Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

I'm getting ready to go pick up my kit at my LHS when they open and was wondering if I'll be set assembling it w/ this hex driver set? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FShgMgod0CwA7g
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing
Hey TLR guys why no aluminum rear wheel spindle thingie like in the TLR upgrade kit?
Alum rear hubs really are only needed for racing in the cold. We have found the plastic rear hubs do a fine job in most normal conditions.

Originally Posted by agarabaghi
im assuming no alum rear bearing carries and no aluminum front steerting? what about the steering post / ackerman plate?
The alum rear diff bearing supports are still an option part. We ran plastic inserts in the rear for a long time. Alum supports the rear diff a little better and if shimmed properly maintain the mesh a little better. They are offered as poeple asked for them not that they were really needed.

Originally Posted by maddog9
I know you are trying to keep it simple for people, but how many mm would that be as far as shock length?

Also, is there any type of break in process for a new kit? i remember something about hold the right wheels and let the lefts spin 6 times or something like that?
I believe one full turn is ~1mm. Ryan can confirm this. I keep forgetting that adjustment between the 22 and SCTE. I am usually good about that stuff but for some reason this stat is not sticking. I think I am finally getting old!

Originally Posted by Grandturk
Noticed during my build-

- The front arms contact the chassis droop inserts - even with the droop screws backed all the way out. Not sure if this will limit maximum droop once the shocks are on. Also the screws will eventually dig into the plastic of the arms as they contact over and over.

- the manual says to set the sway bars flush with the balls. If you do so not only does this pull the sway bar in the front very tight - it also impacts the rod ends under compression when using the lower outer camber link holes.
Front arms. "full droop" is technically limited by the shocks. Basically all we are saying is let the shocks bottom out to set droop instead of using the chassis droop screws. The longer you make the shocks (unscrew lower eyelet) the more droop you will get until the arms then hit the chassis again.

Swaybars. Flush is a good starting point but I always adjust mine to make sure the bar is not binding the suspension which you have to test without the shocks on the car. Check this front and back. Also the small set screws that take the slop out of the swaybars on the bulkhead make sure those are not tight. They are just to take out play and not restrict the movement of the swaybars.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddog9
I know you are trying to keep it simple for people, but how many mm would that be as far as shock length?

Also, is there any type of break in process for a new kit? i remember something about hold the right wheels and let the lefts spin 6 times or something like that?
Every full turn on the SCTE shock ends should equal .6mm.

So we run an extra .6mm on the rear and 1.2mm on the front.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

These were just some thoughts on my build that I PM'd to a friend. Some of these might have been mentioned before, but some might not:

- use the little packet of brown grease on the outdrives when you build the diffs - the manual calls for black grease but use the brown stuff

- pre thread the diff screws before building your diffs as the holes are pretty tight

- the front camber rod ends will impact the sway bar "ball" end when using the lower outside camber holes - you'll need to adjust the position of the sway bar ball to clearance it

- you can't screw in the front triangle bulkhead piece after installing the body mounts so leave the body mount off when installing the front clip and install it after

- same with the front torque rod - attach it to the bulkhead brace before screwing the brace to the steering posts

- build the center drive shafts and attach to pinion before closing up the transmission case so you can eliminate play between the pinion and the Ring gears

- lock Tite the aluminum motor mount to chassis screws - not indicated in manual
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07

I need to clarify this. Use the shock end adjustment for droop? If so what is the total shock extension measurement? Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ok, so of course i have one of the first kits and the bottom caps for the shocks are tight as explained and dont like it....do i call HH to get something done about this or whats the current status on this? Never had a lower cap for the shock thread this hard and i even had pliers with and without a rag so i didnt ruin them and they only go on about 1/2 way
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Seems like there's going to be a lot of trouble building my first kit, not very happy about that but what can you do, I just remembered I need to pick up a pinion gear, mod1 right and what's a good one to get for my 2.0 tekin pro4 4600kv setup on 2s lipo
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bladeys
I need to clarify this. Use the shock end adjustment for droop? If so what is the total shock extension measurement? Thanks
You do not limit droop with the current setup for off road use. You actually give it extra droop by unscrewing the shock ends.

Originally Posted by TCCustoms
ok, so of course i have one of the first kits and the bottom caps for the shocks are tight as explained and dont like it....do i call HH to get something done about this or whats the current status on this? Never had a lower cap for the shock thread this hard and i even had pliers with and without a rag so i didnt ruin them and they only go on about 1/2 way
The lower caps are plastic and yes, you will mar them some by screwing them on but that does not affect performance at all as long as you dont crush them so bad you ruin the center hole. We have fixed the tool and new caps should be here shortly for all that want them. you can contact CS but I would wait until these corrected units come in.

If you grab the lower cap after it is threaded on by hand as far as you can get it on the lip that the shock boot normally goes over and hold straight, you can use a shock cap and the top cap tool and slowly thread the bottom cap up all the way. this is all explained in the build tips.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by XRated SCT
Seems like there's going to be a lot of trouble building my first kit, not very happy about that but what can you do, I just remembered I need to pick up a pinion gear, mod1 right and what's a good one to get for my 2.0 tekin pro4 4600kv setup on 2s lipo
People are giving tips that they have figured might help others. There is only one minor issue and that is the bottom caps which yuo can get on with a little effort. The build is great from what I have been told by most.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think I saw a pic a few pages back w/KHeadz motor/diff mounts on a 2.0. Obviously 2.0 has the same mounts as the 1.0? You guys think these are a good upgrade?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

People are giving tips that they have figured might help others. There is only one minor issue and that is the bottom caps which yuo can get on with a little effort. The build is great from what I have been told by most.
I understand it just seems like there's so much but maybe I'm over thinking it, well I'm about to leave hopefully my LHS has some mod 1 pinions, what's a good range I was thinking maybe 15-18
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by XRated SCT
I understand it just seems like there's so much but maybe I'm over thinking it, well I'm about to leave hopefully my LHS has some mod 1 pinions, what's a good range I was thinking maybe 15-18
People are just trying to be helpful is all.

That depends on your motor, most are in the range of 12-15 I would say.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

People are just trying to be helpful is all.

That depends on your motor, most are in the range of 12-15 I would say.
Yea I know and I'm glad people pointed out thing to give us others a heads up
I'll be running the pro 4 4600kv but alright thanks I'll probably pick up 2or3 pinions
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also, Anyone have an inside on pro4HD's release? I'm undecided on a motor for this truck. I've been running the 4000pro4 in a Rango and like it for indoor but the 2.0 being a little heavier, I think I want more power but would like to keep it smooth. pro4 4600, HW4700 4XS 4800 or 7200, SC411? Bad words for any of these?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ok makes sense now i was thinking you were giving the droop screw a full turn in from full droop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.