Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JP racing black mod motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default JP racing black mod motors

hello rct......looking for a .21 motor for my truggy and have an opportunity to pick one up for a good price... im new to rc racing and have never heard of them.....just wondering if anyone had any experience with these motors http://www.jpracing.com/en/products/fx-engines/

Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Great engines, but NOT something you want to start out with. What's the price and model number?

I'd say buy it and after you've learned all of the growing pains on a cheaper , more newbie type engine, then bust out the JP.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Rookie

im unsure of the exact model number.....it has a couple gallons on it and i can get it for around $200.....i hear you on the begginer side of things....more power isnt going to get me around the track any faster in this stage....but if its a good deal i might jump on it
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What model is it? For $200 with a couple of gallons is not worth it. It would be better to get a new one IMO. They start off in that range.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

dont buy from PDL racing... as they are no longer in business.... but the site is still up...
Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I wouldnt drop $200 on a used mill.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Used? Pass on it and buy a new engine.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Prophet

so what is considered used ??? i want to know what you guys think , i sell engines that are pre broke in , track tuned and ready to race . is that used up ? if you know what you are doing with nitro engines they can last for a long time!!! if you dont , they can be toast in a gallon !!!
let me know,
monty
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the info guys.....i guess i'll hold off on that deal

as far as buying a new motor...im looking at a stock vspec, eb modded vspec or a ninja......how does the ninja compare to the eb vspec?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustyshacklferd

as far as buying a new motor...im looking at a stock vspec, eb modded vspec or a ninja......how does the ninja compare to the eb vspec?
Ok... you're NEW to racing, and you are looking at those engines? Let's put that in perspective, since you race full scale cars. That's like jumping in a funnycar with no drag racing experience.

You should be looking at some tamer engines to start out with. All of those motors are just plain brutally fast.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

like all engines now you can tune them to suit your skill level....you can put a 6mm restrictor in a badass motor and make it feel like a cheap OS RG. I say buy 2 needle carbed motor (V-Spec has 3 needles) and a set of small restrictors and start racing. You'll see that as your progressing with your skills you can go to a bigger restrictor or tune the motor for more power.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rustyshacklferd

I would stay away from a vspec but thats just my opinion. I currently run a falcon motor which is very similar to a ninja with a different crank and head. It is very smooth to drive. I would highly recommend a falcon. My other engine is a jp mod b5 black motor and it is also a very good motor but comes with alot higher pricetag. I say go falcon!

Houston, I consider a used engine anything that has seen track time beyond the break in stand. I also stay away from used engines but I do so mainly because you dont know who owned them or how they were treated. As you said if you get it from a reliable source thats one thing but buying one from a stranger is a no no for me unless it would be a REALLY good deal.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
I would stay away from a vspec but thats just my opinion. I currently run a falcon motor which is very similar to a ninja with a different crank and head. It is very smooth to drive. I would highly recommend a falcon. My other engine is a jp mod b5 black motor and it is also a very good motor but comes with alot higher pricetag. I say go falcon!

Houston, I consider a used engine anything that has seen track time beyond the break in stand. I also stay away from used engines but I do so mainly because you dont know who owned them or how they were treated. As you said if you get it from a reliable source thats one thing but buying one from a stranger is a no no for me unless it would be a REALLY good deal.
so since i break the engines in and then track tune them to alleviate any problems that the engine might have before i give them a new home , is that considered used up ? engines take a minimum of 1 gallon of fuel to actually get through the engines break in period and be at its full potential , minimum, if done properly i guarantee my engines to be free of defects when received from me and ready to race
monty
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

Houston is "one " of only a few respected guys I would not hesitate buying a used engine from, myself being another. We take a lot of pride in our work and tuning abilities to not let a DUD go out. Personally I keep all the engines I run in tip top condition and if I have a problem child I work at it until I find a cure or it simply never makes it past the parts pile
Isn't that right Crim3?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by houston
so since i break the engines in and then track tune them to alleviate any problems that the engine might have before i give them a new home , is that considered used up ? engines take a minimum of 1 gallon of fuel to actually get through the engines break in period and be at its full potential , minimum, if done properly i guarantee my engines to be free of defects when received from me and ready to race
monty

I didnt say they would be used up. I simply stated unless I receive a heck of a deal on a used motor or I know the guy who owned it/ broke it in I stay away from it. I have read alot of your posts so Its not a personal attack just the point of you have to have trust in who your buying a used motor from. I mean c'mon guys why is it that it seems like all motors on ebay and other forums for sale have 3 or less gallons on them.

As I stated this is not personal towards Houston just a general fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.