Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Which ESC has the strongest brakes for on road? >

Which ESC has the strongest brakes for on road?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Which ESC has the strongest brakes for on road?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Which ESC has the strongest brakes for on road?

I'm all Hobbywing xr10 ... but sometimes the brakes are not strong enough when it comes to braking late in corners.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Phillip F
I'm all Hobbywing xr10 ... but sometimes the brakes are not strong enough when it comes to braking late in corners.
Is it for stock or mod? XR10 would be one of the strongest. Can also try lowering brake frequency, or you can add some anti dive, stiffer front springs, thicker front shock oil, shim out the top of the front shocks
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

PRO PERFORMANCE RC XSC150P features 28 adjustable parameters that is quick and simple to adjust with a separate program device. Stock and mod firmware is included to maximize the performance of both. I was personally running Xr10pro’s before I tested the prototypes and on high bite with the Xr10pro had my brake strength at 100 on the esc and epa max on the radio and not enough brakes. I have yet to go over 85 percent brake strength on the XSC150P
Phillip F likes this.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hasselhoff
Is it for stock or mod? XR10 would be one of the strongest. Can also try lowering brake frequency, or you can add some anti dive, stiffer front springs, thicker front shock oil, shim out the top of the front shocks
not looking to flame you but is this true? If you apply brakes at 100% the transistor on versus off time is the same whether its high frequency or low frequency. Low frequency means the transistor is on much longer and off much longer. High frequency means the same just more on and off in a given period of time. The efficiency of a transistor goes down as the frequency gets higher resulting in more heat in the transistor. So if your trying to dissipate regenerated power from a motor in deceleration an inefficient transistor may be better at stopping the motor.

like I said I dont want to argue im just curious where that comes from and im open to being wrong.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

not really an answer but who actually needs 100% brakes. Is it like a really tight track or something? Maybe just brake sooner? What do the people at your track who are fast think? I've never had a problem with brakes but then again I'm not the most experienced. Just wanna know why.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

I race with a XR10 brake frequency is 1K at 100% still not enough to slow down and brake late from a high speed straight to 180 and 90 deg corners to be faster. .... this is racing ON ROAD.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Hobbywing ESCs are great, but are not known for their brake strength. Most people I've talked to suggest LRP brakes are much stronger.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bry195

not looking to flame you but is this true? If you apply brakes at 100% the transistor on versus off time is the same whether its high frequency or low frequency. Low frequency means the transistor is on much longer and off much longer. High frequency means the same just more on and off in a given period of time. The efficiency of a transistor goes down as the frequency gets higher resulting in more heat in the transistor. So if your trying to dissipate regenerated power from a motor in deceleration an inefficient transistor may be better at stopping the motor.

like I said I dont want to argue im just curious where that comes from and im open to being wrong.
Straight from the manual I guess:
"3F. Brake Frequency
The brake force will be larger if the frequency is low; you will get a smoother brake force when the value is higher"

@OP: Have you checked this setting (quoting the manual again)?

"3G. Brake Control
Option 1: Linear Hobbywing has recommended using this mode under all circumstances. The braking effect is a bit weaker in this mode than in Traditional brake mode, but it’s easy to control and brings great control feel.
Option 2: Traditional This brake mode is the same as to the XERUN series of ESCs, the brake force is stronger.
Option 3: Hybrid The ESC switches the brake mode between Linear and Traditional as per the vehicle speed to prevent the slide (between tires and track) from affecting the braking effect.
Note 6: Please select the right mode for your vehicle as per the track condition, motor performance, and etc"

Don't know how much effect this setting has, but maybe worth a try?
Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DirkW
Straight from the manual I guess:
"3F. Brake Frequency
The brake force will be larger if the frequency is low; you will get a smoother brake force when the value is higher"

@OP: Have you checked this setting (quoting the manual again)?

"3G. Brake Control
Option 1: Linear Hobbywing has recommended using this mode under all circumstances. The braking effect is a bit weaker in this mode than in Traditional brake mode, but it’s easy to control and brings great control feel.
Option 2: Traditional This brake mode is the same as to the XERUN series of ESCs, the brake force is stronger.
Option 3: Hybrid The ESC switches the brake mode between Linear and Traditional as per the vehicle speed to prevent the slide (between tires and track) from affecting the braking effect.
Note 6: Please select the right mode for your vehicle as per the track condition, motor performance, and etc"

Don't know how much effect this setting has, but maybe worth a try?
its pretty clear in those directions for sure and you have to go with what they describe.

However, brakes and throttle are a duty cycle at the esc. 10% throttle equals 10% on versus 90% off. 40% throttle is 40% transistor on versus 60% transistor off. The switching frequency of the transistor is fixed at say 1k or 4K by setting and the duty cycle is normally an on versus off time. Its kind of the definition of pulse width modulation.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

in all my many years of brushless esc use. I have found that the Quark MK3 has the best and strongest brakes and with the card you can put 150% brakes on esc..but its old and discontinued now.I have all the Quark esc.they were made in south korea in the day
Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Phillip F
I race with a XR10 brake frequency is 1K at 100% still not enough to slow down and brake late from a high speed straight to 180 and 90 deg corners to be faster. .... this is racing ON ROAD.
yup i race on road also. To get more from your brakes you can try adjust the settings i suggested, even thicker shock oil helps, i personally use the Tekin rs pro black edition which has the strongest brakes ive used. Ive had the xr10 before and it had good brakes for me
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The Hobbywing ESCs are great, but are not known for their brake strength. Most people I've talked to suggest LRP brakes are much stronger.
Ive used both and the brakes were quite similar, also depends on whether your racing mod or stock, FDR plays a role, car setup, i personally use the Tekin rs pro black edition and the brakes are ridiculously strong.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bry195

like the other guy said i was literally just quoting the manual haha personally never REALLY saw a difference in frequency change.. but setup plays a big part also
Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

1. Are you totally sure you are not locking up and thinking the brakes are weak since you are sliding? the strongest brake still has a traction limit max to slow you.
2. It makes no sense but I always get stronger brakes when I ran HW by setting reverse to 100%, no I'm not running reverse but it seems to help the brakes for HW
Old 08-15-2019, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
1. Are you totally sure you are not locking up and thinking the brakes are weak since you are sliding? the strongest brake still has a traction limit max to slow you.
2. It makes no sense but I always get stronger brakes when I ran HW by setting reverse to 100%, no I'm not running reverse but it seems to help the brakes for HW
I'll try this. thx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.