Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Default tire balancing

i just noticed that my wheels were shaking at throttle, especially on low speeds. is this the indication of unbalance wheels? i've check the CVDs for bends and they were fine. anyone have the same problem? im thinking of getting the trinity tire balancer what do u guys thing?
Old 01-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Describe the shaking. Does it wobble as it is rotating?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tire Balancing

Sounds more like:

- Bent Wheel
- Tire not seated on rim
- Wheel not mounted on axle correctly
- Tire not trued (foam)

If you decide to balance your tires just get a prop balancer they're about 1/2 the price of the Trinity tire balancer and work just as well.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dont bother with the trinity one, get a one of these. It becomes its own case, and the magnets work much better than any bearing.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by RCInfinity
Describe the shaking. Does it wobble as it is rotating?
yes. this is more noticeable at low speed. u can hardly see it at full throttle coz its spinning so fast.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Suspended

wtf? only three replies? ok now i know non of yall race with a balance wheels.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Suspended

does anyone balance their tires at all???!!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

If it is doing the same at slow speeds, it's most likely not the tires that are unbalanced. I had the same problem but it was b/c I put threadlock on my pin and it created a pile of hard guck on the inside of the CVD's. So I would just rebuild the CVD's and see what happens next. Try scraping out the remains in the CVD's.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by maxboost
does anyone balance their tires at all???!!
I've balanced my tire for years. I just use a prop balancer and some lead foil. Started after having a twitchy 1/8 scale on-road car that wouldn't negotiate the turn at the end of a long straight away. I do it with all my cars now but I'm not sure how much it helps running stock electric... but I do it just in case.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tire/Wheel balancing

Considering the time and effort required to properly balance a set of 4 rims and tires. I really have to question if it is worth the effort and then after one hit the rim is tweeked anyways.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

pops shure its wurth all the time & effort. Attention to detail is what wins races and could give U that extra tenth U need per lap
.......Bubba
Old 01-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Mab_man: That balancer is Da Bomb!

Pops: Depending on how much glue you apply around the tire, the inserts, etc., some wheels could end up WAY out of balance. Every little effort counts, even if they're not balanced perfectly.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Attention to detail is what wins races

bubbaicm;

Attention to detail is what keeps me in the top 3 most of the time. I've tried balancing tire sets before and question the return on the investment. You can spend HOURS going over every little detail of your Car, but what gain is there.
EXAMPLE: I just spent HOURS removing the Seals/Shields on all of the bearings on my electric Car (per recommendations). If there was any gain, I sure didn't notice it and the extra maintenance more than outweighs it. Solution, Teflon sealed bearings, a good compromise.
There may well be some gain by balancing one's tires/wheels, but for me the time is better spent elsewhere on the car, like Motor tuning/testing. Besides I just gave myself a good lesson on armature balancing today, but discovered a new area to focus on in making more power.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Attention to detail is what wins races

Originally posted by popsracer
bubbaicm;

Attention to detail is what keeps me in the top 3 most of the time. I've tried balancing tire sets before and question the return on the investment. You can spend HOURS going over every little detail of your Car, but what gain is there.
EXAMPLE: I just spent HOURS removing the Seals/Shields on all of the bearings on my electric Car (per recommendations). If there was any gain, I sure didn't notice it and the extra maintenance more than outweighs it. Solution, Teflon sealed bearings, a good compromise.
There may well be some gain by balancing one's tires/wheels, but for me the time is better spent elsewhere on the car, like Motor tuning/testing. Besides I just gave myself a good lesson on armature balancing today, but discovered a new area to focus on in making more power.
pops forget the shelds go ceramic 50% lighter and last longer less rotating mass saved 1ounce of weightwith this change. I ran 5x10 ceramic clutch bearings in my 7.5 kanai all season replaceing them with new ones after the ceramic balls cut through the metal races A WHOLE SEASON!
on a .21 Picco G1PRO Inever was able to do this before I changed to ceramic bearings. ACER Racing has these bearings cheep for ceramic bearings for all car kits. $119.00 just came off sale were $99.00 single bearings 7.99 ea. plus a lot of team drivers use them also........ Bubba
Old 01-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Default bubbaicm;

I ended up ordering the Teflonsonic bearings from Acer bearing. I couldn't justify paying more for the bearings than I payed for the entire car.
Once I get my electric car working just the way I want it, then maybe I will look into balancing the wheels/tires and see if it helps.

For an 1/8 scale I can easily see the benefit of the ceramic bearings. I MAY purchase an 1/8 On-Road later this year, but I'm still undecided. Between my Sons and myself we own 7 cars/trucks already and I'm the mechanic (just like Pops Racer) for all of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.