Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba owners speek up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I have been running the MM for nearly two months in my 4wd and have yet to have a problem and I do not think I will. In the last race I was running the ESC at 250 and the motor at 155 with no ill effects. I still have people ask every day about cogging and it is not an issue. Two weeks ago I was running the stock class and ran an LRP sensored motor and it worked perfect. I just needed to turn up the timming on the motor.

My question is why spend more for a name when you can get a better product and support from Castle.

Has any one here tried to contact Novak or LRP? I know in the past I have and it was not a bad experince but at the same time it could have went much better. When calling Castle I Have had nothing but great support from the tech department!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
I run both novak and MM. I have had nothing but problems with the3 CC systems I have, the novak(3.5r) is flawless in my book.
Can you clarify on the problems? Was the newest firmware installed?

Originally Posted by BSS07
dont buy, i just recently sold mine because of too much power. for bashing yes. for racing no. tried tuning it down with the latest software but still way too much punch. but i have to admit they have really good support

go novak. i was running much faster laptimes(atleast 10 sec.) much smoother and doesnt screw up your tranny
Let me guess, you had a 7700 in a 2WD, right?

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I dunno, i use lrp sphere 07's. 3 actually and havent had any problems and they dont get hot like that one dude said. You get what you pay for, You racing get a sensored system it has more control. You bashing get the cheaper mamba's.

My cars are super smooth with tons a rip on punch setting 1.

lrp/novak/speed passion Take your pick. That's my opinion and i only race.
Ever ran a Mamba?

ROAR will catch on, they're just slow. The people that say Mamba is inferior were probably against brushless motors when they came out & thought Lipos were too dangerous when they first came out.

Oh & I have yet too see a MM go up in smoke, how many Novaks have you seen fried? I know noone that races at a track with a good turnout, can say that they haven't.
Can you plug your Novak & get instant updates for your ESC?

Cogging was an issue when the Mambas first came out, I'll be the first to admit it. Mine cogged like crazy the first day I used it. I called Castle & they told me to direct solder the Motor/ESC wires. Problem solved. Now all MM's come with newer bullet plugs. Problem solved. Updated firmwarem, smooth as butta. All new products will have little bugs that need to be worked out, & Castle took care of those bugs promptly. They also sent me the new bullet plugs for all my motors & a few extra sets...free of course.

I'm not by any means saying that Mambas are superior to other motor companies (well maybe Novak) Just trying to clarify that just because it isn't ROAR approved doesn't mean it sucks.

Last edited by beast95451; 04-15-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I also hear people talking about too much power causing problems with the transmission. Remember folks there is many ways to tune down the power of the motor. In my opinion the first thing you should due to correct this problem is practice.

1st Remember the ultimate throttle control is between your brain and your finger!
2nd The MM is very user friendly and uses a simple program to adjust an unlimited number of settings. So you can use the throttle curve to combat the initial power of the ESC/Motor.
3rd You can use the radio. Almost all radios have this capability.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beast95451

Ever ran a Mamba?

Naa, they aren't legal in some of the classes i run. I know bss0 (posted in this thread) and he got a lot faster after getting his novak system.

Also i said it was my opinion, You got yours i got mine.

My recommendation included esc's i don't use either, but i myself being a racer wouldnt use a mamba i have no need to plug my pc in my esc or a esc that isnt roar legal cause i race under roar rules around the north east at different tracks.

Have you used a sphere 07 or a novak gtb ? Speed passion ?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have all 4 systems. (Novak/LRP/Speedpassion/Castle) The Novak is technically borrowed, but I ran it this winter in my T4. The Speedpassion is new to me and I've barely got to run it, but it's awesome.

I have no problems running any of them.

Neither do these guys:
Vanderbeek, Leatherman :LRP
Alberico: Castle
Martin: Speedpassion
Sturgeon: Novak

All of these guys have won big races in the midwest and have been fast for a long time. They are still fast with these systems and are still winning races.

I have got my butt kicked by all of them... and I've run well (for my ability) using all of them.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Have you used a sphere 07 or a novak gtb ? Speed passion ?
I'm not bashing ya, or saying that mine is better than yours. If you have to race under ROAR rules, then you have to race under ROAR rules. I don't...& yes I do race with a Mamba, quite frequently. A lot of my friends use the Sphere & it's probably the best out there right now. I would NEVER use a GTB unless it was given to me & I had nothing else to use. Just going by what I have seen first hand with the GTB's.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

GTB runs great on the track imo, smooth etc... the only problem with them is that they have a "smoking" problem. Novak needs to put a nicotine patch on the case.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glassdoctor

The illegal Castle motors are a proper size and fit so let them run, imo. I don't know why anyone would object, especially since anti-Castle guys tend to think it's a bunch of junk anyway. So there's nothing to be afraid of by making them legal.
WERD!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
GTB runs great on the track imo, smooth etc... the only problem with them is that they have a "smoking" problem. Novak needs to put a nicotine patch on the case.
Maybe a mini fire extiguisher on channel 3

Just giving you a hard time Novak guys, don't kill me.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

I know bss0 (posted in this thread) and he got a lot faster after getting his novak system.
I would like to know what Mamba motor he was using & which Novak motor he is now using & what size track. If he went from a 7700 or 6900 to a 7.5 or 8.5 on a small track then I would hope his lap times increased.

I don't care where you run or what your running. There is no need for anything more than a 5700 max on 2S for racing.

.......I really need to learn to use the multiquote button
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Yep.... I took the terrible 7700 out of my XX4 and my lap times dropped too.

I went to a 5700 instead.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

I have 2 mamba system on Truck, I have go down from 7000 kv slotted motor to 4500 kv range slotless. Way more driveable and better runtime.
I use tekin motor on my T4, it run just great and really smooth

Last edited by Mister-T; 04-15-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

I run the sidewinder systems in both my 4wd and my 2wd buggy. Just loaded the newest firmware via the easy to use castle link and just a simple setup. I've never had any problems with any of my systems, never gets hot, I got way more runtime, and now I never have to take motors out for maintence.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Where were all of you MM guys when I was getting beat up in the Mamba vs Novak thread?!!!

That's good to hear about the Sidewinder, I wasn't sure about the ease of use with Castlelink. Do you just plug the receiver plug into a USB adapter? If it uses the same software as the MM then it basically is the same esc from my understanding, just not capable of the faster motors??? I guess I need to get up to speed on it! But a couple guys are running them at my local track and they worked fine out of the box without upgrading the firmware.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

run a mm5700 with 4200 packs in my zx-5sp and have never had a problem with nice and smooth at the track, though with it in my t4 on the track maybe a touch to much but added to the fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.