Search
Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Thompson 2
Had a good day at the track this weekend, had a bunch of help from JKirkwood on getting the car set up, as there are so many adjustments you can make on this car that I'm not used to. I qualified second behind Kirkwood for the main, gambled and chose the wrong tires so I just had to drift around for a dissapointing fifth. Had third in the last corner but jabbed the brakes too much to get the car to slide out and hit the tube, losing two spots. Oh well. Went to 0 down wide 2 down wide to try to settle the car down in some rough stuff, and that helped a lot. Thanks Jared for your help!
You're welcome.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I was there this weekend Adventure RC in Louisville. Jared and Eric's cars looked good all day until tires got Eric. I was running decent lap times earlier in the day, had a brain fart and didnt race my second qualifier. Then when the 3rd round came I just wasnt very consistent! I ended up bumping into the B, but tires got me there and i was 1.5 secs slower than earlier in the day!

This is still a very new car to me, I have a lot to learn about setup, and I need to get a lot more practice. That being said, best buggy ever! I enjoy driving it very much and I have no doubt Ill be up to pace very soon. Leeanna is running the rear motor and she had a great time learing it as well!

Thanks to jkirkwood, and Eric Thompson 2 for putting up with my questions!!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nissan240
I was there this weekend Adventure RC in Louisville. Jared and Eric's cars looked good all day until tires got Eric. I was running decent lap times earlier in the day, had a brain fart and didnt race my second qualifier. Then when the 3rd round came I just wasnt very consistent! I ended up bumping into the B, but tires got me there and i was 1.5 secs slower than earlier in the day!

This is still a very new car to me, I have a lot to learn about setup, and I need to get a lot more practice. That being said, best buggy ever! I enjoy driving it very much and I have no doubt Ill be up to pace very soon. Leeanna is running the rear motor and she had a great time learing it as well!

Thanks to jkirkwood, and Eric Thompson 2 for putting up with my questions!!
Glad you and Leeanna are enjoying the cars.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Rookie

I ripped a ball stud out of the rear bulkhead this weekend.. Wondering if their going to be making a carbon fiber or aluminum bulkhead.. I would also like to see some of theball studs nutted on the backside, seems like the plastic is a lil weak when threading into it. Or am I doing it wrong??
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Noslo50
I ripped a ball stud out of the rear bulkhead this weekend.. Wondering if their going to be making a carbon fiber or aluminum bulkhead.. I would also like to see some of theball studs nutted on the backside, seems like the plastic is a lil weak when threading into it. Or am I doing it wrong??
I have not heard of this being an issue. I always make sure I am threading the ballstud straight though, I did notice on one of mine I went in sideways and it pulled it out easily, but since I started slowing down, and concentrating on putting in it straight, no issues.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Captcha
I have not heard of this being an issue. I always make sure I am threading the ballstud straight though, I did notice on one of mine I went in sideways and it pulled it out easily, but since I started slowing down, and concentrating on putting in it straight, no issues.
I was leery of the mount when I built mine, but it has stood up to much abuse since without issue.

Similar to what Captcha said, it helps to per thread the holes that a ballstud goes into. I use a power driver and screw to do it, then my ballstuds thread in perfectly.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Try inserting a setscrew in the hole that is not being used, it helps keep the stud from moving.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I will say I am new to the hobby again,, And I have been crashing a lot..But a carbon bulkhead would be sexy...Hint Hint..
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Not the ideal fix in this situation, but I';l use a hobby helicoil (super glue) in that situation. Best would be to a long ballstud there and run a nut on the other side of it, but my car isn't in front of me right now and I don't have it memorized to know if that's a feasible option. You can also shave some slivers off of an older part that has softer plastic on it (bumper for a b4) is what I use then screw the ballstud in to make new threads. That and a setscrew I would say are your best options.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

The problem with a cf bulkhead is that that would take away flex from the rear of the car and make it really stiff side to side.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Eric ,on just that lil piece??
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Talking

Hey guys, coming from the B5M to this MM car was very pleasing on the weight front. I'm running 17.5 stock class and plan on running this car at the JConcepts Stock Nationals in a couple weeks.

