Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2002 IFMAR Worlds >

2002 IFMAR Worlds

2002 IFMAR Worlds

Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default 2002 IFMAR Worlds

Im an offroad electric guy and in that world there is soem debate of saftey at he IFMAR world event to be held in Pretoria South Africa. I know the 2002 TC worlds were held there and was wondering if anybody had smftey issues at that event.Thanks for your time!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

I think you need to consider the changes that have happened in south africa over the past 5-6 years, I know a few guys who really don't want to go to the worlds this year....
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
I think you need to consider the changes that have happened in south africa over the past 5-6 years, I know a few guys who really don't want to go to the worlds this year....
The only incident then was Masami getting mugged or a attempted hijacking.
That issue wasnt due to safety concerns for the venue but a bit of bad luck being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If i remember correct he got lost going to the airport or something like that.

The current venue for the 2009 worlds is a excellent venue and we have had international racers from Thailand, Taiwan, Australia etc over for the African Cup 1/8 Offroad Gas event. The guys all loved there time here.
Namely Ian Haley, Wayne Walker from OZ, Denny Boy from Taiwan i think just to name a few.
Just last week Peter Javonovic and Leigh Daytor from OZ where here for the African Cup onroad gas event and they enjoyed themselves and said they will definately be back next year.

In 3 weeks time will be this years African Cup Offroad Gas event and there is international racers attending.

Just such a pity we get this negative vibe.
I know the US drivers are complaining and thats nothing unusual, they did the same for the 2006 Offroad Worlds in Indonesia.
The few that did go had a blast and Mark Pavidis won.
Some European bodies are also coming up with excuses.

Our country offers value for money as the Dollar and Euro is very strong so coming out here is not that expensive.

pity though as we have some amazingly talented racers that could challenge and run with the best in the world.

If anyone wants first hand info or has any questions they are welcome to pm me and i will help or advise as best possible.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Just to add we have applied to host the 2010 EP Onroad worlds.
Scotty Ernest will be flying out next week to run the next national event that is being held at the proposed worlds venue.
Will post more details later.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here is the State Department's FAQ on South Africa.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1008.html

I get the impression that if you were some sort of activist, organizer or celebrity going over there to stir something up you might run into trouble. An RC racer who uses his head should be fine. But then, what do I know, I've never been there. I can tell you that if I wanted to run this race and had the means to do so, I'd be going.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

The simple fact is that every country in the world has dodgy areas that should be avoided, any traveler knows to check this information out before getting there. If South Africa does win the bid to host the 2010 on-road worlds, it will be very sad if the racing fraternity doesn't support the event fully.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

EDIT

Last edited by sudhar93; 08-30-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

So who do you blame for that !!!???

My brother got his lap top stolen in the hotel foyer in Hong Kong.
Friend of the family got gang raped in Canada.
My cousin got mugged and stabbed in London.
My brother in law witnessed a mugging while bystanders stood there watching doing nothing in Manhattan, New York.
My mom had her baggage stolen at the airport in Dubai.

Guess they must be very violent and crime ridden countries !!!
Dont go there !!!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Where did that poster say that it was a crime ridden and violent country? He just said some money was lost. I think you are being a bit sensative. Sorry to see your family and friends have had such bad luck while travelling.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

My reply is to the excuses given by the so called US Team and some other guys from Europe who dont want IFMAR to have the worlds here in SA or any other far off place that isnt a 1st world country.
The biggest reason given has been violence and crime.

I am looking through my emails and will post a article posted by a Australian a few years back and also on the same issue.
His take was the US and European top racers want the luxury of being the best in the world but with out travelling outside there comfort zone.
Some say its a financial issue but yet they expect racers from other countries to spend more to go to US and European events where the currency is much stronger.

The issue is the safety of our venue here in SA and my response is it will be like any other event you go to !!
In 5 years of racing at TRAP not once have i experienced any safety issues and i travel there with my wife and kids.
For the African Cup the club members even offered to host international racers in the homes instead of spending $$$ in hotels.

