Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I don't think the stock cutback esc is 120 amps is it??
Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

the problem is, when you start buying their upgrades for this truck, it starts getting into slash territory and I don't think this truck is as good as say, a slash 4x4 platinum because if you break a slash, you can just walk into your local hobby shop and get the part you need over the counter, but if you break a cutback, you will be parking it unless you already ordered the extra parts you might need in case of breakage.

So the 2 year warranty on plastic breaking on the cutback sounds great at first, but I think you have to send them your old part? (correct me if I am wrong) and you have to pay for shipping of the old part? So you really have to be prepared if you going to the track for the day with a cutback, hopefully you have spare arms, bearing carriers already in your box.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

@Nissanguy...

No, the stock TH branded esc is 80amps.

Also, when I mentioned that my esc was defective in my earlier post, I was told by the Hobby services people when I spoke to them on the phone that I did not need to send the faulty esc to them and that they were going to ship me out a new one free of charge in January since at the moment that are out of stock.

(out of stock: now those are three words that we rc people hate to see or hear)

So the bashproof warranty is a good thing.
And when I finally take this truck to a track, I will pack some spare parts in my parts box. I always try to do so with any of my sct's like my Ofna etc.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

I wonder if the ESC motor combo you have on it is faster than the factory 4 pole set up? The Cutback is still an intriging alternative for the price when you can line up all the discounts at tower, I think last week you could buy one for about $185 shipped with all the discounts.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Hmm, I wonder that myself. Only thing is, I never got to drive it with the stock motor/esc set up. I may put the 3600 motor back in with another esc and just pack the replacement TH 80amp esc away once I get it next month.

From what I could tell from driving it with the set up I put in it, it seems peppy. However, I may go up on the pinion and install the optional 54t spur gear.

Yes, it was selling for 219.00 last week over at Tower and the coupon codes made it less than 200.00
Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 Edgeverse, keep the info coming be another added to the ranks very soon
Old 12-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

I plan to keep this thread going along with anyone else who wants to.

Ok, earlier today I began installing the sway bar kits. Front is done, yet I am left with two pieces with two set screws. I looked at my other rc's with sway bar kits and they don't have these pieces.

I am liking this truck I believe there is quite a bit of potential here.

I am thinking that I may unmount the esc from the top of the rx box. I may remove the rx box entirely and install the esc where box ix and mount the rx where the esc was originally.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Rookie

So I took mine out this weekend on my little homemade track and here are my initial reactions. First, the conditions were loose, damp dirt so traction was not great which made the truck a little tough to drive for a 4x4. Not sure if it was the tires or conditions. Second the servo is very slow, will need to be upgraded eventually. I actually was a little surprised with the speed, I read everywhere how slow it is on 2s, but I did not think it was that bad. The one very minor annoying element of the truck is the battery location is tight, getting a battery in then trying to get the velcro straps is annoying.

Overall, I really like the truck, it is solid and seems like it can take a beating. I do not plan on racing it so I will only upgrade as I break something.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Great description of your maiden run, superotto80..

I think the speed can also vary on the surface you drive on and the tires can also contribute as well.

I also think the servo is kinda slow. But overall the truck is really fun to drive. So far far, I have only ran mine on 2s. I can agree that the battery tray feels tight but I was able to get a 5400 in it.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default pinion spur

Any recommendations on size spur gear and pinion for more speed just got mine a few days ago running 2s just ordered some 3s. Can it handle 4s? I'm so disappointed with the 1 page manual. No help at all ughhh. But in a good note handles great stock at the local track in the corners. The traction is unreal for a rtr. It's tough so front end heavy it hits the ground off jumps w the front bumper and flips anyone got this worked out yet? Thanks
Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dont have mine yet but I would install the smaller spur gear for 2s running and change up the diff fluids 10-10-7 to start. That should help with both speed and keeping the nose up.

3s maybe ?? 4s no chance
Old 12-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

I know of some people on the forums and on youtube, who swapped out the spur with the included 54t spur and went to a 13-15t pinion and it gained more speed.

PS: only 2s-3s is recommended. I would not try a 4s. May blow the esc.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. No overheating issues with the 15th pinion on the smaller spur? What about that set up on 3s I just ordered a couple. Thanks. I'll order a pinion and fluid and let u know how it goes
Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Here is a video I watched sometime ago showing the 54t spur and 13t pinion. I was impressed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by edgeverse; 12-08-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

I caint see the YouTube link u posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.