Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree56Likes

Which F1 for 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
Between the Roche and the Xray does one have any substantial advantage in durability?
The Xray is very durable and about the most often part broken is the front arms when you crash hard. And you have to crash pretty hard to break something on an xray. But most of the time, bad crashes only bend the arms and you can still finish your race. Also, side sinks pop off if hit hard from the side. But overall, its a good chassis in terms of durability
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

The Xray is incredibly durable. The Roche looks awesome but it's hard imagine anything as durable as the X1. My brother and I have raced them hard since they came out and they are both original except for spurs, rear axle bearings and front wings.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Between the Roche and the Xray does one have any substantial advantage in durability?
Only common part that breaks is rear axle bearings which also takes out the spur most of the time. Buy a 10 pack and your set for a while.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have owned both. both very similar in durability.

Maybe the rear axle is slightly more durable in the xray.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
The AE F6 is very much like the Xray, or Roche car. The one thing about the AE car that is better than the rest is the new rear pivot design. It is bind free. All F1s with the exception of Serpent and AE now use a "puck" in back that bolts to the chassis and two side links. If you hit a board, that puck can move and then binds up the rear pod. you constantly need to keep checking it. The AE car still has a rear pivot but it does not bolt to the chassis. It is designed to slide causing a bind free rear end. I think this is huge. Plus, companies are coming out with cool stuff for the car now as well. Jconcepts has a body already marked for the AE car. The Protoform fifteen is the best looking body though and what most people use. AVID is making some trick front arm mounts. Fenix is making an aluminium chassis for the F6 should you desire that.
Been running one of these from http://www.zen-racing.co.uk/catalog/...%202%20(1).JPG in my 1/12 and F1 cars for a few years.

Always hated trying to un-tweak the centre pivots as it was never easy and always took a few attempts.
Zen have now changed it so it looks more like AE's current version and you use the plastic center insert from Associated.

Last edited by Skiddins; 11-30-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You can run the AE center pivot in the xray, with alittle simple grinding, I did it, a tad more consistent
Old 11-22-2017, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JayL
Yep, we run Roche Evo

I have tried almost every car.

with Ride GR front tires and Ride R1 or Volante Soft rears

I just raced an AE, borrowed, and i was instantly 4 tenths slower, even after setup

I would buy a Roche or Xray and then you can get help and have people that have parts etc

Also note: we run F1 with 21.5 motors. 25.5 is full throttle entire track and a waste, so we stuck with 21.5. See my sig for the fast motor....
Gidday JayL,

Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with the Ride and Volante tires. Can you please expand on some of your findings with regards to these tires on asphalt?

Thanks very much
Michael Jones
New Zealand
Old 11-22-2017, 02:34 AM
Tech Master

Hi Michael,

Volante Soft rears seem to work fairly well across a wide temp range. Not so happy with the Volante Medium fronts - they seem to push too much or need very grippy / hot conditions to work.

Ride R1 is my tyre of choice once the grip or temperature comes up. I haven't tried the GR fronts yet but if they are similar to the XR fronts then they should be good once the grip and temp comes up.

Unless it is super hot early I typically use Pit Shimizu 573 / 575 for the first run of the day. Sometimes the second run depending on temp. (They also work alright on a damp track!) I've also used the 573 / 572 combination with success when it is a bit warmer too.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for that info. Very interesting. There is not a lot of info on how the volante tyres perform on the internet.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've read that an aluminum chassis is the way to go with TC carpet racing. Would this also apply to F1? If so, is there an aluminum chassis available for the AE kit?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DoubleRR24
I've read that an aluminum chassis is the way to go with TC carpet racing. Would this also apply to F1? If so, is there an aluminum chassis available for the AE kit?
Hows about a Shepherd Velox F1 2018 ?

Shepherd - Velox F1
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I don't know anyone personally that has run an aluminium chassis in F1 yet. I am running the normal AE carbon on black carpet and it is working really well.
Should you want to try aluminium, Fenix racing makes one. CRC sells the Fenix stuff..

https://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules....prodID=7719775
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I don't know anyone personally that has run an aluminium chassis in F1 yet. I am running the normal AE carbon on black carpet and it is working really well.
Should you want to try aluminium, Fenix racing makes one. CRC sells the Fenix stuff..

https://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules....prodID=7719775
CRC also sells the Aluminum rear pod and an Aluminum caster plate for the F6.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

we run aluminium here in europe in our Shepherd Velox F1 for high bite carpet.
the car keeps more cornerspeed and is more easy to drive.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There was a member here making aluminum chassis for the Associated. He was in the thread for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.