Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 1:10 F1

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Disappointingly, no assembly manual is included (has to be downloaded). No biggie really, but I opened the box excitedly and wanted to read through the assembly steps.

Parts quality looks excellent though, and I really like the front wing setup (has main plastic body with attachable lexan spoiler) 2 different lexan pieces are included ( diff angles for diff downforce) Quite an ingenious tuning aid. Haven't compared side by side to F103/F104 spoiler, but it looks to be compatible.

Can't answer the question 're: springs, as I'm not currently at home with the kit and I haven't downloaded the manual.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I imagine most folks will still use the Tamiya wings. I'm not quite sure why Serpent decided on the particular front wing design they use here but UF1 rules state the front wing must be hard plastic Tamiya style; no polycarbonate/lexan with the exception of the rear wing side dams. Personally, I'm glad the wings are white... I won't need to paint/vinyl the rear piece for my BrawnGP livery.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think UF1 should revise their rules on the front wing. I think the spirit of UF1 rules are pro-realism, but they should also be open to innovation.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

The UF1 rules are an American set of rules and are not specifically raced around the world.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Right, right. We always have to have it our way over here ya know. Ha! Ill be interested to see how much difference between the two or 3 really.

Last edited by Lessen; 07-31-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stephenianjames
Parts quality looks excellent though, and I really like the front wing setup (has main plastic body with attachable lexan spoiler) 2 different lexan pieces are included ( diff angles for diff downforce) Quite an ingenious tuning aid. Haven't compared side by side to F103/F104 spoiler, but it looks to be compatible.
The lexan front wings have been around for a few years, it is how Tech Racing created different front wings for the different '09 F1 bodies they sold with the F125. You don't have to follow the cut lines, you can make them bigger or smaller to adjust high speed handling.

The problem with them is that there is nothing to stop you using a touring car rear wing on there, or even a wing cut from a buggy wing, instead of the smaller lexan front wing parts. It gives you extra downforce while looking a lot less scale.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The lexan front wings have been around for a few years, it is how Tech Racing created different front wings for the different '09 F1 bodies they sold with the F125. You don't have to follow the cut lines, you can make them bigger or smaller to adjust high speed handling.

The problem with them is that there is nothing to stop you using a touring car rear wing on there, or even a wing cut from a buggy wing, instead of the smaller lexan front wing parts. It gives you extra downforce while looking a lot less scale.

Ah, I know of the Tech Racing F1's but didn't realise they had the lexan front wing. Hopefully people wont abuse the potential and stick with a scale looking solution. Still, I like the concept as it's another way to dial in/out steering
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

I definitely like the authentic look and as much as I like that the F1 crowd seems to take realism to the next level (referring to development), care must be taken not to change rules too often; after all, it's still a hobby for most of us. Super excited to get into this class.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys
Here's the picture of the final build i made for www.rcf1.fr (thanks to ronald at serpent for sending us a sample kit)
a build video and a review will come soon

Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Interesting how the plastic bags and font size used are identical to what was included in my VCB flash...wondering if the same manufaturer is used for both VBC and Serpent?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Ph3nyx - Could you enlighten us on the kit spring rates? Center/sides/front.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhilippineEagle
I think UF1 should revise their rules on the front wing. I think the spirit of UF1 rules are pro-realism, but they should also be open to innovation.
I believe UF1 wing rules, as well as most of the rules were set in place due to "That Guy" that reads every rule to the letter in his haste to become the next World Champion
Rules need to be very simple, yet enforceable

"Spirit" is a rule followed only by friends and sporting drivers....

UF1 started with a handful of racers and no rules
Over time things escalate, as is the norm in this hobby
Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why does almost everyone put their center shock on backwards?! You want the rod and piston attached to the rear pod as they are the lightest and this reduces the unsprung mass.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

On some cars in some configurations the top of the shock hits something, but the rod end is smaller and will not interfere. Therefore guys reverse the shock.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GryphunRacing
Interesting how the plastic bags and font size used are identical to what was included in my VCB flash...wondering if the same manufaturer is used for both VBC and Serpent?
Why serpent doesn't make there own parts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.