"Silvercan" Racing - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Silvercan" Racing - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

I have struggled with the decision, but 13.5 turbo on a 1.8 Nitro asphalt track is crazy speeds.
If I disable turbo and turn down my EPA, i'll be 5 laps behind the leaders, not 2. That is not racing, it's just being on the track at the same time as other people.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
I have struggled with the decision, but 13.5 turbo on a 1.8 Nitro asphalt track is crazy speeds.
If I disable turbo and turn down my EPA, i'll be 5 laps behind the leaders, not 2. That is not racing, it's just being on the track at the same time as other people.
Got it, I thought you were just changing motors and not the class, didn't make sense.
Yeh, the "stock' classes are usually the most fun anyway if you don't get killed by silly power that some have and most don't.

PM Granpa for some simple tips to get your silver can in top condition.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Good: A $16 motor with a $23 ESC it is THE least expensive option for racing.

The Bad: Is not as maintenance free as Brushless, (but is less maintenance as rebuildable stock motors)

The Ugly: I'm running a silver can class at my track and am seeing the big difference between Johnson motors that come from Tamiya kits, and Mabuchi motors I purchased from Mabuchi. I need to dial down the throttle end point adjustment to reduce the top speed of my hotter cars. It wont be easy to use this as a means to keep other drivers cars even.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

I think the big point that everyone is missing is...
Silvercan Class is meant to be ENTRY LEVEL.
ie cheap so kids or those with families(ie no spare money) can afford it.
Because its still so cheap & fun , many racers stay in SC class for years.
Going BL WILL force alot of local racers out. They honestly dont have the spare $$ for ROAR BL motor & esc (on top of the usual tyres,bodies etc etc etc)

Want to run BL, hey still plenty of classes for that.
- cheats will still find a way to cheat with BL, will be easier as they arnt sealed.
- SC are reasonably maintaince free. In the last 9months, all Ive ever done in blow it out with compressed air & oiled it(sometimes). Its a few years old & 100% competitive
- SC are dirt cheap. ROAR spec BL are expensive
- BL are even more as varied in speed between models & makes.(than SC). It will just start a really expensive upgrade cycle as new model BL are faster than previous or other brands.

However, its just a matter of time before SC gets replaced with BL locally.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by F N CUDA

setup is overrated, the fastest motors always win the races and everyone knows it
You are kidding! I beat guys with faster engines all the time!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

How different things are on our side of the world...

Originally Posted by 1101
I think the big point that everyone is missing is...
Not around here, it's not. Not by a mile in some cases.

- cheats will still find a way to cheat with BL, will be easier as they arnt sealed.
Like being sealed keeps SCs from being modified...

- SC are reasonably maintaince free. In the last 9months, all Ive ever done in blow it out with compressed air & oiled it(sometimes). Its a few years old & 100% competitive
Over here you'd be a back marker with that routine.

- SC are dirt cheap. ROAR spec BL are expensive
Short term, yes. Long term, no.

- BL are even more as varied in speed between models & makes.(than SC). It will just start a really expensive upgrade cycle as new model BL are faster than previous or other brands.
The speed difference between different brands of brushless motor is minuscule compared to the speed difference between certain SCs.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jjfo80
You are kidding! I beat guys with faster engines all the time!
Of course I'm kidding. Setup is everything, but then...

Equal setups, equal driving skills but one with a bullet for a motor, who has a better chance of winning? (engines burn fuel right?)
Old 10-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

"I think the big point that everyone is missing is...
Because its still so cheap & fun , many racers stay in SC class for years."

Attaboy 1101. I,m the person you are talking about (except for the kid part)...well kinda. I will be for silvercan racing until we don't have them anymore. Forget what everyone says, they are not slow, they last a long time with about as much maintanence as a Frizbee. I still use some I have owned since the '80's for local stuff and new ones for series races. Go get'em!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mxrich
"I think the big point that everyone is missing is...
Because its still so cheap & fun , many racers stay in SC class for years."

Attaboy 1101. I,m the person you are talking about (except for the kid part)...well kinda. I will be for silvercan racing until we don't have them anymore. Forget what everyone says, they are not slow, they last a long time with about as much maintanence as a Frizbee. I still use some I have owned since the '80's for local stuff and new ones for series races. Go get'em!
Do you enjoy em when yours is maintained like a frisbee and the others are maintained like a science project?
Modified silver cans are sweet and I'm gonna get onboard and get mine up to speed when they are what's called for.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1) I think the big point that everyone is missing is...

2) Because its still so cheap & fun , many racers stay in SC class for years.
Going BL WILL force alot of local racers out. They honestly dont have the spare $$ for ROAR BL motor & esc (on top of the usual tyres,bodies etc etc etc)

3) Want to run BL, hey still plenty of classes for that.

4) - SC are reasonably maintaince free. In the last 9months, all Ive ever done in blow it out with compressed air & oiled it(sometimes). Its a few years old & 100% competitive

5) - SC are dirt cheap. ROAR spec BL are expensive

6) However, its just a matter of time before SC gets replaced with BL locally.
1) With that logic, F1, Mini and Sedan SC are for beginners only. The only time I see SC as beginner is if it is a Spec classification, like with TT01 chassis. Although you will still get cherry pickers, some of which I talked out of that class. GT3 (sedan) for example usually the emphasis is on tuning, cornerspeed and driving smooth. Is it wrong to want to save money on a class that has been around for years? It also gives me something to talk about when guys are figuring their setup.

2) Cheap fun is key here. I like BL, the way BL changes classes on a annual basis, it can be frustrating to keep up with those who are on top of the changes, especially locally.

3) A sealed BL to a certain spec could make it better for the hobby. A spec BL system should last much longer than any brushed motor. I have had 27t motors that could be ran for years still being competitive, not only BL changes, so does the ESC. I used to replace the arms and keep the can, which saved me money on 27T motors.

4) I had one SC that was ran locally for a solid year with mild maintenance, as long as you don't overgear, they will last. My numbers remained the same for that year. Bigger races, then you will have to spend more time massaging them. Usually locals, just want to race and have fun with little work done.

5) I do agree BL is more expensive, especially over the long period. Tires do not last, faster speeds & more torque parts break more and setups are more critical. Where as SC in local racing I can use the same tires all season easily. Look at minis guys run those tires until the threads are showing. Unless your running 21.5 or 25.5 then it wear should be lesser, unless guys figure out how to attain 17.5 speeds. Then you might be looking at a 27.5 and 30.5 motors which is hurting the hobby.

6) If SC motors are available, they will be around for a while. Just talk it up with the locals you race with and don't blow them away all the time with a specialty SC. I decided to quit the class at one time, the locals said we need you to keep running to see where we need to be.