Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POOKYT
So it looks like you brushless guys are only using a fan on the speedo and not the motor right? The reason I'm asking is that I am wiring up all 3 of my fans so I can plug and unplug them as a set. Plus it looks like you cannot use the outer fans if your running the brushless set-up.

Brant
just gear it properly and you will be fine
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So it looks like you brushless guys are only using a fan on the speedo and not the motor right? The reason I'm asking is that I am wiring up all 3 of my fans so I can plug and unplug them as a set. Plus it looks like you cannot use the outer fans if your running the brushless set-up.

Brant
I'm not running one on my GTB, but I did put one on my 13.5 to see if cooling it down helped the fade I've been experiencing. It brought it down to the 120's, but didn't stop the fade. Gearing down helped, but didn't entirely fix the problem. The next step is to try a bigger LiPo. The ESC regularly comes off around 100 w/o a fan.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Brant
If you are running brushless you can run the outer fans with no problem.
The solder tabs need to be rotated to the back of the car.

With the Arizona heat here I tried running the outer fans and it did help but I have decided to put the stator sleave heatsink on.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle478
With the Arizona heat here I tried running the outer fans and it did help but I have decided to put the stator sleave heatsink.
That should make outdoor racing in August around here exciting. Have you been able to use the stator heatsink in the Type-R? From what I can tell, you'll have to remove the bulkhead to insert the motor if it's got that heatsink on it.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by syndr0me
That should make outdoor racing in August around here exciting. Have you been able to use the stator heatsink in the Type-R? From what I can tell, you'll have to remove the bulkhead to insert the motor if it's got that heatsink on it.

Yes i ran the heatsink and it makes a huge difference. I think there are 6 screw you have to remove to get the bulk head out.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Brant

You CAN use the outer fans for brushless; take a look at the photo (just visible) of my wiring job to prove it.

Last edited by J.Filipow; 07-24-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
You CAN use the outer fans for brushless; take a look at the photo (just visible) of my wiring job to prove it.
Yo Super J!!! I only see a fan on your speedo. maybe I'm missing the others but we were talking about the fans for the motor.

Brant
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Duckman--Thanks for the pic! Looks good the way you have it laid out.
BTW---did you seperate the red/blk/white speedo wires and then run them in the fins on the GTZ heat sink? From the pics that is what it looks like. If so then that is awesome!!!!

Brant
Yeah - I did run the wires through the heatsink... I actually used a new lead from the receiver, routed it around the servo and then soldered it onto to GTX prongs. I was tired of worrying if the plug would come undone in a race. I also wired a new switch and soldered those leads on as well... It makes for a really clean finish on the wiring and eliminates the worry that the plug will come undone from the speedo (since its mounted sideways, that increases the chances).
Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi all,

Well, I now have my car wired up and setup ready for a bit of tarmac running, hopefully on monday. Have the car setup as the kit asphalt setup (Spool, F; 15lb, 0.4" bar, low rc, R;10lb, 0.3" bar, low rc), anyone got any other tips/tricks to help on it's way?

One thing I have noticed, I've had to reduce the EPA on my steering servo down to 60% L&R to stop the horn hitting the top deck. Now I assume that because of the short amount of servo throw required to get full lock, that the steering might feel quite twitchy... how much curve/expo do people run on there steering with the car?
Bear in mind, I'm coming from a tamiya where full lock takes about 90-95% of the servo throw, and with that I tend to run around -15-20% curve.

Cheers
Ed
Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by duckman996
Yeah - I did run the wires through the heatsink... I actually used a new lead from the receiver, routed it around the servo and then soldered it onto to GTX prongs. I was tired of worrying if the plug would come undone in a race. I also wired a new switch and soldered those leads on as well... It makes for a really clean finish on the wiring and eliminates the worry that the plug will come undone from the speedo (since its mounted sideways, that increases the chances).
you da man
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yo Super J!!! I only see a fan on your speedo. maybe I'm missing the others but we were talking about the fans for the motor.

Brant
Pook- You are right, but I was trying to illustrate the point that if you solder your motor leads to the brushless endbell the way I have in the photo, you CAN put fans on the 'endbell'.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

I'm building the typr r. I see the front and rear suspension has so much slop. Where can I buy the shims and in what size thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Pook- You are right, but I was trying to illustrate the point that if you solder your motor leads to the brushless endbell the way I have in the photo, you CAN put fans on the 'endbell'.

lol I figured that out after one of the other guys posted his pics too. HEHE

Brant
Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ioxqq
I'm building the typr r. I see the front and rear suspension has so much slop. Where can I buy the shims and in what size thanks
This is just my opinion and others need to chime in on this for their experiences.

Over all the years I have driven Losi vehicles, the play in the arms and such really used to drive me nuts. I spent hours shimming this or that and after many years of I finally came to the realization that either I didn't drive well enough to know the "play" was in or out of the suspension. I gave up on it unless it was really in excess. Usually if it was in excess then I needed to replace some worn parts. I guess what I mean by all of this is that you probably need to drive the carfirst then shim stuff out to see if you can tell the difference. Hope this helps.

Not to mention that after I spent time to shim things perfectly, it seemed than within the next two battery packs I would break an arm or something and the shims went flying!! Total frustration and I just said no! LMAO

Brant
Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioxqq
Just take some standard 3mm shims. I used 0.5mm on the rear, and 0.3mm on the front. I used the tamiya ones avaliable in thoose sizes, as I had some too hand.
HiH
Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.