Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Big Jim would be proud of all the CE dyno backers....
He preached this for years.

RIP...
Old 09-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my Fantom dyno helped me...i had built a few motors that had mad RIP!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Tres: Yeah, Big Jim certainly was "vocal" about his beliefs. He inherited the CE Turbo Dyno I left at Trinity when he arrived, and was a believer ever since...
Old 09-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
I don't think you get what I'm saying. You CANNOT make absolutely identical laps. So by tuning your motor by laptimes, you are only getting false info that is probably less accurate than a Fantom or a simple motor checker.
Think about what you are saying, if you can't see a difference in lap times between two motors what do you think a dyno will do for you?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nick-C
Think about what you are saying, if you can't see a difference in lap times between two motors what do you think a dyno will do for you?
You cannot detect minor motor changes. I DID say that someone can detect a difference between two different motors.

A dyno will show the minor changes that you make, and you can make a lot of minor changes to add up to make a strong motor. I only know a handful of people that could tune a motor according to the track, and get maximium power from that motor.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you can't feel the difference between more or less power.....then yer not doing something right....

Long and the short of it, your lap times will tell you if the change worked, didn't work, or didn't make a difference (which is often what happens)...

Todd, I know how the dyno works....heard more than I will ever want about the damn thing from Big Jim....he would never shut up about how great it was.....There is a period where the dyno will give inaccurate readings and still go from step to step....mine do it all the time.....hence why I have seven of the things now....gives me time to fix one without slowing down production....

Still wanna fix my Quillen Balancer....

Later EddieO
Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EddieO
If you can't feel the difference between more or less power.....then yer not doing something right....
I NEVER said we can't tell the difference between a powerful motor and a dog. I said, the majority of us cannot tell the difference between a small tweak to a motor, so that's why we either put our faith in motor builders like yourself, or buy our own dyno's.

I know I can't look at laptimes and say "that purple spring on the pos made a noticable difference". Maybe it's just me, and everyone else is more sensative to that kinda change.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Eddie, I'm in total agreement with you on the CE slave motor issue, as I know Tag is as well. We see the exact same thing you do when the slave motor is going funky--the #s are off and misleading.

Having said that, I'll take a funky CE anyday over a Fantom. You really need to use the spool-up time on the Fantom to make any sense out of your motor's torque readings. The wattage #s mean absolutely nothing.

Not to trash Fantom though--our Fantom lathes are like none other. We have like 5 of them between the three of us and they're just mint all around.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

The fantom lathes are pimp.....I have four of them myself.....2 for the shop, 1 for the road, and 1 for my personal pit...

Later EddieO
Old 09-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
The fantom lathes are pimp.....I have four of them myself.....2 for the shop, 1 for the road, and 1 for my personal pit...

Later EddieO
...like works of art IMO.

Dude, we've tried absolutely every other lathe out there and NOTHING is even close. The Fantom cuts beautifully each and every time, doesn't go out like others with multiple points of assembly. Being a one-piece unit really is what does it for the Fantom.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Fantom lathes are ust like any other fine works of art, it's gona cost ch'a.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Jon and Eddie, Huh, Mine won't ever give false #'s until the fluctuation is evident...Although I do remember reworking the original units a bit with Ron, (Jim's dad) at CE. I can tell you what I've done if you're interested...Just call the shop or stop over at Vegas.
Also, I have some incredible brushes to use in the slave motor that were made in the late 80's. High carbon and graphite content, but not super soft. Killer for the slave motor.
Hope this helps...

Regards,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
518-452-0422
Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Wow! What great information. I am enjoying the open discussion on the dyno's and what companies think of them. Hope this thread stays alive.

Peace
Old 09-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

best lathe-integy auto lathe
best dyno-muvh more motor mater
Old 09-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

much more motor master

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.