Wiki Posts
Search

What I have learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default What I have learned

So many of you are always asking for advice on what ________(insert buggy/truggy) to buy. It seems that everyone has their favorites; however, it seems that a few things are always evident: Most vehicles are similar in basic design.

When making my decision on what to buy, I consider the simplest of rules: will I have to use aftermarket parts or even another manufacturers parts to make my vehicle competitive (think non-club racing as a non-pro)?

What stands out to me is that there are maybe two manufacturers that require no outside support: Xray and Mugen.

It seems that every other manufacturer requires using a tank from another vehicle here and there (ie Durango), drive shafts (ie Kyosho,JQ) etc...

Thoughts? (please stay to the facts and keep biased opinions out please)
Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34
So many of you are always asking for advice on what ________(insert buggy/truggy) to buy. It seems that everyone has their favorites; however, it seems that a few things are always evident: Most vehicles are similar in basic design.

When making my decision on what to buy, I consider the simplest of rules: will I have to use aftermarket parts or even another manufacturers parts to make my vehicle competitive (think non-club racing as a non-pro)?

What stands out to me is that there are maybe two manufacturers that require no outside support: Xray and Mugen.

It seems that every other manufacturer requires using a tank from another vehicle here and there (ie Durango), drive shafts (ie Kyosho,JQ) etc...

Losi is another that doesnt require parts from another car. the thing i like about the losi is its very durable, ive tried mugen,ae, and JQ and i like the mugen the most but i just wont stay together. Also you can find losi stuff everywhere and its easy to work on
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Do Your home work..

I Take buying a new RC verry seriously and always do plenty of research before I lay down a weeks wages on a new race vehicle.( I dont Bash anymore Only race and practice at the track).
I have a few different RC's from 1/10 2wd trucks to 1/8 truggy and am more than happy with them but I did alot of study before buying both classes.
I have bought some after market hopups for the truggy But only chassie braces everything else on it is from the company who made it.
with the 10th trucks They are completely bone stock because they couldnt get any better they are fantastic just as they are.
But research is a must If your serious about racing and want the best..
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Caster Racing does not require any aftermarket parts for any of the lineup, however, we have teamed up with Diggity Designs (Michigan company) for carbon fiber exact replacement parts if someone wants.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
Losi is another that doesnt require parts from another car. the thing i like about the losi is its very durable, ive tried mugen,ae, and JQ and i like the mugen the most but i just wont stay together. Also you can find losi stuff everywhere and its easy to work on
Yea Losi for me too!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hookem34

Kyosho, really....have you ever owned one? and the ones that are replacing the driveshafts, still use Kyosho drive shafts......ho sorry i forgot kyosho knows nothing about building a buggy 8 wc latter...
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i can honestly say i have never had to use any aftermarket parts or other manufacturer parts on any of my 3 st-rr trucks or 2 777 buggys or 3 mp9 chassis buggys

whether or not i chose to for "bling" factor was entirely up to me and not necessary , i have no idea what is really going on with this outdrive BS right now but i am 100% confident that the big K will remedy the issue

viva la KYOSHO!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

The only thing I used aftermarket on my antique Kyosho MP-6 was MIP big bore black shocks. Which finally broke a shock shaft in the front after 10 years of racing.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ok let's simmer down. Kyosho is a great brand. I do own a TKI2 WC car and I do like it. But let's be honest about it's issues. That said, anyone else have a constructive thought on the matter?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is not going to end well.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by l3asher
This is not going to end well.
Let the chips fall where they may

Those with an intelligent view will make relevant comments. Some what of an intellectuals thread.

Just trying to class it up a bit around here
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been down the road with several different buggy's. So far I found the Serpent to be dang near bulletproof and no parts needed from anything. Plenty of hop ups if you want it and the design is sweet. The Losi, Mugen, Durango...etc just didn't work for me. None have been as fast around the track for me or as consistent.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'll tell you what I have learned after 13 years running nitro:
There are issues, problems, or annoyances with every vehicle ever made by every company.... Find one you can deal with and makes you happy and fast and just enjoy yourself and your racing buddies.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I'll tell you what I have learned after 13 years running nitro:
There are issues, problems, or annoyances with every vehicle ever made by every company.... Find one you can deal with and makes you happy and fast and just enjoy yourself and your racing buddies.
+1 Great words the man know what he is talking about.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Serpent doesnt need aftermarket parts either, might need a few optional parts though but theyre all inhouse.
Its the newer brands that arent tested enough that usually requires parts from other manufacturers, like JQ and Durango. Team Associated needed fueltanks from the D8 but that seems to be resolved now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.