Wiki Posts
Search

!!!! "NITRO RCGT ONLY" !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
First I would like to say nice thread and very excited to see an RCGT Nitro class brewing. RCGT class is supposed to be scale realism right? Bodies are supposed to be realistic right? So should the tyres. You want to discourage newbies and have this class fail instantly.. limit it to foams. When the newb sees the chunks missing from his tyre and has to spend $12 each time.. he will ebay that car the next day.

I live in California and run my car at Crystal Park Raceway. I picked up a few pairs of Ipanema 26mm tyres in 40 and 45 shore just for kicks.. and let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised.. in fact they're hands down the best tyres I've ever owned.

I read a few comments earlier that rubber tyres can not handle the power of full blown race .12! I run a NR Plus 12 5SCT and these tyres hold up incredibly well. Personally I REFUSE to run foams every again.

Sam / Kamikaze: You have a great shop and certainly know your stuff. Technology changes all the time, I don't know how they did it, but these tyres don't balloon like rubber of the old days. Give them an honest shot.. you have nothing to loose. I'd much rather buy them from you then from some bloke in the midwest whom I'll never meet.
Thank you for your post. Everyone assumes that every parking lot in which a track may be run on is asphalt. When I started running nitro, our parking lot was concrete and you had no choice but to run rubber tire. Also, everyone assumes that you have to run foam tires on asphalt and that is not the case. I have and do run both foam and rubber like you so I also can testify that both do work if you have the right setup on your car (with maybe a slight variation in driving style).
Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Again, let us not lose sight of what RCGT is suppose to be. It is suppose to be a fun, low cost, realistic looking, competitive class to attract people into racing at the grassroot (parking lot) level. Whether it is HPI, Take Off/RP, Ipanema or whatever tire used, this is about making what we do affordable to all. When household budgets are limited, can you ask a new guy or the parents of a young newbie to shell out $500 for a race chassis, $400 for an engine, $450 for a radio and high-end servos, $300 for enough tires to maybe make it through a race season (foam tires), $75 for at least three bodies for a season, and at least $100 for enough fuel to make it for the season?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Yep and you know what they say about assumption!!!

1/5 scale run on rubber - those cars weigh a good 20 lbs and put plenty of pressure on the rubber. 1/8 scale GT cars weigh 8 lbs and again use rubber tyres.. those torque 28s put a lot of pressure on the tyres..

The goal is to create a fun class that is different then traditional touring cars. So lets not muck it up the way they do in the Senate and House of Representatives... were not bureaucrats or lobbyists.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my P-lot tracks we run rubber tires on Nitro. OOC and I have been trying to push RCGT Nitro here. The only thing w have found to make the Xpatterns last longer is putting a molded insert. This applies to D, Pro and Pro Belted. It can be done and has been done. If we can get Nitro RCGT started here in Cali, that would be great!
Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Charlie,

I agree, we should get RCGT going in So Cal. However unlike Electric RCGT, I don't think we should limit it to HPI X Pattern. We should limit it to rubber but allow different brands. Whether RP, Sorex, Ipanema, HPI, Tamiya.. should be decided by the person running. In the end, one tyre will end up being preferred, but lets allow the races to determine that. In the end tyres are not THAT expensive to become out of reach for the newb, unlike top motors, ESC, LiPos etc.

Rims on the other hand should be realistic and dish should definitely be out.

BTW: At the moment I have an OS FS26 II 4 stroke in my 1/10 scale. Had a blast driving it around Crystal Park the last time I was out. Too bad its discontinued.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
George,
I’ll tell you what I do know as facts Bro and stop drinking the egg-nog, lol.

The only person you helped with IGT set-up was “Doc”. I only saw you drive IGT once, you looked fast on the track, OK sure, but as far as you being 1st to support GT racing with set-ups & tech, now that’s a joke my brother.

Now regarding my statement to Sammy……

He’s never seen, touched, held, tried or even smelled an Ipanema tire, so he doesn’t know “squat” about our products to make any statements about them.

All the GT racers across North America know more about Ipanema products than he does. He’s never purchased a pair for his store inventory, in spite the fact that GT racers across California want to purchase our slicks.

GT racers in California have to order Ipanema products from our dealers like Winner’s Circle, Brooklyn Hobbies, Bruckner Hobbies & RC Boyz, just to name a few of our great dealers.

So you might wanna get his approval first or maybe just let it go, before you try defending his “honor” and think about crossing me again on an open forum regarding Ipanema, OK Bro?

