Community
Wiki Posts
Search

x-5, still a competitive buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ShtLuck
one reason i was considering a new ride is lipo....
my car isnt balanced at all with a lipo in it. plus the lipo really doesnt fit that well in the xxx-4
i really want a car that puts the motor and battery down the middle but no one seems be building that... maybe i should buy a jrx-s and build my own 05' worlds car
Almost everyone running lipo is having to run some lead/tungsten weight somewhere in their cars. Shouldn't be that hard to balance out or make fit with a little creativity.

Seems like everyone wants to buy a car, buy a battery, and have everything fit first off without any adjusting or adding a tab here or there. It worries me that everyone wants the results without the work. Give me a drill and a dremel and I can make almost anything work.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lightin'
Almost everyone running lipo is having to run some lead/tungsten weight somewhere in their cars. Shouldn't be that hard to balance out or make fit with a little creativity.

Seems like everyone wants to buy a car, buy a battery, and have everything fit first off without any adjusting or adding a tab here or there. It worries me that everyone wants the results without the work. Give me a drill and a dremel and I can make almost anything work.
I have a pair of pliers that weight 4.5oz
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the losi xx-4 is dialed with the lipo on the one side.. it fits like a glove and it took me 10min to move the electronics and put lighter oil in the rear. The car now handles better than the saddle setup. At my track 3 guys run this setup 1 guy runs a xxx4(and wants a xx) and everyone else is lame and runs b44's
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it all comes down to the driver. I have seen drivers at our local track with older cars dominate the kids with the newer models. It is more skill than anything else.

Although upgrading never hurts
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

i am a former crawler i dont mind modifying some stuff to make it work...
however i am still not happy with the fit... plus with the xx-4 being so good that the local losi team guy isnt running the xxx-4 anymore i cant help but think i am already at a disadvantage before the race starts, add to that the fact that i suck as a driver and it just compounds the problem...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

however i am still not happy with the fit... plus with the xx-4 being so good that the local losi team guy isnt running the xxx-4 anymore i cant help but think i am already at a disadvantage before the race starts, add to that the fact that i suck as a driver and it just compounds the problem...
You just need to work at your driving...that's all. At least you have a Losi Driver to (hopefully) give you some setup tips for your buggy, and have a goal to shoot for in keeping up with him on the track. You might get bored easily if you were constantly the top driver all the time.

I am trying to figure out a good way to make my LiPo's fit as well, and will post whatever I come up with. If I was buying new LiPo's, I would likely get 5000Mah hard case versions, which obviously weigh more, and have a larger physical size, and the fitment of the battery would be less of an issue here.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

my 5200's are hard case and i have trouble fitting them between the ridge on the belt tunnel and the outside ridges.. i trimmed the large tabs back to the ridges line on the out side and they still dont fit right...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

my 5200's are hard case and i have trouble fitting them between the ridge on the belt tunnel and the outside ridges.. i trimmed the large tabs back to the ridges line on the out side and they still dont fit right...
Hmm....mine were all ground down when I got it.

You think they would fit if you ground them down like this?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Suspended

I guess that's where you have gone so wrong in your thinking ~
1) you've convinced yourself that you're at a disadvantage before the horn
2) you admit to not being a good driver (yet)
3) you're looking to buy something to overcome your shortcomings

It doesn't work. More people leave this hobby every year because they think they can become competitive by spending money and get frustrated when it doesn't happen.

I've heard it said a thousand times, "you can take a dumptruck driver and stick him in a race car and he'll still drive it like a dumptruck, but you put a racer in a dumptruck and he'll figure out a way to get it around the track faster."

Same deal here dude. Don't be obsessed in what you have but instead getting around the track smoother, not crashing, and running good lines and you'll be plenty fast enough no matter what you drive.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Suspended

I'm curious why you thought you needed 5200s, and why you didn't spec them to see if they'd fit before you bought them?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

I'm curious why you thought you needed 5200s, and why you didn't spec them to see if they'd fit before you bought them?
I think they will fit, just have to grind down the chassis a bit. to accept the flat battery on the bottom.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

i have a couple of xxx-4 G+ that i pulled out of the closet to run some, rather than going out and buying all new 4wd buggy. My problem is the belt skipping teeth with the power of lipo and brushless, any good solutions to this problem? xx-4 have this problem?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

as for my driving i have been racing trucks forever, this 4wd deal is new to me, i am competitive in my class, and i am looking to upgrade my equipment. yeah i realize its not going to help how i drive, but maybe something out there is more suited to how i drive...

did you ever think i might have had the batteries first... and on a side note they fit any 2wd vehicle i have ever owned... even the one losi hard case i have doesnt fit very well..
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ShagNastyEk9
i have a couple of xxx-4 G+ that i pulled out of the closet to run some, rather than going out and buying all new 4wd buggy. My problem is the belt skipping teeth with the power of lipo and brushless, any good solutions to this problem? xx-4 have this problem?
I think Losi had a trick of trimming every other tooth off the belt (no clue how\why this would work.

They also put out a HD belt kit that should help your issues:

Team Losi now offers an enhanced heavy-duty drive belt system for their XXX-4 off-road and XXX-S on-road racecars. These models revolutionized Four Wheel Drive with their super efficient and low maintenance enclosed single belt drive train. As with any cutting edge technology there is always something to be learned and these enhanced belt drive systems are the product of several years of World Championship winning experience and countless hours of prototyping and track testing. In general, there is less skipping while the belt is actually running loser for even less rolling resistance. This equates to better acceleration and run time. The LOSA3277 HD Drive Belt Kit for the XXX-4 includes a belt as well as a new tension arm and machined idler pulley with dual ball bearings that only changes the geometry a little but eliminates any unwanted flex.

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...ve-Belt/Detail
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

as for my driving i have been racing trucks forever, this 4wd deal is new to me, i am competitive in my class, and i am looking to upgrade my equipment. yeah i realize its not going to help how i drive, but maybe something out there is more suited to how i drive...

did you ever think i might have had the batteries first... and on a side note they fit any 2wd vehicle i have ever owned... even the one losi hard case i have doesnt fit very well..
Photo of chassis, and battery perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.