Built the car quickly to try and get it on the track yesterday, in fact I missed both heats and only got to run one Main. I had to purchase a set of rear shock shafts due to a stock shaft not having threads for the top bolt. Other than that the kit was also missing one of the shock bushings. Annoying, but at least I was at OCRC where they had stock in the items I was needing . I was running 2nd quite well, but I setup the car WAY too stiff so it was causing the car to do some awesome looking flips in the whoops section on nearly every pass so I dropped down to something like 3rd or 4th in the heat. I'm sure I'll get this buggy squared away and dialed into my driving style pretty quickly, I can't wait! OCRC sold out of them already! WOOT.

Anyhow, I used aluminum screws in about 95% of the car and am running Kyosho Aluminum front axles as well. Besides that the car is bone stock and tips the scale at only 1460g!!!! Now I get to place weight wherever I want!

Coming from the B5M I had Aluminum screws, Pucks system, lightened topshaft, aluminum shock bushings, titanium turnbuckles and it still weighed in at 1520grams... UGHhh...

Current car setup:
Shorty servo
aluminum screws
Teken Pro RS2
Reedy Mach2 17.5 running 30/70 (amazed by the top end and acceleration!)
Dirt Webs (clay compound)
Wing with +2
Ride height 23 all around, most other stuff is setup as box setup (had AE 35wt oil and it was WAY too stiff)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tropmonky
Hey guys, coming from the B5M to this MM car was very pleasing on the weight front. I'm running 17.5 stock class and plan on running this car at the JConcepts Stock Nationals in a couple weeks.

Built the car quickly to try and get it on the track yesterday, in fact I missed both heats and only got to run one Main. I had to purchase a set of rear shock shafts due to a stock shaft not having threads for the top bolt. Other than that the kit was also missing one of the shock bushings. Annoying, but at least I was at OCRC where they had stock in the items I was needing . I was running 2nd quite well, but I setup the car WAY too stiff so it was causing the car to do some awesome looking flips in the whoops section on nearly every pass so I dropped down to something like 3rd or 4th in the heat. I'm sure I'll get this buggy squared away and dialed into my driving style pretty quickly, I can't wait! OCRC sold out of them already! WOOT.

Anyhow, I used aluminum screws in about 95% of the car and am running Kyosho Aluminum front axles as well. Besides that the car is bone stock and tips the scale at only 1460g!!!! Now I get to place weight wherever I want!

Coming from the B5M I had Aluminum screws, Pucks system, lightened topshaft, aluminum shock bushings, titanium turnbuckles and it still weighed in at 1520grams... UGHhh...

Current car setup:
Shorty servo
aluminum screws
Teken Pro RS2
Reedy Mach2 17.5 running 30/70 (amazed by the top end and acceleration!)
Dirt Webs (clay compound)
Wing with +2
Ride height 23 all around, most other stuff is setup as box setup (had AE 35wt oil and it was WAY too stiff)
Try white AE springs front and rear, drop oil to 27.5 all around, use 2X1.6 pistons on all corners.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey guys I just finished building my car and cruising the thread. I noticed that quite a few people are discussing using wide setup. Is that accomplished witht he pill inserts or are they making the rear of the buggy wider?
Also where can I get a break down of how to use the pill inserts? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The AE White springs are the same rating and kinda funny cuz that's what I was running the first time out. Another person at the track (he was running some of the fastest laps that night the FIRST NIGHT he had the car out there) switched the rear springs between the stock pinks and AE Whites and he said that the AE Whites allowed the rear to drop a lot more and liked the Serpent Pinks better.

I just rebuilt the shocks with the stock shock oil that comes with the kit, I noticed it's about exactly the same CST rating as Losi 25wt. I'm using 2x1.6 pistions all around. I set the ride height about 23.25 front and rear (rear spring holder is all the way up). I did the drop tests and it looks exactly like I want it.

Plus, on the first run out there all the ballcups and such were FRESH and tight. Now everything is nice and free moving. I can't wait to get it back out there. I didn't realize that my car was that light when I put it out there to race, a little added weight will help smooth the suspension out a little bit more I'm sure.

I tell ya, I was so excited when I got the B5M, but then was let down by the fatty weight, it feels good to get a car that is designed right from a weight standpoint without having to go out and get a ton of other lightened stuffs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.