Wiki Posts
Search

Tweaks for Nova P5XS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tweaks for Nova P5XS?

Hi all!

Im new to the forums. I've raced for years (go karts and electric RC) I took a couple years off but now Im back woo hoo!!! I bought a MBX5R. I power it with a modified P5XS and a Buillit Racing MSR-1005. The car is pretty fast, but there are a few cars that are noticeably faster. Where I seem to struggle is the tripples out of tight corners. What Im saying is I need more acceleration! What changes would you recommend I make? Turbo Head? Different Pipe? should I use thicker clutch springs? Any and all advice is much appreciated!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Clutch and gearing make more difference then anything. Stiffer clutch springs or lighter shoes will help. If you aren't over revving it on the straights try dropping a tooth on the clutch gear or going up a tooth or two on the spur.

Try some other pipes,

Try more nitro if you are running less then 30%.

You say the engine is modded. If they raised the exhaust port it will make more top end but less bottom making clutch and gearing even more critical.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Clutch and gearing make more difference then anything. Stiffer clutch springs or lighter shoes will help. If you aren't over revving it on the straights try dropping a tooth on the clutch gear or going up a tooth or two on the spur.

Try some other pipes,

Try more nitro if you are running less then 30%.

You say the engine is modded. If they raised the exhaust port it will make more top end but less bottom making clutch and gearing even more critical.
that pretty much hits the nail on the head !! i am thinking it is either the clutch needs all aluminum with 1.0mm springs , you could possibly be lean boggin' the engine (richen lsn), improperly geared , or too short of header (use header equal in length to dynamite or jammin pipes)and if you have two or more of these issues wrong , your car just might really suck
what tuner did you get the engine from ? (who modded)
later , monty
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Here is my engine. Its supposed to have a ton of low...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10261

I run the stock Mugen clutch with 1.0 springs. I run the dynamite Maxlife shoes. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10016 . I have noticed the shoes are showing more wear on the inner part of the shoe. Is there a break in procedure for the clutch shoes? Should I try different shoes? different clutch?

and as I mentioned I run the MSR-1005 pipe. Any suggestions as to what else to try?

And by your responses I get the impression that a turbo head would not help a great deal. I just thought they were supposed to be faster/better fuel economy etc etc...

Again thanks for the help guys

i would like to say that I am sure it has more to do with me than the motor. The car is pretty damn fast, dont get me wrong but I can tell there is more power to be found!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Tech Prophet

go buy a dynamite chrome header , that msr pipe has a short header and it is a top end pipe . trust me it will run 1 milllion percent better !!! i prefer the dynamite 086 pipe/header combo for most engines myself . (actually ofna 086 with the jammin header , its very brittle though) . also try the mugen light aluminum shoes with the 1.0 mm kyosho springs , i have seen many mugen springs break . yes scuff the shoes with a wire wheel on your dremel or 200 grit or higher sandpaper will do the trick . scuff the bell and the shoes . a little tip from your uncle mont
later , monty
as far as chris's mods , i have seen them run with him driving and they were definitely fast , just too bad he couldn't drive 'em . philip atondo did pretty good with one though . but i still beat em won 500$ !!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I tried the Max-life shoes recently. Buggy, truggy, and dirt oval 1/8 buggy. The shoes didn't hold up very long. They don't mushroom like normal aluminum shoes though. And after two weekends of racing on each set, they are all wore down pretty far. Kingheadz 7075 shoes need a bit more maintenance but they will last almost two gallons for me. I won't be running the Max-life shoes anymore.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Stock Mugen Aluminum shoes. Nova Rossi 86 with long header. Would like to try 53 and 9901 also. I just don't have them. A friend has a 53 that I might be able to try this weekend.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, thanks, thanks...

Just the help I needed.

Grazie!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Rookie

ok.... a couple more things. I am currently running the Nova Standard #6 Ultra Glow plugs. Is this a good plug? Or would a cooler plug give me a little more power? I understand Hot/Cold is more of a timing reference rather than temperature, I'm just not completely clear on the benefits of each. It sounds like Hot= a little more tuner friendly where Cold= more power yet more temperamental. Is this the right way to think of it?

also, I am still wondering if switching to a turbo head/plug would be beneficial in addition to the 086 pipe/header and light aluminum clutch shoes? It doesn't seem too expensive (round $30 for the button, another $30 for a few plugs). Is there anything else I would have to buy to upgrade to turbo? or would it even be worth it at all?

Thanks, you guys have been a huge help!!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

i was running a hot mod p5x w/os2050 pipe and that thing hauled...i was running with modded vspecs and pretty much anything else...i dunno much about various clutch setups as i run 1 which is two jammin blue(hard clutch shoes), and 1 carbon with blk 1.0 springs..and my car runs great...id say you need to mess with the tune a little as well..to get it quite right...i know i was running my nova 528 and it wasn't quick no torque at all...so i richened it up and still lean bogging..then i sat for a while and listened idle and low were to far in backed them out and retuned a little and wa lah a motor that runs as it should lol...good luck hope you figure this out
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Prophet

dont get me wrong , i support nova engines but lately we have bad novarossi plug after bad novarossi plug, turbo , standard , hot , cold it doesnt matter ! until that situation is figured out i will continue to run mccoy mc8 and odonnell 77 plugs , both killer plugs . turbo is a little more finicky , unless you are a good tuner and able to extract all the potential gains turbo can produce , i would say its not really worth it , also sometimes a turbo button doesnt prove to be any power gain at all .
monty

and a os 2050 on a p5 ? ive tried all lengths of headers with a 2050 and have not really seen the best of results as compared to 086 pipes . i did see a gain in fuel mileage though
Old 06-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Tech Adept

I run a novarossi p5xs engine with rb.no6 plug hongnor light weight long life clutch shoes 1mm springs and a 14t clutch bell in my mugen mbx5r against the stock spurgear also use a jp-03 pipe. i originally always ran 13t clutch bell but the lowend out of my engine was just to much so i geared it up honestly i can say my engine performs well in all areas and i have never had any problems also get 10min runtimes easily so i dont have to pit during the heats.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
dont get me wrong , i support nova engines but lately we have bad novarossi plug after bad novarossi plug, turbo , standard , hot , cold it doesnt matter ! until that situation is figured out i will continue to run mccoy mc8 and odonnell 77 plugs , both killer plugs . turbo is a little more finicky , unless you are a good tuner and able to extract all the potential gains turbo can produce , i would say its not really worth it , also sometimes a turbo button doesnt prove to be any power gain at all .
monty

and a os 2050 on a p5 ? ive tried all lengths of headers with a 2050 and have not really seen the best of results as compared to 086 pipes . i did see a gain in fuel mileage though

oh yeah runs better than great with 2050 it made plenty of all around power i am sure the o086 would give more top end...but the 2050 ran great especially at revelations raceway which has a long straight i could run with the best of em and still have it on the bottom to clear the other jumps.... on the 528 i ran a jp-3