Merry Christmas!
Dude your foaming out of the mouth again thinking you've done more for the hobby than you really are.
I won't get into the specifics but you yourself ask for my help as well so don't go there before I blow up the whle story on Ipanema AKA (DOC)
Your just looking for a quick buck at least Kamikaze advertises on rctech what are you doing chasing a sale why not support rctech.net since it has been producing sales for ya since all you talk about is Ipanema shameless plugging.
Like I said Im not bashing the class Jlock $300 is not going to hurt the wallet but I rather use it for my real car 1/8th On-road
Maybe when Ipanema makes a quick release version for this class we can all go a little faster
Have a Merry
Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

George give it a break.

Sam,

Lets talk after the holidays and just get some tires in your store for the guys that wanny give them a try, OK

This is getting to stupid..... and please ask Georgie to go home to foam, lol
Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
Mike still talks about those days. That's where he got his first taste of RC. Roland was trying hard to keep rubber tires on nitro TC's. Once the 1/8 scale compaines got into building touring cars foam tires were inevitable. Now forget it, cars are so fast that a touring car in the right hands (namely Jaime Corrado) will pass 1/8 scale cars.

RC racing, in particular on road racing, is so sick that any idea that will help needs to be tried.
Jim is Roland still racing he was always fast in 1/12th until Haynes stepped up those was the days in Southshore 1 of my favorite places to race carpet
Last I heard Mike Mal is into Air rifles & still collecting Knives
Tell the fellas Happy Holidays & Happy New Year
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JLock
Dude, you are so concentrated on bashing rubber tires on nitro cars you can't see the forest for the trees. Like I stated in my previous post, I have tried just about every brand of rubber tire available on just about every surface with just about every type of .12 motor. Maybe for you, your driving style, and your setup they don't work. I have never had an issue and have even used a set to run a qualifier at a regional race once just to see if what you said is true, even back then. Out of 10 cars in that qualifier, I finished third with a set of rubber tires (Take Offs) with the other nine using foams.

I don't understand the bashing because of the use of rubber instead of foam. If this form of racing is not for you, just pass on it and continue to run what you are running. For others that may not be able to afford to do the bigger form of racing and might be content to run on the parking lot, this class is definitely for them. It is also good for exposure for both electric and nitro. Again, I am willing to give it a shot because right now, we need any "inclusive" form of racing to attract new blood or our number will continue to fall. I asked you if you are willing to give it a shot with an open mind but I guess not (you never answered my question). I gave IGT a shot and love the heck out of it and run it every chance I get. I am now doing electric carpet racing and am starting to like it (and with rubber tires). Like Jeff said, if you don't think outside the box sometimes, things will never progress forward. If we keep sticking to just our current forms of racing (in which attendance numbers are falling dramatically in many areas) and don't come up with maybe some new, catchy forms to attract the masses and maybe attract some former racers that stopped racing, we may all be looking at a bunch of "shelf queens" in the near future.
Like I posted early I would get 1 if the class take's off & would support it as well just to have fun so don't be misread & think that I was bashing just posting facts.
Jeff watch your tongue & don't try to threaten me cause your all dryed up with no friends & there is nothing you can say or do that will put fear into me. Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

What's everybody gettin so excited for. Were trying to start a fun class.. so put your wieners back in the holsters.... instead cut lime in half, drop in an 8 ball, a spoon of brown sugar, crush the lime and sugar together, crush some ice, pour it in the 8 ball, fill to the rim with Cachaca.. throw it in to a shaker, shake it up .. then back into the glass.. what do ya got Caipirinha Cheers and Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jspeed
George give it a break.

Sam,

Lets talk after the holidays and just get some tires in your store for the guys that wanny give them a try, OK

This is getting to stupid..... and please ask Georgie to go home to foam, lol
AW C'MON what no comeback
Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Raman
What's everybody gettin so excited for. Were trying to start a fun class.. so put your wieners back in the holsters.... instead cut lime in half, drop in an 8 ball, a spoon of brown sugar, crush the lime and sugar together, crush some ice, pour it in the 8 ball, fill to the rim with Cachaca.. throw it in to a shaker, shake it up .. then back into the glass.. what do ya got Caipirinha Cheers and Merry Christmas
+1 sounds Tasty
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

I have a HPI Racer 2, HPI Super Nitro, Mugen MTX3, Tamiya TG10 mk2, and Associated NTC3 ready to go for this class. I have a ton of rubber tires from Ipanema to Take Off/RP to HPI belted slicks and HPI X-Patterns ready to go as well. I even have a few bodies for this class painted (for my Racer 2) and a few more clear ones for my other cars ready to paint and go.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[..

Last edited by *1speedy; 09-30-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: ..
Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok boys...lets clean this up. Comment on the possibility of the class, not each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.