Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: gears

Originally posted by hierog
why not, sparks would look sweet coming from the front of it!! LOL
Old 09-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
I was under the impression that the EVO4 ring gear has a different number of teeth?
No, they are the same number. I thought they were different too until I counted and they are the same.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally posted by jeffreylin
No, they are the same number. I thought they were different too until I counted and they are the same.
I beleive the bevel gear has a different amount of teeth than the origanal bevel gear from the EVO III
Old 09-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by f1larry
I beleive the bevel gear has a different amount of teeth than the origanal bevel gear from the EVO III
Yup, the Evo4 bevel gears has 2 more teeth but the ring gears are the same.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

After viewing the past two pages in this thread, I did not see anything about running the EVO4 suspension on the EVOIII. Is this possibal/worth it? I know of a few that use the EVO4 suspension on their 415's, but would it help the EVOIII?

Is it just me, or does the EVOIII push? I ran Rod's setup at SoCal, and could not get rid of this little pushing problem with the car. With each adjustment I have made, the car seems to steer a little better, but it's still there.

There IS an "E" block for the car, right?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by bubbles
After viewing the past two pages in this thread, I did not see anything about running the EVO4 suspension on the EVOIII. Is this possibal/worth it? I know of a few that use the EVO4 suspension on their 415's, but would it help the EVOIII?

Is it just me, or does the EVOIII push? I ran Rod's setup at SoCal, and could not get rid of this little pushing problem with the car. With each adjustment I have made, the car seems to steer a little better, but it's still there.

There IS an "E" block for the car, right?
Bubbles,

The new (evo4) suspension kit works for evo3 as well. In fact, if you got the limited production conversion kit it has instruction for both the 415 and the evo3.

Which one of Rod's set up did you run? After having ran the evo3, 415 and the evo4 at SoCal, I would say that the push could be dialed out. Try yellow all around with red sway bars and 30W oil. That's my base setup for SoCal and I don't think the car pushes. The Tamiya cars do drive different from the other cars and suspension changes affect the car differently sometimes. But the cars are certainly fast. In fact, maybe you are pushing because the car allow more speed at the corners?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Tech Regular

Rod's setup was something like...

Springs - yellowF yellowR
Oil - 50wt
Ride Height - 4.5F/R
Droop - 6F 7R
Camber - -2 all around
Toe - 0F +2.5
Swaybar - yellowF yellowR

Mine now is something like...

Springs - Associated RedF Associated RedR
Oil - 50wt
Ride Height - 4.5mmF 5mmR
Droop - 6F 5R
Camber - -1F -2R
Toe - -1F +1.5R
Swaybar - yellowF GoldR(I forgot the size, but it's a little thicker than yellow. Not Tamiya)

I might change EVERYTHING back to his setup, and just start from ZERO again... The car is OK as is, but I just want a LITTLE more steering mid corner, and it will be SET!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I tried 40wt oil and like 30wt better for SoCal, since it's quick transition I am looking for. Also the the sway bars and springs might be too stiff. What I've learned was that this car needs to roll more than the others in the corner to turn. You would think a stiffer rear will give you more steering but in fact it takes the steering away since the car does not roll enough to turn in a tight circle. I was struggling with this until Steve Weiss pointed it out to me.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

I'm using the three hole pistons though, which makes the dampening(sp) softer, so you counter with thicker shock oil.
Scuba Steve to the rescue huh...

Shortening the camber links would help the car rotate through the corner as well, right? I'll mess with it some more and see how things turn out.

Later
Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

I'm using the three hole pistons though, which makes the dampening(sp) softer, so you counter with thicker shock oil.
Scuba Steve to the rescue huh...

Shortening the camber links would help the car rotate through the corner as well, right? I'll mess with it some more and see how things turn out.

Later
Yeah, I am referring to the 3 hole piston as well. In fact, that is the factory set up (3 hole with 30wt F/R)

The other thing that makes quite a bit of difference is the spacers you use on the wheel hubs. try making front wider or rear narrower.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

I have the new suspension mounted on my Evo3. I also put an old reartower up front to be able to stand the shocks up more. The geometry and battery placement is now exactly the same as the evo4 (measured it on my brothers evo4) so I can use evo4 setups right off. You only have to add 2 mm under the camberlinks to get the correct height of the links noted in the evo4 settings.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
I was under the impression that the EVO4 ring gear has a different number of teeth?
no it has same number of teeth.
i think!
there is no aluminium input gear but if you shim it itl be ok.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

think the EVO IV ones are 2 teeth larger or so i have been told.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So basically installing the evoIV alum 1way gear and shimming both the 1way and the bevel gear fixes the stripping?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

How about weight of the metal gear?

I was able to reach 1365 grams racing weight at last weeks race. I replaced the steel dogbones with aluminum ones from the TA03 kit. If I install the carbon prop shaft and Ti screws, I can lighten the kit even further. Maybe even lose the one way in favor of a delrin outdrive?

What's the lightest evo3 ever assembled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.