Wiki Posts
Search

Off Road track question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Post Off Road track question

Hi:
I was reading the article in the rc car action magazine of the ROAR midified off road nationals (octuber 2004) and I noticed that this track has a lot of grip and as i read the article in the fast facts part say that the track is treated with calcium chloride and sugar water top coats. Its says that this treament is super abrasive.

I have a off road track here in Puerto Rico and my track is done in hard pack clay too. The track has a good grip when its dry but when we sprinkle water over it the grip get better.

Just wodering if the calcium chloride reacts with the sugar and water to create like a strong coat to that create that kind of grip?

all your help will be appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Off-Road Dirt

We were at the Mod Nats, and watched in amazement as they literally poured 50-pound bags (in the plural) of sugar on the track, added a small amount of water, and let it sit overnight. While this process would yield some improvement for a while on the clay tracks we're used to here in the midwest, it would be followed by a sticky mess. But the desert sand they have to work with in Albuquerque responded well to this treatment.

In fact, the track got packed so hard it was like racing on concrete, and tires would go from new to partly bald in one battery pack and would be junk after two. While it is probably exactly what the ARCOR folks need to do with their dirt to make a consistant racing surface, I suggest you try it on a small part of your track and see what happens before you do the whole thing.

Some tracks around here will occasionally spray on liquid calcium chloride to increase traction and reduce dust, but mostly we simply learn how and when to water and the traction and dust reach a happy medium. After all, this IS off-road!!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Calcium Chloride is a dessicant and will attract water. They spray it on gravel roads around here to keep dust down. It should work great on a track since if you live in a humid area it will pull moisture out of the air to water the track. Also when you water the track it will hold onto the water. The only down side is that is a little corrosive like salt water.
They used to add Ca Cl to water they put in tractor tires to increase traction by the addition of weight. In this use the Ca Cl is only used as an anti freeze.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Ok...

Thanks guys for your help!!! I will let you know about the results later!
Old 10-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

the calcium chloride also gets hardpacked when is laid down and wet, similar to the sugar. its like soft asphault baby

we used to use the stuff on farm tractor paths. put it down heavy enough and it makes a nice hard surface.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ARCOR out here has crazy traction!! I just wish they would keep it like it was for Mod Nats, nice and smooth (now they just let it get rutted and nasty from the gas cars) but you better have a chassis protector or you will end up like me with huge scratches o nthe bottom of your chassis...Our dirt out here is the only dirt that really reacts to the asugar treatment..lucky us but also our dirt reguarly is the worst dirt in the world to raceon...loamy
Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Right...

Thanks for help and time! I just want to have a dirt treament so the dirt can last longer in top condition becuase here in the area rains a lot! I will sure give this treatment a try!

thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by rc10gt82
ARCOR out here has crazy traction!! I just wish they would keep it like it was for Mod Nats, nice and smooth (now they just let it get rutted and nasty from the gas cars) but you better have a chassis protector or you will end up like me with huge scratches o nthe bottom of your chassis...Our dirt out here is the only dirt that really reacts to the asugar treatment..lucky us but also our dirt reguarly is the worst dirt in the world to raceon...loamy
That's too bad, the track (aside from the tire wear) was really nice to race on.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

"but also our dirt reguarly is the worst dirt in the world to raceon...loamy"
Remember when off road was like, OFF ROAD?
Up here in Wi., the tracks are packed/loamy and tires last half a season. The tracks get rough but that's fun to me.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I just started racing about a year ago and never really truly raced OFF ROAD but it sounds like it would be fun. Now everyone is caught up in setups and the tires last for a race wekend. Sometimes i wish it wasnt like that but thats how rc has evolved. I would sure like the track to be loamy or hardpacked and not have a thin layer of dust on it so that i could find decent tires to hook up
Old 10-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Yeah, the tough thing is keeping the track moist. I'll be the first to admit, it's easier to maintain a consistent track surface with a blue groove track. Anybody remember Schumacher Cat spikes?
Old 11-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Davidka
"but also our dirt reguarly is the worst dirt in the world to raceon...loamy"
Remember when off road was like, OFF ROAD?
Up here in Wi., the tracks are packed/loamy and tires last half a season. The tracks get rough but that's fun to me.
Same thing at where I race.. actually all the tracks around here in WNY are like that! ITS SO FUN!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

There aren't many tracks like that(loamy) that I know of . Though I can think of 3 right off the bat.