the moment and have no idea what caster blocks come with the kit. I need more mid and exit steering so I'll definitely look into making those adjustments, thanks for the tip!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Stuck at work at the moment and have no idea what caster blocks come with the kit. I need more mid and exit steering so I'll definitely look into making those adjustments, thanks for the tip!
Kit caster blocks are 30 deg...........
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hopsing
Kit caster blocks are 30 deg...........
Thanks, was in the midst of tracking down the manual.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Do you normally run at SDRC? I'm usually there most Friday nights racing (wont be this Friday ) So if you ever need any help and are there make sure to say hello
Old 10-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hopsing
Do you normally run at SDRC? I'm usually there most Friday nights racing (wont be this Friday ) So if you ever need any help and are there make sure to say hello
That is the local track for me but Saturday was the first time I'd been there since just before the grand opening event. I'll track you down next time you're there for some setup advice. Hoping to make it Friday but that depends on whether or not the diff gears show up in time (had SDRC order some and I also placed an order with TrackStar so I'll have plenty in the near future lol).

What tires are you running? I'm on Bar Codes right now.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I also placed an order with TrackStar so I'll have plenty in the near future lol).
Those just went out you should have them tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

I'm in the process of getting my latest set up sheet loaded on the 'puter. All morning and early afternoon fighting boot up issues.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Those just went out you should have them tomorrow.
Awesome, thanks for getting those out so quick Jimmy. As usual, you guys rock over there. Pretty sure I'm gonna dump the Durango and go with a 502 shortly as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Here ya go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.