Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Good job I just changed mine out on my bd7 for hpi silver (blacks) all round.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you notice that the old HPI spring say silver gold are softer then the new springs silver gold in black!!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho
have you notice that the old HPI spring say silver gold are softer then the new springs silver gold in black!!
Yeah, I generally switch between silver silvers and black silvers... I was lucky enough to track down 2 full sets of silvers and one set of golds
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

anyone tried SPEC-R springs? swap them with my silver blacks... seemed identical with the 2.7 springs. 2.5 identical to hpi blues the difference is they got 2.8 and 2.6 which are in between..
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but Scotty Ernst is holding an AOC championship (ala ETS) and one round is being held in my home town, Melbourne Australia. I thought I would post the link to the discussion should anyone be interested in a holiday down under

http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...tty-ernst.html

http://www.aocrc.com/

Sorry for the hijack

Cheers,
Jordan
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Is there an improvement with putting .5mm shims under the bulkheads? Also is it all the bulkheads including the motor mounts? It's for the 417x
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nolo148
Is there an improvement with putting .5mm shims under the bulkheads? Also is it all the bulkheads including the motor mounts? It's for the 417x
I haven't tried raising the bulk heads up. So I have no idea of the affect in the car when doing this. But to answer your Other question. You would have to raise everything up. So everything will line up properly.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CraigM
For the raceberry you need to raise the original 417 bulkheads 0.5mm and use 2.5mm shims under the top deck. Or just buy a set of the new F/R bulkheads - you're spending all that coin anyway

As I bought my 417X in used condition, it´s much cheaper for me with the raceberry kit. I don´t care about the old bulkheads, shims are cheaper.
Biggest invest was the V5 servomount, which you need.
As I unpacked the kit today, I´m pretty impressed on the quality, too.
Although I´m a big Tamiya fan since childhood, it feels good to have some german engineering on the car at the moment.
I hope it gives me some potential on the track. At the moment there are too many X-rays and hotbodies in my finals.

Br,
Matthias
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, considering getting a 417 v5. coming from a xray t3. just a few questions.

Is it good out of the box for carpet?

is the build good or does it require extra shimming?

does it come with strong out drives?

Is there any extra parts besides spares that are recommended to have during the build?

Thank you for any responses. I have been reading thru but too much info, so if i can get someone to sum up my questions i appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone know where the V5 blades are in stock?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rayrush
Hi, considering getting a 417 v5. coming from a xray t3. just a few questions.

Is it good out of the box for carpet?

is the build good or does it require extra shimming?

does it come with strong out drives?

Is there any extra parts besides spares that are recommended to have during the build?

Thank you for any responses. I have been reading thru but too much info, so if i can get someone to sum up my questions i appreciate it.
I dont know, im sure someone can answer that. I run ashpault.

The build is awesome, the manual tells you where you need to shim, just the suspention arms need maybe 0.2 mm less or you sand them 0.1 each side so it can move freely in the blocks.

It comes with steel front outdrives and aluminium rear outdrives. They are strong. If your looking for spares I recommend the arena outdrives for the front.

The v5 comes with all the extras that you would otherwise want. Dcj front, steel outdrives etc.. only thing I could mention would be the ball studs that go into the toe block, they are aluminium and bend easily in crashes, the fluorine or hard hex balls are better.
For the build you'll also need a few drill bitts for the c-hub and toe block (manual tells you)
As far as spares, belts, c-hubs, rear toe blocks, knuckles and arms(standard spares). I'd also recommend picking up some suspention blocks (spares) as the solid blocks can bend.

If your moving from xray and are seriously considering a tamiya, I wouldn't think twice, its a much better car. Be wear though that the tamiya is not as strong as the xray in the sense that it will tweak allot easier in a crash, so after every race if you have a huge hit, you'll need to de tweak the car where you might not have had to with the xray.
Good luck

Originally Posted by Slick990
Anyone know where the V5 blades are in stock?
I haven't seen them anywhere but I do know that they are released...
You can use the associated blades they are the same size and are strong.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for your detailed reply narcotics. The xray is very durable!

How do you de tweak the car?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you for your detailed reply narcotics. The xray is very durable!

How do you de tweak the car?
No worries
Loosen the top deck and shock towers etc to remove tweak ( you can usually feel the car un tweaking, it kind of pushes back against your driver, it's hard to explain unless you feel it)
You should do that with any car after a crash though.
I moved from xray to tamiya and would never look back for a second hahah
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

exactly why are your reasons why you moved from xray to Tamiya??

I am thinking about it because i just couldn't get the xray feeling right for me.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

exactly why are your reasons why you moved from xray to Tamiya??

I am thinking about it because i just couldn't get the xray feeling right for me.
I was running the t3 12 and it just wasn't responding the way I wanted it too and I didnt know too much about car setup at the time. I was getting tired of the xray and wamted to try something different, i was looking at different cars mostly the yokom, tamiya and the awesomatix. Then an opportunity to buy a 417x with spares and a good setup appeared, so I took it, ran that for a little while and then bought a v5. Since then ive learnt allot about car setup and the tamiya and my car is working really well at the moment, way better than the xray could be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.