Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bertrandsv87

What To Do With Old 25T VTA Motors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Default What To Do With Old 25T VTA Motors...

I have a bunch of 25T VTA motors from a few years back when I had 4 cars setup for myself, my kids and my brother. Those motors are not used at our track . They are also no good for the driveway, because to gear for enough speed to be exciting, the hairpin turns at each end make too much engine heat.

Today I set one up with a 3cell battery from one of my RC helicopters. Wow that worked great. Small high power battery turned it into something like a 17T by feel. (I estimated about 11T by calculations).
Old 07-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

This is a TB-04 Pro. To balance the chassis, I have the ESC and 3-Cell battery on the same side. The battery is 1500mAh and runs fine for 5 minutes, ending at 11.3V

Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Old 07-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kinda motors? I'm currently setting up a VTA car for me and my kiddo.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RynoRC
What kinda motors? I'm currently setting up a VTA car for me and my kiddo.
Those are 25.5T Novac VTA motors and I had them in F1 cars. For F1 our club started 21.5, changed to 25.5 and now is using the CanAm handout motor rules. Looking at our rules it seems as if these motors would still be good for VTA as that does not seem to use the hand-out motor rule. I'm a little behind the times because the track has been closed and I have been running in the driveway all year so far.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ic-racer
This is a TB-04 Pro. To balance the chassis, I have the ESC and 3-Cell battery on the same side. The battery is 1500mAh and runs fine for 5 minutes, ending at 11.3V
I really like the re-use of your old motors! Every once in a while I'm running my Tamiya TT-02 rally car with a Tamiya Torque Tuned and a 3 cell LiFePo battery. No racing, just bashing around. Motor and ESC, a TBLE-02S, are getting quite hot, and will probably die early, but it's great fun!
Which final drive ratio are you running with this TB-04?
Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Don't recall the gearing, but last motor in the car was 17.5 and it was geared for that for an indoor carpet track. Motor temps seem good, so I'll probably keep the gearing just about where it is. I have a second tb04 and want to set up an identical car for my son so we can race even-up.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The old Novak Boss motors are still good in F1 25.5t on loose surface, with the timing cranked up past the 45* mark and pretty low gearing.....
dman18t likes this.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

+1, for using them in an F1. Gear up and let er rip!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Any chance you can sell me one? I am looking to get my feet wet at the local VTA track.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

I have wanted to use my driveway as a track, or build an on-road track somewhere for 15 years. In the last few years, and especially with COVID closing our local indoor track, I have come close to perfecting a good 'driveway' setup.

Funny in 2003 I actually tried to run a 1/10 Serpent Impact in the driveway and it was a huge fail.

Fast forward to present and I have some cars that now run much better on the driveway than they did on the carpet.
a) Light weight, no rule limit, small batteries
b) 6 to 7mm ride height
c) can't use high gearing due to hairpin turns, so either higher voltage (like this thread) or just use low turn motors (17.5 to 10.5) with lower gearing.
d) GYRO and expensive/fast servos run off 8.4V . High quality FUTABA gyro with digital or brushless servo running on 8.4V is key. I don't build or run any car without a gyro anymore. Unless a ROAR track opens up near me again. So, ESC and Motor can be inexpensive stuff from Banggod or whereever. No advantage to expensive motor, esc or battery. Spend the money on tires, gyro and servo. The more money spent here the better.
e) Get rid of front spool. Loose font diffs on all the 4wd cars to turn in for the sharp corners. Very little risk of traction roll, so higher ride height and softer front are not going to make the car flip.