Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

German beer, why am I in Minnesota
Enjoy that car now, and remember to bring the piston back to the bottom after every run before the engine cools down.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Hmmmm, beer!

I'll not forget about the piston - don't want to have to go to the dealer to get it released again!!

Just cutting some holes in the body work. As I don't have a 50mm hole cutter, and that I want to retain some strength, I've cut several holes in the front windscreen within an area of 50mm.
Anyone know if this would cause problems with the aerodynamics.

I also cut three holes into the rear windscreen, may add more if they are required.

Take a look to see what I mean:

http://www.geocities.com/mps_photo/705final/

Cheers, Mark
Old 03-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

more in the rear and just cut the front..
Old 03-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Do you use a drill attachment to gut out the front windscreen. How many holes do you reckon I should cut into the rear windscreen?

Ta, Mark.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Company Representative

ofna makes a great circle cutter for next to nothing...

i would cut two 50mm holes in the rear.. and the side windows out.....
Old 03-14-2003, 05:07 PM
DSR
Tech Apprentice

Default Rear anti-roll bar set adjustable

Does anyone know the exact parts & numbers needed to make the adjustable Rear anti-roll bar set work with the 705?

Also, when tightening the rear diff. halves together, how tight do you tighten? The book says to tighten really tight, but when I do this, the diff. seems to tight. Any explanation to this would be very helpful.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:39 PM
DSR
Tech Apprentice

Bump!!
Old 03-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Company Representative

you do not need the adjustable rear... trust me, if you use it you need to modify it to make it softer than its softest setting..

a tighter diff will push, a looser diff will hook, you need to tune to the track..
Old 03-16-2003, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Been to the track!

WOW!

Yesterday the track was closed for winter tidy-up, so I went today.

Got up this morning nice and early (06:30) to be sure of an empty track - don't want to make a fool of myself in front of every one also didn't want to be getting in the way of guys who really know what they're doing. My objective was in any case to run the car in and see how it feels.

I got to the track at 07:30 and was the only one there until I left at 09:30. I started out on my first run with a full tank and was happy to see that my clutch engages now nice and early The track itself is beautiful! It lies in the middle of a forest just south of the bavarian town of Nuremberg (Germany). The weather, too, was perfect, but cold (-1 degree C when I started off, but quickly warmend up).

I pottered round the track a few times just trying to come to terms with the controls, which will take me a while to master.
During the first tank full (one of my last of the rich run in cycle) I simply let the car roll through the corners, not using an brakes.
The car seems sensative to steering inputs (in a positive sense) and seems to roll through the corners very well.

After about 3/4 of an Hour, it was time to start leaning out the mixture - doing it about 1/8s per tank. I didn't have the intent to fully tune the engine, just to get back to the factory mixture setting.
Now I was able to start to give a bit more gas and allow the car to accelerate quicker - wow! this thing really moves!!
With the extra speed came the need to start to break for the hairpins....then wooosh!! the back end of the car broke loose and the car spun off the track! Ooops no damage, hmm maybe the setup is worse than I thought. I'd hadn't set anything up except putting the shocks on their softest setting - too soft as it turned out to be.
I didn't have time to start messing with the setup, so I simply continued with more caution. Then on the back straight, my rear wing flew off!!! Oh bugger, I thought, I'd forgotten to put screw-lock onto the screws afixing the wing to the car. I couldn't find the missing screw and had no spares, so continued without the wing

Now things were getting really tricky in the handling department. I'm not sure if it was simply because of the missing rear wing or the rich running engine had smeered the tyres with oil, but now the back end would break loose very easily - quite enjoyable for a while (certainly drifting through the 180 degree turns), but eventually made it impossible for me to run any faster.

After 8 full tanks and a great deal of fun, it was time to call it a day. Wow is my car ever dirty - hand't really expected it to have picked up so much dirt!! I cleaned some off at the track, but there is a lot which will need to be done at home.

All-in-all an absolutely tremendous first ever day at the track - the whole build process was well worth while and I'm now looking forward to setting up the car properly, so I can head out once more and put in some faster laps. There is a steep learning curve ahead of me, but I'm going to enjoy every bit of it.

A big thanks to all the guys who have helped me with their advice during my build process, especially InitialD and Modellor (lately also fmolzer, punisher and ammdrew).

I've put some pictures of my now non-virgin car on my website:

http://www.geocities.com/mps_photo/705afterrun/

If anyone could give me some hints as to the best way to remove all the dirt from the car, that'd be great

Cheers, Mark

PS a small pic of the track is here:

http://www.macn.de/_derived/strecke....zollhauskl.gif

I'll try and get a better one soon.

Last edited by markp27; 03-16-2003 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:17 AM
Company Representative

if you take some rear droop out it will hwlp with the back end getting wild under braking, also look at your tweak, i recommend the mip tweak station, pretty cheap, and works well.....

the winfg is a huge factor.. i use shoe goo under the screwss..
Old 03-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Hi ammdrew,

regarding tweak: is it true that tweak would also cause the car to break-loose or not travel is a straight line during hard acceleration?
Under acceleration, the car remains very stable and drives straight.

I'll get the rest of the setup sorted out.

The wing certainly did seem to have a large effect

Just cleaning the car - amazing how much grass and stuff got lodged into the belt spindles!
Cleaning the car seems quite involved: I've had to remove the radio plate to get access to the front belt - dust and dirt has stuck to every surface of the car.
Is it typical to have to spend a lot of effort cleaning the car after a days run?

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Company Representative

tweak will affect braking more than accelaration...

use a air compressor and the cleaning clay serp sells.. and yees it will take four times longer to clean than run..
Old 03-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply.

Is it ok to keep dismantling the car in this way? I mean: each time I run, that I have to take off the radio plate and/or other parts.

I'm just a little concerned about the wear the plastic parts may face, as I'll be regularly loosening and tightening screws in these parts.

Do you use any fluids on the car to remove the sticky oil coating, which builds up during the runs?

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:28 PM
DSR
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by markp27
Thanks for the reply.

Do you use any fluids on the car to remove the sticky oil coating, which builds up during the runs?

Cheers, Mark.
Mark,

I use the Serpent cleaning gum. It cleans up oil as well. It works great. Couldn't imagine cleaning the car without it.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default power switch

I have just about finished the build on my new 705. The quality of this kit surpasses any i have ever seen. Wow! My only complaint is that one of the holes in the right carbon side-brace wasn't counter sunk, and that one of the rear hex axel adaptors was machined incorrectly. Thankfully, I have an Impulse chassis I can use for extra parts. I have two questions:

1) How much run time does the Serpent receiver pack provide?

2) Where should I mount the power switch for the electronics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.