Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HVs, UMH or GP3300?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 12:31 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Default HVs, UMH or GP3300?

Well, it's about time for the winter season to kick off and for me that always means new batteries. I have been running SMC Sanyo HVs since around February of last year.

My Q is this: if you could recommend one of the three batteries, which would it be?

Most of the locals here are running UMH, though I have had great times with my HVs and I love being able to charge them at a high amp rate with no worries. A few guys are looking towards the GP cells but I don't want to jump into them only to see them replaced quickly (like the original Sanyo 3000H cells).

I do prefer to run only one type of battery, both for practice and competition, just for consistency's sake. So I normally buy 4-6 packs at a time and then run those for a season.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:33 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I think I'm being ignored 'cause I didn't post in the SMC thread.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Stick with the UMH, they have good voltage, plenty of runtime and they're proven. I've ran the GP3300's and we're already charging them at higher amp rates because even though they have gobs of runtime they seem flat throughout. Others at the track are having the same feelings. If you can afford it get 1 or 2 packs and judge for yourself and just resell them if you don't like them.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Futureal: So far we have found that the GP3300 has similar performance to the HV's upfront and if you go deep into the discharge curve the GP will be better because of it's extra capacity. The great thing about the GP's is that they seem to hold up better than any other NiMh cell. Runtime stays up and IR stays down. No need to tray or do anything special to them.

I suggest you try a pack and see for yourself.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Danny, which type of battery would be best for stock sedan racing from that list?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I too am happy so far with the GP3300. They feel just like my HV's but with more runtime. I had a pack of the UMH and they lose their runtime way faster than the HV's ever did for me. I sure hope these GP3300's hold up at least as well as the HV's do.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Matt,
It's Casey, from Md.
how is it going,

The gp's have impressive #'s
I have yet to use them, but have them all ready for the 12th scale

Danny, you guys runing these cells 2 -3 times a day , or use them like SMH's 1 time then store them

Casey
Old 09-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Company Representative

rcpilot: In our tests the GP's were as fast as the other cells in stock sedan. I talked to a really good sedan racer and he told me that he will be running the GP's from now on.

Matt: So far the GP's have proven to hold their numbers better than any other cell I have tested.

Casey: On the T-35 the second run of the day the AIR is a bit higher but when tested on the track the second run of the day felt as good as the first.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Danny...have you tested the Sanyo 3300HV's yet?

Old 09-25-2002, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, just asking... Is the Powers 3300 the same as the GP3300 cells? I looked at pictures and they seem to look very similar in terms of construction. Any comments?
Old 09-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Company Representative

BBSpence: The test cells of the new Sanyo 3300's aren't that impressive. Lower capacity than the GP's and higher AIR. Maybe the production cells will be different.

Kenneth: Yes GP makes the Powers and Yokomo 3300's so they are all the same cell.