Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Setting tweak on the chassis is extremely important but should not be used to compensate for tire size. Rotating tires MUST be done on all cars. Preloading one side of the car to compensate for this will result in an ill handling car. It will turn harder right than left. There is adjustment for tweak on this car if you use the tweak screws. they are not necesary but they can be used. They also increase the progressive spring tension of the flex plate.

This car has preset tweak by the fixed forward mounting of the flex plate. Chassis balance must still be done and wiring jobs need to be free and not bind the pod. This applies to all 1/12th cars and all cars in general.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

jason you got pm and email
Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Jason,

Sent you a PM a while ago. Just wondering if you had a chance to read it.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tom!, please accept my experience. Until I get a BMI, I always checked tweak, and it did move around from time to time. With the BMI, my experience is that it doesn't move around.

However sceptical you are about that, you will know that unless you have personally experienced something, you can't understand it - so it was for me. Tweak works as Jason says, but with his car it is part of a forgotten (almost!) 12th experience!!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

380/lipo
Well yeah it would take more then just tires but mostly it would be a
softening of everything rather then a total redesign of the suspension. Softer tires, lighter springs, lighter oils, ect ect. With the smaller rear pod it would give more options for weight balance with what little weight there is.

Tire wear/tweak
Tom there has been a bit of a change in the thinking on tweak. Previously the tweak adjustment adjusted mainly for an imbalance in weight in the car. Lately drivers balance the car first so that tweak settings are then nuetral. As for tire wear I'm more along Tom's lines. Suspension should be adjusted for handling not tire wear. Tire wear can be an indicator of where suspension could be adjusted but not always. You will always have some imbalance in tire wear because there will always be 1 turn more to one side then the other. In other cases sometimes it is necessary to accept coning to get the handling characteristics you want out of the car.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Lord

In onroad racing, there is usually always a high speed sweeper or a hard turn coming off of the straight away. This will make your tires wear uneven. It is the nature of the beast. Tire wear does not give the car a tweaked feel. It will not be optimal as far as performance goes. Tweak is created from something getting shifted in the car somewhere in the suspension. When a car is tweaked it is pretty much undrivable.

I have been lazy at times and ran the whole day without rotating tires. The car felt fine but was not as good as when they are even at all 4 corners. With the car being level, it makes the car react more consistantly and has equal turning radius in both directions at speed and off power.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

I got even more lazy...I have 3 sets of tires for race day...1 for each qualifer and the main This way I don't have to worry about rotating, ride height adjustment or gear ratio adjustment due to tire wear. Being the race director I really don't have time to reset all that stuff between runs so I just swap tires.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

How did team BMI do at Vegas?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I got even more lazy...I have 3 sets of tires for race day...1 for each qualifer and the main This way I don't have to worry about rotating, ride height adjustment or gear ratio adjustment due to tire wear. Being the race director I really don't have time to reset all that stuff between runs so I just swap tires.
Im the same way. I have no excuse though.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by march to my own
How did team BMI do at Vegas?
We didnt send anyone. There were a few guys who were running the car and they seemed happy with it for there first time on high bite. Im concentrating on snowbirds so it can give time for everyone to get them dialed in on real high bite. The IIC was too close to the release for me to get a strong team together. I will be setting up a team with some real strong return. I will have to attract the top dogs. The only way to do that is to throw em a bone.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Diffdude
Jason,
I see a person asked the rather rude question "do you pay for your own cars". As a manufacturer you know you pay the hightest price for your personal cars, mega R&D costs. The car you are running is the prototype and it has the highest cost of all, about 10X's. As a developer of performance products myself I do the same thing, run the prototypes. The customers get the final products that are refined. As a manufacturer it is your right to use a production kit if you need a second car. Is that no different than you sending a kit to one of your team drivers?

Dave Irrgang

Ummm ok dude....... I dont think it was a rude question at all.... And Jason didnt seem to care much..

Originally Posted by redlion
When was the last time you had a free meal???? What did it really cost????

Wes
I guess im not allowed to ask whats on my mind...... Jeeze......
Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Blackedout- How's the car going for you? When is Stockton starting their carpet season?

Jason- Can you setup a way for people to fill out their setups online and submit them to you?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by darnold
Blackedout- How's the car going for you? When is Stockton starting their carpet season?
I dont have mine yet, I should be buying mine within 2 months..... TC stuff keeps setting me back

Carpet season starts like oct 23rd iirc..... But im in school, and some of there race days are on school days, so I will be starting racing there after I cant race at SWR.... the 1.5 hour drive to stockton, or 10 mins to SWR.... I think that says enough
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cool. You will really love your BMI DB12R when you get it.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by darnold
Cool. You will really love your BMI DB12R when you get it.
You race at stockton?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.