Wiki Posts
Search

19T Motor Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by coolrcdad
After trying many brushes, I think you really can't go wrong with the Fantom 315. It is torquier than the 309, and though many think it is the same as the Reedy 767, I've noticed that it wears less.
I know it may seem a litle odd to you, but I've talked to Troy Schroeder(the owner of Fantom) about this a couple of years ago, & he told me that their F315 brushes in fact ARE Reedy 767's(unless this has changed since we talked about it). He buys them in large amounts from Reedy, then repackages them & also sells a good portion of those to others who also relabel them(& sometimes raise the price too). I do wondr though if his people scrutinize their brushes a bit more than Reedy does(which could explain why you feel they wear differently, they may ones that have been more closely inspected & match each other in size, serrations, etc., but I'm only guessing here).....as for a 19 turn class, yeah, we've finally gotten one started at our local track, & everyone seems to really like it(I haven't gotten mine yet, but I had them save one for me so the next time I race, I'll have one too). I like full-blown mod sometimes, but it definitely is harder on everything, drivetrain, tires(sometimes bodies... ), while 19 turns should be a lot easier on it, & we shouldn't feel quite as much need for fresh tires literally every other weekend(which is an issue on my local track with low turn mods).....Oh, & I have a question, now that I'm getting into it, how much faster do those motors wear at the brushes & comm with 767's & 4499's? I know how much stock motors wear using them, just made me wonder if it's any faster in a 19 turn.....
Old 08-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!! WoW i didn't know that something that littlethat would change something to a motor would stop glitich like i knew the diode and that i knew would help but i didn't know differeent brushes would stop glitching.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With 767's, I'm getting 2-3 runs, re-serrating them, and maybe two more runs out of them. Usually I run the re-serrated ones for practice.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default Element 19T

Thanks for for your advice.

Probably will run it next weekend instead of Stock, try something different.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!! WoW i didn't know that something that littlethat would change something to a motor would stop glitich like i knew the diode and that i knew would help but i didn't know differeent brushes would stop glitching.
Yeah I thought the same. But I listened to it much more carfully when I ran it at 7.2 volts on my pulsar. It would be inconsistant in how high the rpm were. Even at low rpm there was an excessive amount of arching with fully seated brushes and a fresh com. I tried the stiffer springs to get a bit more punch off the line at our local carpet track and BINGO! No more glitching. There is MUCH less arching. Using the same Reedy 766's, it was a blazing fast motor.

-Sushi Boy
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

I have found the most awesome 19 turn Fixed timing motor. I've been running the Reedy motors because I had them left over from the Reedy race. I burned one up in the second qualifier at the Hitec race and a buddy let me run one of his motors. OMG! The punch made the Reedy motor look silly and top end was phenominal. It was an Epic based Fantom motor. Last weekend we were racing in Corona and he was running that same motor and I was running one of my Reedys that hadn't fried yet. He was geared two teeth lower than I was on a large track with a 130 ft straight and he was still pulling me by ten feet at the end of the straight. We were running almost identical lap time cause I was handling better then him but I'd get right next to him coming on to the straight and he'd pull me by ten feet or more. I felt fast in practice until he got on the track with me. Needless to say I've retired the Reedys and have two of the fantoms on order.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Element 19T

Hey Popsracer,

After you get done running it feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments.

Good Luck,
Steve
Old 09-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

I would like to get our local track to start a 19 turn class and there are several of those that run the psortsman stock that would like to do this. I was curious if the ROAR-ACOR legal motors were all adjustable timing and bearing instead of bushing? Most of us just can not afford to run mod at the cost of brushes, tires and drive train wear and the 19 turn seems like a decent step towards more power without being over the top. I have been looking for a good source for bulk buying of brushes that are not 3.00-4.00 a pair, any suggestions from the motor gurus and who does bulk selling? Thanks for looking and sorry for the fifty questions.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:16 PM

Sorry about the name thing Korey.

Anyways, as to the wear on the 19T motors, I've heard many different things. Some people swear their motor runs best after 10 runs after the brushes break in. On the other hand, certain brushes I've tried have turned a comm purple in 3 runs

One more thing to anyone who is just starting their 19T racing is don't judge a 19T by the brushes it comes with. Motors like the Reedy (I think) come with really hard, low power brushes which can actually make the motor slower than a good stock motor. On the other hand, the Fantom I believe includes the 315 and so, these 2 cannot be compared out of the box erm... plastic case thing.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

I've been running the Reedy motors for months and they can't hold a canle to the Fantom. No matter what brushes you put in the Reedy.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just bought the fantom but threw it in the car and ran it at our last race. 767 brushes good for that motor? Someone was running quasar brushes and doing pretty good.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

767 and 4499's are running well in it. 4499's seem to be wearing the comm out a run sooner though.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by jkerr0043
767 and 4499's are running well in it. 4499's seem to be wearing the comm out a run sooner though.
I have found that the Trinity 4504 NT, which is same compound as the 4499 with cross-cuts, give me a slight more torque then the 4499 and the com wear is very clean. I am skim cutting the com after five runs in a Monster stock. Just too bad this brush can not be had in bulk for a decent price like the 4499's... I would bet the 4504 would work very well in the 19 turn also.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Fasttrak- All the brushes that have been talked about hear are availible in bulk from Axiom. They have 767, 4499, 4504, & 4505's and sell in any quantity you want at good prices, check out the link below.

Chad
Old 09-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by 2Tenths
Sorry about the name thing Korey.

Anyways, as to the wear on the 19T motors, I've heard many different things. Some people swear their motor runs best after 10 runs after the brushes break in. On the other hand, certain brushes I've tried have turned a comm purple in 3 runs

One more thing to anyone who is just starting their 19T racing is don't judge a 19T by the brushes it comes with. Motors like the Reedy (I think) come with really hard, low power brushes which can actually make the motor slower than a good stock motor. On the other hand, the Fantom I believe includes the 315 and so, these 2 cannot be compared out of the box erm... plastic case thing.
No prob about that name thing.

About comparing the reedy motor and the Epic based. I think my Reedy runs fast. I did pretty well with it at the last carpet race I went to, but I do have to say 2 tenths, you were packin some ponies in your car!!!!!! I'll probably give the Epic based motor a try sometime. Keep the reedy's as practice motors.

-Sushi Boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.