Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Dasupacat1

Ea is right about the cells. If you abuse them and short them out they will vent and even catch on fire. Any time your charging this cells they should be in a well ventilated area and watched at all times. I personally have had no issues but as said above they will explode if your peak detect is set to high or overcharged just like any cell.

Mark Adams
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I did not abuse the pack. Soldered it up put about 400sec of charge at 4 amps and discharged to .9v Days later I go to equalize before charge and 0.0v on 2nd cell using my DPD. Confirmed with my voltmeter. No voltage on the cell.
Guess I lucked out on this pack.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
These cells do not just explode on their own. User misuse or charger misuse is what causes these cells to explode. Ive matched thousands of cells and have not had any explode. It happens when people forget packs have charge in them or they are already fully charged and then try to charge them again. Or a charged pack get shorted out on a chassis or against something. That is not the batteries fault...Its the user's fault.

These cells are not idiot proof and all types of batteries are dangerous when mistreated or abused.

EA
this is not totaly true,its not common but it does happen.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

yup i seen a 42 blow and shot way up in to the air good thing it went up. also that pack was in a discharger. pack was like 1 week old.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wow with all those explosion news, wonder if any cells blew up in the car while racing???

If that were to happen, $300++ cars would go up in smokes...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

I've got some 4200's coming and this is a worry.

Luckily my 38's ( 1 year old ) are still going strong and taking well over 4200mah.

It will be interesting to see what trinity do about this
Old 01-09-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Regular

I've only seen one pack explode on someone and that was the result of a person having saddle packs and receiving a vicious T-bone.
But back to the main topic.....I follow EA's instructions on battery care to a "T" and still have cells going bad when these cells were supposed to last me until next season. Anyone have some good 38's for sale?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
I did not abuse the pack. Soldered it up put about 400sec of charge at 4 amps and discharged to .9v Days later I go to equalize before charge and 0.0v on 2nd cell using my DPD. Confirmed with my voltmeter. No voltage on the cell.
Guess I lucked out on this pack.

I was talking about blowing packs up. IB cells will still go dead even if you follow the instructions to a "T". Its the way the cell is designed (which sucks in my opinion) but 99% of racers would rather have more performance than more reliability.

Proof in point IB recently just made the cells more robust or durable but to do that the average numbers went way down (lots of 1.22's and low to mid 1.23's with NO 1.24's at all) and every single person complained about it and would not buy batteries until they were back to where they were when we where having a lot of bad cells. So now they are going back to where we where (1.235+) but we will have a few more dead cells.. No matter what happens someone is going to complain and battery matchers will just have to replace bad cells at our expense (NOT IB's of course) because the racers want performance....not durability.

Keeping the charge in cells does not gurantee that you will not have bad cells...It just greatly reduces the chance. If you dont believe me take one pack and leave it with no charge in it for 2-3 weeks and then cycle it and you'll see what I mean.

EA
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I bought two new 4200 packs for a race weekend, I cycled them, ran them all weekend and re-cycled them after the race weekend was over. I was excited to see that the numbers were exactly what was on the label after a few charging cycles.

I put the recommended amount of charge to store them for a few weeks and pulled them out exactly 3 weeks later and found that the packs were below 5.4volts. I cycled them again and had lost 45 seconds from each pack cause and one cell was bad in each. I am now going to keep my cells fully charged during storage.

When you find the bad cell you gotta get it out of the pack because during charging that cell gets so much hotter than the rest of the cells in the pack. You are now overcharging it. I had a cell read 175 deg while the others where 128 deg when it peaked.

I personally won't charge any cells right in front of my face in my pit anymore since I realized this. It's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Proof in point IB recently just made the cells more robust or durable but to do that the average numbers went way down (lots of 1.22's and low to mid 1.23's with NO 1.24's at all)
EA
I'll take some of those.

Just to clarify, I was not referring to EA cells. Mine are Pro-Match. I just found Mr. Anderson's process somewhere and thought it seemed logical.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

i dont care if the number's are a little lower,i just dont want them to die so fast.oh and this is not just a trinity thing. the newer cells that iv seen the ir is higher again this may be a good thing,instead of 1.2 there 1.8.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Well. I made a big mistake and bought a Trinity 6C Team pack. To my suprise I found another dead cell at 0.0v. What the F!@#! I WILL NEVER BUY TRINITY BATTS AGAIN!
I never even recieved a reply from when I emailed them about the 1st pack that made me start this thread in Jan.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Getting a dead cell in a new pack sucks, but trinity should make it right. As others have said, try charging it at like 1 or 2amps it may perk up. Dead cells are hard to avoid cause the cells naturally discharge and sometimes sit on the shelf way too long

Originally Posted by Sean B.
I'm actually surprised that this is not more of a hot topic
Even more surprised that the 4200's are as popular as they are
because they are JUNK
It is a huge topic, read some of the other threads reguarding what batts to buy or comparing NIMH. The thing is everytime someone on this forum asks about NIMH they have 100 posts about how great and wonderful Lipos are, that and there are alot of threads already about batts.

Originally Posted by AEDave
These are crap and should be disallowed from the hobby, oh they explode as well,

The problem is (as I think EA pointed out) some people don't take proper care of their batts, besides what is the alternative, Lipo, you think that battery going was bad, treat a Lipo bad

Last edited by Big B; 06-23-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

I wouldn't just point the finger at trinity as this is common among all matchers and its really just down to how long the cells sit for. The two major rules for NIMH batteries are 1 don't take them down to 0 or anywhere near it (0.8 or higher is ok) and 2 don't let these cells get really hot on charge or discharge. Either of these factors kill the cells real quick.

Make sure you store the batteries with a decent amount of charge as IB's self discharge sooo quick.

Mike
Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 AM

Well all the other cels had voltage no lower than 1.1v+ and the one had 0.v.
I tried charging it with my APS as a single cell, but it wouldn't even recognize it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.