Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just experienced my second gear spur stripping off last weekend… was considering replacing my spurs with the 3racing low friction delrin sprurs… are they any good or should I buy the mugen spur gears instead???

I’ve also noticed that something’s rubbing of my stock engine brace, not sure if it’s the 2 speed shoe or the 2nd gear housing itself… am thinking of replacing the engine brace with the kawahara engine brace… would this eliminate this problem??? Any comments on using this kawahara upgrade???

Here a pic of the kawahara engine brace:
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-4-kawahara-rear-brace.jpg  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by twoo
Everyone at the Worlds was given 2 optional parts. The new hub does not seems to do much. It change your steering rod to be level with the track. Then some shim it back to close to where it was anyway. The second one is the carbon fibre camber link for the rear. It moves your camber link toward the inside with new holes.

With the limited partice time at the Worlds, it was difficult to see what the new part does.
Thanks for the insight, twoo. Definitely worth testing out. In carpet racing, sometimes it benefits having a little bump steer. Maybe not so noticable in nitro.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tantalus007
Just experienced my second gear spur stripping off last weekend… was considering replacing my spurs with the 3racing low friction delrin sprurs… are they any good or should I buy the mugen spur gears instead???

I’ve also noticed that something’s rubbing of my stock engine brace, not sure if it’s the 2 speed shoe or the 2nd gear housing itself… am thinking of replacing the engine brace with the kawahara engine brace… would this eliminate this problem??? Any comments on using this kawahara upgrade???

I would recommend any of the hop-upped braces, because I had the stripping problem too. The Derlin Spurs don't help, because you will just strip those too. I went to the Traxxas engine mount screws, and the Skyline brace. I still strip, but now it's after about a gallon of fuel, and before it was after every 3rd tank or so..
Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tantalus007

readjust the mesh first by angle, by looking from both bottom and top of the chassis, they should be parallel, then look at the full contact side by side, there should be full contact with the centax on and off, and finally if not enought contact, you should consider using a shim behind the collect. no need to use aluminum rear brace, a 6x0.2mm shim behind the pin of the 2 speed shaft will avoid the contact with the rear brace,
going to my 3rd gallon with the same spurs, by the way I use a one piece engine mount and I managed to strip a gear with it before readjusting as above
happy racing!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default stripping second gear

O.K.
I know evryone has a theory about this and I am going to share mine because sense I started doing this I have been able to get about 5 gallons and still going on the same spurs. First of all I quit running the 52t spur because it was the only one I stripped over and over(the pitch is wider onthis due to the fewr number of teeth to maintain the same diameter). Second and the most important part of this is to use loctite on all 4 upper engine mount scres and all 4 lower engine mount screws. I also make sure I install the upper screws to the mounts with the engine removed from tha car and I do this by removing the belt tensioner everytime I take the engine out. I use both the 3 and the 4 mm chassis and the prospec mounts.

Just my .02 cents
Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

got my last year and never strip a gear
but this is my 4th set of pinion gears
Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
ira
Tech Fanatic

YBSLOW, AMEN on the LOCTITE!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ira
YBSLOW, AMEN on the LOCTITE!!!!!!!
Waz up offroader?

My Ninja was nice in Vegas yesterday!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Got nearly 2 gallons through my car with zero 2nd gear issues. I do very similar to YBSLOW.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
ira
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Waz up offroader?

My Ninja was nice in Vegas yesterday!
The new R is the sh$$.
So you like the Ninja? I'm going to order the offroad ver. for the buggie.

Later
Old 10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

O.K.
I know evryone has a theory about this and I am going to share mine because sense I started doing this I have been able to get about 5 gallons and still going on the same spurs. First of all I quit running the 52t spur because it was the only one I stripped over and over(the pitch is wider onthis due to the fewr number of teeth to maintain the same diameter). Second and the most important part of this is to use loctite on all 4 upper engine mount scres and all 4 lower engine mount screws. I also make sure I install the upper screws to the mounts with the engine removed from tha car and I do this by removing the belt tensioner everytime I take the engine out. I use both the 3 and the 4 mm chassis and the prospec mounts.

Just my .02 cents
and a good 2 cents i kinda do the same thing (and as you know i am the expert) lmgdao.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Well good news Brad you must be doing it right because Wally almost does the same thing.lmao
Old 10-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by richey
Well good news Brad you must be doing it right because Wally almost does the same thing.lmao
thats right LMGDAO but realy most guys do it this way
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Theory

O.K.

Just my .02 cents
Thanks for your comment. I also got alot of spurs stripped on my car. I did
the same thing and its perfect. Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ira
The new R is the sh$$.
So you like the Ninja? I'm going to order the offroad ver. for the buggie.

Later
YBSLOW, Ira! How's it compare to other engines?

Ira, keep meaning to call you after work, but I always get tide up. What time do you usually get back from workout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.