Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

"the engine break in bible"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I used to wrap my cooling head with one of my kid's old socks.
But these Cylinder Cozy's from GMK Supply work much better

Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
I used to wrap my cooling head with one of my kid's old socks.
But these Cylinder Cozy's from GMK Supply work much better

I use some alum foil folded so it's about the size of the head. It works great and I don't have to worry if I need to hit it again with the heat gun to keep the temp up.
I use
Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

I'm flattered that my post from 4+ years ago the S-Grid has made it here to RC Tech as a "break in Bible." It was written quickly in response to someone asking a question on the Starting Grid, and if I had known it would was going to make its way around the interwebs a billion times, I probably would have spent more time writing it & clarifying more things, LOL.

Houston, thanks for spreading the message...helping people is all I really care about, and is the reason I took the time to write that all up in the first place. If someone has been helped from this post, I'm happy.

Still, it would be ultra cool to receive some sort of acknowledgment in your original post, since it does come across as though you've typed them in as your own words. No big deal.

BTW, the method I wrote about is certainly not exclusively my invention. It's just a method I put my own twist on and wrote about after learning as much as possible from RC'ers much more experienced and smarter than I am I've been fortunate to talk engines in detail with experts like Ron Paris, Rody Roem, Steve Pond, Dave Gierke, Jim Hottinger, Ed Bridges, Alberto Picco..the list goes on. This break-in method is the result of learning from those guys, and it has worked for a lot of people.

Enjoy guys, I rarely visit forums but was told about this thread so I thought I'd drop by. Good luck breaking-in your next engine, no matter what method you choose.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

perfect , thanks stephen .

i thought that was from one of rons postings (RIP) but apparently not .

decent article to get a new nitro racer somewhat in the know for sure .

thanks for helping and keep on keepin on bro , try out the NW scene sometime ? its pretty fun up here and fairly competitive

happy motorin',
monty
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Monte, I rarely make it up that way but the times I've visited, I'm always impressed with how beautiful that area of the country is. I'd love to come race some RC up that way. Keep me in the loop if there are any big races coming up where an R/C Car Magazine editor would be welcomed

[email protected]

LOL...btw I had no idea that my original "StephenB" log-in was still active until I tried posting just now. I started up an all new account but didn't realize this one was still going. Oops!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by StephenB
Monte, I rarely make it up that way but the times I've visited, I'm always impressed with how beautiful that area of the country is. I'd love to come race some RC up that way. Keep me in the loop if there are any big races coming up where an R/C Car Magazine editor would be welcomed

[email protected]

LOL...btw I had no idea that my original "StephenB" log-in was still active until I tried posting just now. I started up an all new account but didn't realize this one was still going. Oops!
i know many of the "guys" in rc racing and have heard you are a pretty kool kat . would love to get you up here and hang out with the nw guys for a few days .

there are always 250+ entry NCT races throughout the summer months up here . there will be one here in portland in july i believe

http://www.northwestchampionshiptour...l-6.10/node/21

http://www.northwestchampionshiptour...l-6.10/node/20

here is the next two
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

houston,
do you have any info for breaking the engines on the Hudy bench?

Thanks and have fun

ALG
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ALG
houston,
do you have any info for breaking the engines on the Hudy bench?

Thanks and have fun

ALG
Break-in bench running isn't any different; vary the RPM as it runs, wrap the cooling head w/a sock or one of those foam insulators from GMK, and keep it on the slightly rich side. The Hudy bench is a great way to control break-in but at the end of the day you'll spend more time mounting the engine to it & running it than you would installing it in your car/truck and breaking it in there IMO.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by stephen_bess
Break-in bench running isn't any different; vary the RPM as it runs, wrap the cooling head w/a sock or one of those foam insulators from GMK, and keep it on the slightly rich side. The Hudy bench is a great way to control break-in but at the end of the day you'll spend more time mounting the engine to it & running it than you would installing it in your car/truck and breaking it in there IMO.
not a fan of the hudy bench but...... if i had more than 5 a day to run in i would do it in hudy bench's with a special throttle oscillator
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
not a fan of the hudy bench but...... if i had more than 5 a day to run in i would do it in hudy bench's with a special throttle oscillator
any pix to show pal ?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Wenbiao
any pix to show pal ?
i would have to make one
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

this method has been used by top supercross/motorcross/superbike teams for a long time so its nothing new. The main diff is the its done in 3 stages. This was the method i used on all my race bikes and will use on anything thats needs a breakin
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RockStar_199
this method has been used by top supercross/motorcross/superbike teams for a long time so its nothing new. The main diff is the its done in 3 stages. This was the method i used on all my race bikes and will use on anything thats needs a breakin
little different with bikes as they have rings / reeds .

nobody said it was new and i believe this article was from 4 or 5 years ago
Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Houston,
When you break in this process do you use the nitro mix and oil mix you are going to be racing with or do you use less nitro more oil?

Like using 25% nitro and 8% oil?

Or use 20% nitro and 12% oil?

I would asume using the race spec petrol as less oil to compress. But with the way caster works if the engine over heats the caster comes into play and saves the engine.

If i have confused you i am sorry lol

Thank in advance.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Initiate

what does "BDC" mean when houston mentions it in the break-in proccess???

Every 2-3 minutes, shut the engine down & let it cool completely with the piston at BDC, and then fire it back up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.