Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When I look at the R manual, it shows them held on with locknuts. I was under the impression that captured would be more like how the Losi 8 is. This is an extra point to get to if one wants to remove just an arm or hingepin rather than just removing a plastic plate and pulling it [the hingepin] out.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The locknuts are pretty easy to get off. They are a little more difficult to put on. The rear ones are not bad. The fronts are tricky to get back on unless you have the front clip off the chassis.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Sorry double post.

Last edited by windellmc; 11-21-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

The hinge pins are threaded, not captured.

To me, captured is what the Losi, Xray, and AE have.

Rezen- I had 5 arms break on me ( in 1 month ) and trying to change arms with the threaded hinge pins was a MAJOR pain in the arse, especially between qualifiers.

Before the bashing begins with " I've never broken a part on my car , you must not be a good driver " nonsense, I can drive. The 5r was THE worst car Iv'e ever owned with regards to breaking things. The arms have absolutely no flex at all. I've owned 2 mbx5's ( 3 including the 5r) ,cl-1, 8b, 3 x xb8tq's, xb8, not to mention the 20+ other cars I've owned.

Other than the stiff as a board arms and hine pins, it was a great car. I think they tightened up the tolerances a bit with it as well. Shocks are better too.

Get some e-clip hinge pins and call it a day.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On the Losi I have 13 gallons on it, and as of 3 weeks ago I have replaced EVERY single part on the buggy. I have only bent the chassis and stripped a few ball ends. But I do a full rebuild before every race day, and before qualifiers if its a HUGE club race like Revelations. Why I didn't just buy a new rolling chassis...I had a brain fart.

My decision is between the R and the Xray EC. I know what most of you in this forum will say

Eddy, thanks for the info on the arms. The jumps on my local track are pretty small, and are more timing than pure speed, but we now have landings for every jump. Check SBRCCA.ORG for pics of my local track and you'll see.

No doubt I love the Xray, and quality is great, however I have never seen an Xray drive as well as I would like, BUT I know I am not at pro level, so my lap times most likely won't change drastically with either an Xray or Mugen vs my Losi. At Rev, I hang in there pretty well in the Novice / Amateur class when I head down there.

I DO NOT have an LHS, so all my parts are ordered online or via my old LHS in Covina near Revelation (Elite Hobbies, coolest hobby shop I have been to and Ian the owner has always been very helpful AND friendly, they will likely never loose my service)

After going through the build manual, I do like everything else on the car, despite not being a fan of PBS (I hated how the track width is a pain to adjust symmetrically)

Im on a teeter totter here: Xray EC and Mugen R, and slightly leaning Mugen at this point. Either way I will be pleased.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

That was my dilema aswell, xray or mugen, i couldnt decide. Ive driven the xray before the EC and it wasnt bad, and the quality of materials on it was awesome so i was leaning towards the EC then i drove the mbx5r and WOW!, i was sold immediately and went and ordered one
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Get yourself a little 2 dollar spanner, u can keep the e-clips would much rather the threaded pin....
Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've owned the Mugen buggy since 2004. For three years I used e-clips and never had an issue. Then for the 2006 Nats at the Farm2 I bought a new ProSpec and had my first set of threaded hinge pins. Then the MBX5T and my MBX5R came with them also. I don't have any issues getting the locknuts on or off. I use a set of skinny needle nose pliers and it's a piece of cake. I can say though that the threaded pins are more of a pain in the arse than the e-clips. If you want to change the rear toe block, you have to pull the entire pin out dropping the arm and CVD. With the e-clips you just popped off two clips, removed the 4 screws and changed the toe-in block. EASY! I used the same small needle nose to put the e-clips on & off and that was just as easy as the locknuts on the threaded pins. Both pins are the same strength & weight so there is no advantage there. It's just a preference thing.

Best regards,
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

i can take apart the whole front end of a mugen and have it back together (gear case and suspension off but not rip apart the gear box) in 20 minutes and that is talking/arguing with my dad at the same time lol
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
the hinge pins on the R are captured...
only 1 end of one set of hinge pins is what i would considered captured in a traditional sense the other end uses an eclip on the captured, the rest are lock nutted...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi!i want to know if the titanium screws are stronger than the stoch onedoes anyone use them?how much weigth can i save with them?is better to use some other screw kit like TONY"S?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I must buy the plus kit,or the standar one?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
hi!i want to know if the titanium screws are stronger than the stoch onedoes anyone use them?how much weigth can i save with them?is better to use some other screw kit like TONY"S?
Hi! im using the mugen titanium screws set A-B. Not much weight difference and i dont think its any better than the stock ones. According to our online Mugen Guru Mr. Ryan Barnes(any news from him?) better use TONY Screws.
okiokioki Go Mugen Power!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sandrixx
Hi! im using the mugen titanium screws set A-B. Not much weight difference and i dont think its any better than the stock ones. According to our online Mugen Guru Mr. Ryan Barnes(any news from him?) better use TONY Screws.
okiokioki Go Mugen Power!!!
Yea weres Ryan been he used to be on here all the time he was the best to help with setups
Old 11-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
only 1 end of one set of hinge pins is what i would considered captured in a traditional sense the other end uses an eclip on the captured, the rest are lock nutted...
what??? neither ends of my hinge pins use a eclip...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.