SuperBrain 959 Surgery Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default SuperBrain 959 Surgery Gone Bad

I recently added a fan to my SuperBrain 959 via this set of instructions:

http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/brain_surgery.htm

I royally messed it up. Everything turns on, the fan and the display. I can even press the buttons to change settings but the Start Button does not work and neither does the red led above it. What went wrong? Besides the advice, get a real charger, can anyone throw in their 2 cents? Thanks...
Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

open it back up, check all solder joints, make sure nothing is cold soldered, or even too much solder that 2 points are now touching...... also make sure you didnt losen any connections... Those chargers are pritty simple, meaning not complexed inside...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I went through the whole thing and heated up all solder joints to make sure they were fine. Same result. It won't start charging.

If the resistor that I connected the fan to was damaged in anyway from leaving the soldering iron on it for too long, would the fan still turn on? I had a hard time getting the fan wire to stick to the resistor so I ended up soldering it on the bottom where the resistor meets the board). The only thing I can think of doing is replacing the resistor where the positive wire is connected.

What are the chances that the start button just happened to break right around the same time I did the mod? Some guy selling two of these on eBay said that one of his 959s just stopped charging altogether as well. Everything else works but the start button. Do you think changing the start button will work?