2002 IFMAR Worlds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2002 IFMAR Worlds

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

sad to say if it is due to money then how can the US expect entries from the rest of the world when the dollar is so strong a currency !!!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razzor
sad to say if it is due to money then how can the US expect entries from the rest of the world when the dollar is so strong a currency !!!
The dollar is not so strong anymore and getting worse.

Plus dollars don't matter when Europe has paid professionals coming out of the woodwork. You don't care about other peoples money as much as your own
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not so sure that its about money, the Neo 09 event here in the UK back in April (1/8th buggy) attracted a lot of top US drivers, as well as other nationalities.

In fact, heres the numbers:

Austria (4), Belgium (2), Brazil (1), Czech Republic (3), Finland (1), France (13), Germany (9), Greece (6), Indonesia (1), Ireland (1), Italy (2), Japan (1), Malta (2), N.Ireland (1), Norway (8), Portugal (8), Slovakia (2), Spain (7), Sweden (7), Switzerland (1), UK (86), USA (11) and Wales (3).

Interestingly, I found this question/answer in an interview with Jared Tebo at the Neo 09 (via the oOple.com site):

oOple - We hear you'll be defending your title at the 10th Worlds in South Africa later this year - how do you think you'll perform with the underdog Kyosho?

Jared Tebo - Uhm, if the race actually happens I think it will be pretty good - I like my cars a lot, I don't think I'm at any disadvantage or anything like that. I can't believe it is in South Africa.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

1/8th offroad is one of the few classes that companies still pay a lot of top US drivers. I bet all but maybe one or two of those US drivers were paid to be there.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Had a very interesting chat with one of the "leading lights" in Large scale this week.

The 1/5th track worlds are the week before the 10th off roads at the same venue.

At the moment it has 14 entries, the last worlds had over 100 and that was in Australia (so travel costs not an issue obviously).

He stated that one of the major problems were the thefts at Jo'burg airport that have got so bad that courier companies will not insure equipment going thru the airport. The large scale guys obviously have more equipment but a lot of international drivers and more specifically teams courier their equipment there. If it's effectively uninsured and likely to be stolen - they are not going to go!

Just for the record there were 46 entries for the 12th track worlds in Thailand and over 110 for 1/10th, however the lack or 12th drivers had more to do with the fact that it was run on tarmac rather than logistics of the locations.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Its unfortunate, but it looks like they need to move or cancel this event. It sucks for the people of SA. They may not get to watch the best drivers battle it out for the WC.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i suppose if FIFA sees SA fit and safe enough to host the 2010 World Cup, maybe it's safe enough to host the 2010 IFMAR World Championships.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cannon
It is an unfortunate fact of life that in general terms Americans will not travel. Look at the poor attendance at the 2008 Onroad Worlds in Thailand. Not sure what the excuse was then .. I think it was that there was no one interested in electric on road. The few that came had a great time.

Possibly it comes from what is a fairly conservative nation ... they are not happy outside their comfort zone and are very unfamiliar with other cultures. One only has to see them travelling abroad to see their general discomfort in other cultures.

No doubt I will get flamed for this post. It is not meant as an insult .. just an observation
Very true.

Originally Posted by academygaz
I know of at least two Americans that are racing that are not listed. I think you will end up with a decent field.

Originally Posted by sosidge
It seems a backwards step to suggest it - but if IFMAR wants to retain the perception that the World's is the biggest prize, they should run them all in the US, Western Europe and Japan.
As long as IFMAR (and ROAR for us U.S. guys) requires that their venues be selected on a rotating basis, attendance will be a problem. I like the fact that the Worlds rotates, but events do need to be placed in locations where a full field is probable.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

1/8 offroad is where the money is at. Otherwise I wouldn't hold your breath about somebody besides the drivers footing the bill for multiple $2000 plane tickets.