Search

Taming a brushless motor in 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Taming a brushless motor in 1/12

Hey All,
I really want to get the Novak 4.5 light brushless motor I have working in my 1/12 scale. I run anything from 19 turn all the way down to 8 turn with no problem, but want some hints on how to make this motor more linear and less like an on/off switch. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kane
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would think you can program the throtle curve to take alot off the bottom end.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

WOW that sounds like alot of motor for a 1/12!

An easy way to do what Partywagon is refering to is use the EXPO function on your radio. Start by adjusting it to -20 and give it a try. The adjustment allows you to change the throttle curve like he said.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kane-o
but want some hints on how to make this motor more linear and less like an on/off switch. Any help would be appreciated.
Same hint as has worked for any other motor combo:

That trigger-thingy on your radio? It has a whole SLEW of positions between full-off and full-on. Try a couple of 'em. Those crazy radio manufacturers...who'da thunk they went to the expense of an infinitely-adjustable device instead of an inexpensive off-on switch for a reason?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

a 5.5 will be more than enough for a 1/12th scale
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Same hint as has worked for any other motor combo:

That trigger-thingy on your radio? It has a whole SLEW of positions between full-off and full-on. Try a couple of 'em. Those crazy radio manufacturers...who'da thunk they went to the expense of an infinitely-adjustable device instead of an inexpensive off-on switch for a reason?
I really appreciate sarcastic rude posts that don't help to answer the original question which was asked. You must think fast brushless motors have a similar throttle response as a fast brushed motor.....to each their own. I notice you have thousands of posts on rc tech so this must be one of the few you answered while in a bad mood.
-Kane
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
WOW that sounds like alot of motor for a 1/12!

An easy way to do what Partywagon is refering to is use the EXPO function on your radio. Start by adjusting it to -20 and give it a try. The adjustment allows you to change the throttle curve like he said.
It definitely is a lot of motor for a 1/12. If I could change my purchase a 6.5 light would be perfect. I love to run 8-10 turn motors but this 4.5 is something else. I will play with the expo as I have heard this is what a lot of guys are doing with the brushless systems.
Thanks,
Kane
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I really appreciate sarcastic rude posts that don't help to answer the original question which was asked.
See...common ground. Apparently we BOTH appreciate sarcasm. You'll have to point to what was rude though, and if it was for THAT I would appologize.

And actually my post 100% answered the original question. Now if you're looking for ways to make the job a bit easier then you look into expo, throttle speed settings, etc depending on what your radio has available. Those end up being the RC equivalent of traction-control on 1:1 racecars.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hey All,
I really want to get the Novak 4.5 light brushless motor I have working in my 1/12 scale. I run anything from 19 turn all the way down to 8 turn with no problem, but want some hints on how to make this motor more linear and less like an on/off switch. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kane
Turn the punch on your speed control way down, and your drag brake up. Also the brand of speed control makes a difference, some people have noticed that the blue speed controls are smoother than the orange ones.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Unless your hometrack is 500 feet oval, I think you'll quit racing with 4.5R.

Once I tried 3.5R, and I gave up. The stop and go acceleration was too fast, and the car enter corner faster than my reaction ..... thus, kaboom, and kaboom, and kaboom again, and so on.

Let me know your stories if you insist to use 4.5R for 1/12 car.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

no amount of trigger input will be sufficient. Read your speed control's manual on everything dealing with getting on the throttle and getting off the throttle. I can garantee you even masami has to play with these settings.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Well I run a 4.5 light and a regular 4.5 with a lrp speedo. Very fast motors and just great to run. I would buy the "light" version. It is a smoother motor and you will not be disappointed. I run on carpet here in Midwest with Genx. I use a futaba radio. My punch setting is either 4 or 5. You can break many pieces with motor set-up of a 4.5. However if you are a consistant racer, smooth on throttle, and just like to go fast then this is for you. If you are anything less than the above and very hard on throttle then I would run milder motor.

Even a 10.5 on small carpet track is very fast. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Ps: gear 4.5 light at 19/96 1.73 rear tire.
gear 4.5 standard 18/96 1.73 rear
Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cookie1
Well I run a 4.5 light and a regular 4.5 with a lrp speedo. Very fast motors and just great to run. I would buy the "light" version. It is a smoother motor and you will not be disappointed. I run on carpet here in Midwest with Genx. I use a futaba radio. My punch setting is either 4 or 5. You can break many pieces with motor set-up of a 4.5. However if you are a consistant racer, smooth on throttle, and just like to go fast then this is for you. If you are anything less than the above and very hard on throttle then I would run milder motor.

Even a 10.5 on small carpet track is very fast. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Ps: gear 4.5 light at 19/96 1.73 rear tire.
gear 4.5 standard 18/96 1.73 rear
Thank you all for the tips. I do enjoy faster motors in my Gen X and I just have to fiddle with it to get to more of a brushed feel.
Thanks,
Kane