R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default x-5, still a competitive buggy?

i am curious if the x-5 conversion is still a competitive buggy. i know a lot of guys are running the xx-4's again and i was curious about the x-5.
i have a xxx-4 and dont want to spend the coin to convert if its not worth it here in the u.s.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtLuck View Post
i am curious if the x-5 conversion is still a competitive buggy. i know a lot of guys are running the xx-4's again and i was curious about the x-5.
i have a xxx-4 and dont want to spend the coin to convert if its not worth it here in the u.s.
They have a X-5 Squared conversion out, at a whopping 379$ + your donor XXX-4 car to pull parts from.

It looks like it works pretty good, but I can't justify that price myself just for a conversion kit.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Tech Elite

that is my problem too.. i can almost buy a new cat sx for that price
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
that is my problem too.. i can almost buy a new cat sx for that price
You can if you sell your XXX-4 to make up the difference.

I'm not knocking the X-5, it just is alot of coin for what looks to be a modified XXX-4
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Tech Elite

yeah well i cant give a xxx-4 away...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
yeah well i cant give a xxx-4 away...
I know that feeling. I just got mine the other day, but I'm glad I got it over a XX-4....I just like the single belt system.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The x-5 is wayy over priced and im pretty sure the x-5 butchers the xx-4 not the xxx-4,, the xx-4 is by far the best 4wd losi has ever produced so why change it with an x-5 conversion.. my two cents
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Shields View Post
The x-5 is wayy over priced and im pretty sure the x-5 butchers the xx-4 not the xxx-4,, the xx-4 is by far the best 4wd losi has ever produced so why change it with an x-5 conversion.. my two cents
They make conversion kits for both the XX-4 & XXX-4. XX-4 conversion is cheaper as it uses some of the suspension pieces from your donor buggy.

The theory which is a good one is to take the straight line acceleration benefits of the single belt XXX-4 and put it in the rough track handling XX-4 suspension.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Suspended

Every year a new buggy or truck comes out and everyone has to have one.
While the latest hot ticket might be the thing on the highest level of Nats or World competition, older models still seem to more than hold their own on the club-level and all the guys with the newest cars run the same they did the previous year with an older car.
Drive what you go and don't be the first to jump on the bandwagon and spend your money on fresh rubber.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Every year a new buggy or truck comes out and everyone has to have one.
While the latest hot ticket might be the thing on the highest level of Nats or World competition, older models still seem to more than hold their own on the club-level and all the guys with the newest cars run the same they did the previous year with an older car.
Drive what you go and don't be the first to jump on the bandwagon and spend your money on fresh rubber.
Exactly. 1 reason I love buying stuff used, as you can typically get it for 1/2 price with upgrades As long as it was well taken care of.

I know the XXX-4 is an older vehicle, but I don't see any reason it can't be competitive at a club level.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Tech Elite

one reason i was considering a new ride is lipo....
my car isnt balanced at all with a lipo in it. plus the lipo really doesnt fit that well in the xxx-4
i really want a car that puts the motor and battery down the middle but no one seems be building that... maybe i should buy a jrx-s and build my own 05' worlds car
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

The X - 5 was conceived in 2003 and designed and prototyped over 2004. It was designed from the start as a conversion kit for the xx4. At that time, the xxx4 was a fairly new car and xx4's were sitting around by the hundreds gathering dust; the average going price for a used xx4 roller was about $60 to $75. That meant that, even if you didn't already have a xx4, you could purchase one used + the conversion kit and have an extremely competitive car for around $310 to $325, which is a very competitive price. Obviously over the years the number of xx4's out there available to convert has dropped, while demand has stayed fairly high, and so the "overall" price for an X - 5 has gone up.

Around 2005, when the Losi team began running their xx4's again and the company re-released the car, we here at X Factory began receiving a huge number of requests to release a conversion kit for the xxx4. The car was never designed to be created from a xxx4 donor, but the re-release spurred enough demand for one. To make this kit, we simply took a xx4-conversion kit and added in all the extra xx4 Losi parts needed to make an X - 5. The price difference between the two conversions is simply our extra cost to include those Losi parts - we actually net less overall selling a xxx4 conversion than a xx4.

As to whether its still competitive or not, I still run my car regularly and do very well with it. The drivetrain takes some massaging to get right with today's lipo and brushless power (again, it was designed back in 2004) but once you have the X - 5 built properly its just an awesome car to drive.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Tech Elite

paul i dont mind the price if it works...
but i dont want to spend the cash for a car that isnt lipo friendly out of the box if its going to be similar to what i have in performance...
i have a cnc mill in my basement, i suck at cad so it will take me forever to build my own conversion/kit the way i want it so i am looking to buy as i normally do.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Tech Elite

I figured Paul would jump in here soon enough

Too bad X-factory does not make a Losi truck Mid Motor conversion, I had to go build my own

But that is too much R&D on 2 different platforms to deal with....
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
one reason i was considering a new ride is lipo....
my car isnt balanced at all with a lipo in it. plus the lipo really doesnt fit that well in the xxx-4
i really want a car that puts the motor and battery down the middle but no one seems be building that... maybe i should buy a jrx-s and build my own 05' worlds car
I am having the same issue. I have a bunch of 4000Mah 7.4's, and I need to figure out a way to make them fit. I was thinking of gluing some sort of memory foam under the battery strap, and some on the inside against the belt tunnel to hold it in place. My batteries are about 4.5oz lighter than a 6 cell stick pack, so I either need to move some stuff around, or add some weight to the battery side of the chassis.