Those who do make it will surely have a great time, to the doubters its thier loss !!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razzor
My reply is to the excuses given by the so called US Team and some other guys from Europe who dont want IFMAR to have the worlds here in SA or any other far off place that isnt a 1st world country.
The biggest reason given has been violence and crime.
Hey.. if there is an increased risk of violence, there will be an increase in hesitation to visit. Seems only natural to me! Why is the U.S. team only a "so called" team? It seems to me that you are taking personal offense to the fact that some people might be hesitant in visiting your country... i say, get over it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hell, I seem to recall an incident involving lots of shouting and a gun at a race in Maryland. Violence can happen anywhere.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

a post i found.

Point to Ponder ......
THE MOANING STARTS (AGAIN)
ONCE AGAIN we’re hearing moans from Europe and USA regarding the venues for three of the upcoming IFMAR World Championships during 2009-10.
The events are the 1:5 On Road Worlds and 1:10 EP Off Road Worlds, both due to be held at the TRAP facility in Pretoria, South Africa and the 1:8 GP Off Road Worlds at Pattaya, Thailand.

The complaints, mainly from Europe, regarding the 1:5 Worlds venue, is that South Africa will mean incurring excess luggage costs.
That is true but laughable. No matter where the 1:5 Worlds are held excess luggage costs will come into play (except of course, Europe, where the complaints are coming from).
“Extra costs” complaints– from the people who have chosen Lostallo, Switzerland, to host the 1:8 GP On Road World Championship.

Lostallo, one of the most expensive places in Europe and in the middle of nowhere.
That’s fine though, it’s in our own backyard, who cares about the rest of the world seems to be their attitude.

The moaning from USA in particular regarding the EP 1:10 Off Road Worlds to be held at TRAP the week following the 1:5 Worlds is nauseating.
“Do we have to travel outside USA?” seems the most regular question from their officials, followed of course by “it’s too dangerous”.

On what basis they claim the latter is unknown, they have never been to these places but we guess perception is reality.

IFMAR is made up of four regions and each region has, in rotation, the opportunity to host a World Championship.

Anyone who has visited Thailand and, in this instance, Pattaya, knows they are as safe there as they are at home.

Our first hand experience of South Africa leads us to the same conclusion.
Leading into the 2006 IFMAR 1:8 GP Off Road World Championships the Americans in particular were vocal about the Indonesian venue–one ignorant magazine editor even
suggested a boycott of the event and holding an alternative Worlds–in the USA of course.

As Mark Pavidis–one of the few USA drivers who did venture to Indonesia to compete and who won that World Championship–
said afterwards of those who didn’t attend, “they missedthe best World Championship I have attended”.

The hory old excuse–it’s a dangerous place–is specious. Sure, South Africa can be dangerous but then again, so can any location.
Let’s not forget USA executed one of its own citizens for blowing up a building and causing the deaths of more than 200 of its citizens.
And there was the Atlanta Olympic Games bombings.
How about the late 1990’s IFMAR 1:10 EP Off Road World Championships in Los Angeles with its muggings and seedy neighbourhood?

The point is every city in the world has dangerous places where you are best not to go.
Keep away from the danger spots and things should be fine.
Critics raise the example of one high profile driver being pulled over while driving and robbed when at the 2002 EP Touring Car Worlds.
It happened and was undoubtedly traumatic for those concerned, however a few golden rules of travel were broken in that misadventure and really, simply invited trouble.

Travelling to other countries outside your comfort zone can challenge you, however the rewards in terms of experiencing different cultures, sights, sounds and food while all the time joining
everyone else in doing what we like to do best–racing RC cars–is priceless.

TITC at RCS, Bangkok, Thailand, is a perfect example of this and is why it is so popular.
We hope IFMAR has the balls to tell those complaintants that the FAMAR and FEMCA regions are entitled to host their World Championships and the events will be held at the venues chosen.
Arguments against the venues are specious at best and should be treated as such.

Some believe FAMAR should not host any Worlds or be included in one of the other regions, however that is an argument for another time.
As IFMAR’s rules stand, South Africa and Thailand are entitled to host these events and objections simply display the ignorance and/or selfishness of those making them.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The irony is the only complaining (moaning) on this thread is coming from you razzor.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

well unfortunately that is so ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.