Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting into onroad racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting into onroad racing

25 years ago I raced 1/10th scale off road RC cars. I mainly raced with an RC10, so I have some experience with RC racing.

Now I want to get back into RC racing, but on road racing this time. I'm considering either 1/10th scale touring car or 1/10th scale Formula One. This is based on visiting my local track in California and observing the drivers practice. It seems like for Touring car I would want a Yokomo or an Xray. It also seems like for Formula One Tamiya is my main option. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I have a few questions.

How much money should a decent setup cost for a Touring Car if I am starting from nothing?

I have the same question for Formula 1.

Also, which class of cars would be better to get into? Yes, I am aware that Formula 1 is more challenging to drive. Back in the day I was a pretty good driver : ) .

Also, what is a good car , remote control, battery, motor, servo, etc for someone who wants to start racing in the stock class.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I’ll try to give a starting point.

If you are open to buying used. You can find great deals on a year or two older model. Nearly every car I race was bought used. I don’t like being a Xray cheerleader, but since they do release a new model every year. The previous years model can be found fairly easy.

What is considered as “stock class”. My area has VTA, USGT. Occasionally get a 17.5TC class. But very rarely. I also like F1. But it’s basically a dead class right now.

As for the electronics. That’s seems to be regional. USGT is moving to a Spec motor, the shutdown delayed this. Sounds like VTA will be moving that direction in the next year. R1, Motiv, Tekin seem to be common in my area.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't know what they call it these days. We used to call it stock, when you don't use upgraded electric motors. It seems like these kits don't include motors.....so by stock lets just say I want to be in the class where the newer drivers would be at.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I am open to buying used. Where is a good place to shop used?
Old 07-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by rcracer132
I don't know what they call it these days. We used to call it stock, when you don't use upgraded electric motors. It seems like these kits don't include motors.....so by stock lets just say I want to be in the class where the newer drivers would be at.
Better check with where you will be racing at. Find out what class they run. I have not seen a on road kit include a motor, other then tamiya, in the 9 years in the hobby. Only the last 3 on the race side.

VTA or USGT are usually where most suggest to start.

There’s usually a number here. I’m avoiding the for sale section for awhile.

I’ve had very good success on eBay. Belt driven touring cars aren’t popular outside of racing. So the ones I’ve bought have all been in excellent condition.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

25 years ago I raced 1/10th scale off road RC cars. I mainly raced with an RC10, so I have some experience with RC racing.

Now I want to get back into RC racing, but on road racing this time. I'm considering either 1/10th scale touring car or 1/10th scale Formula One. This is based on visiting my local track in California and observing the drivers practice. It seems like for Touring car I would want a Yokomo or an Xray. It also seems like for Formula One Tamiya is my main option. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I have a few questions.

How much money should a decent setup cost for a Touring Car if I am starting from nothing?

I have the same question for Formula 1.

Also, which class of cars would be better to get into? Yes, I am aware that Formula 1 is more challenging to drive. Back in the day I was a pretty good driver : ) .

Also, what is a good car , remote control, battery, motor, servo, etc for someone who wants to start racing in the stock class.

Thanks in advance.
Check to see what kits and what classes are being run. Buy a common kit and get a little setup help. Find out what tires work best. Running common chassis , tires and setup will get you up to speed fast.

F1 kits, I'd look into CRC for value and performance. $280 for the kit, $55 to $200 for an ESC, $90 to $120 for a motor, $50 to $90 for a battery. To make a long story short, around $800 to put a car down. A sedan will be closer to $1000. That's Including a decent radio set.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:24 PM
Tech Rookie

What is CRC?

local race track has novice stock 1/10 scale 4WD touring car. They also have Formula One 1/10 scale Tamiya F102,F103, F104 class.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Tech Prophet

What is CRC?

local race track has novice stock 1/10 scale 4WD touring car. They also have Formula One 1/10 scale Tamiya F102,F103, F104 class.
Calandra Racing Concepts. CRC. I run their 1/12 scale.

So they class only runs Tamiya F1 cars? Very unusual.

Check the for sale section here. I know there’s a couple F1 listed.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What is CRC?

Calandra Racing Concepts. If they are racing Tamiya F1 kits, then they are being very specific. Most F102 and F103 cars will be very old. You can still buy several versions of the F104. The F104 has a longer wheelbase and narrower tires. Google them to see the difference. Most common versions are the F104 Pro and the F104 V2.

Sedan can mean just about any 4 wheel drive 1/10 scale kit. You really need to ask what classes are being run. It will dictate motor, tires and body to be used.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 PM
Tech Rookie

What is CRC?

I think f102,103,104 clones are ok too.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:14 PM
Tech Prophet

I think f102,103,104 clones are ok too.
There’s Xray, Serpent, Associated had one, Infinity, and I’m sure I’m missing a couple others. I don’t think any of those would be considered “clones”. What clones were you referring to?