Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigM
Do other people have issues with the steering alignment going out in even small bumps? Whenever I tag a barrier, I often have to give my trim a couple of clicks to get the car to go straight again. I thought it might have been the servo saver so switched to the square alloy insert, so now its either the servo or radio, or it's the ackerman screws bending slightly
Just a thought, but could it be a faulty servo saver not re-centering itself?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Ok I have a few Q for the guys that race the 416, a friend just bought a 416 and drove it for one weekend and broke four chub by just taping the boards and now he have a hard time getting parts in the USA and he want to sell it to me but my Q is where do you get the part for this car and what parts should I keep on hand? is there another chub I could use instead of the one that come with the kit? are the arms the same as the chubs easy to break?
any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am having the same problem... thought I tweeked the chassis, so undid all the screws on the deck.... but it "wonders"...

is there an upgrade saver from the kit one? I am aware of the hi torque one, but just wondered if there were any others

Do other people have issues with the steering alignment going out in even small bumps? Whenever I tag a barrier, I often have to give my trim a couple of clicks to get the car to go straight again. I thought it might have been the servo saver so switched to the square alloy insert, so now its either the servo or radio, or it's the ackerman screws bending slightly
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
Ok I have a few Q for the guys that race the 416, a friend just bought a 416 and drove it for one weekend and broke four chub by just taping the boards and now he have a hard time getting parts in the USA and he want to sell it to me but my Q is where do you get the part for this car and what parts should I keep on hand? is there another chub I could use instead of the one that come with the kit? are the arms the same as the chubs easy to break?
There may be an alloy version, but it will bend out of shape on a heavy impact so it's just as bad as crashing out really.

Can't say i've heard of any problems in particular with the C hubs, so your friend sounds just very unlucky, they may have hit it at a bad angle to put more pressure on it than normal.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, had the same issue. Still had the issue, like you, after switching to the square alloy arm. Upon close inspection I found that even with the square arm there is a little bit of play in the servo saver so decided to try a Kimbrough servo saver from one of the drivers at my club some 7 months ago. Suffice to say he still hasn't gotten it back.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
I had the same problem trying to find parts. What I did was order the lightweight reversable suspension set for the TA05IFS. That way I had everything I would need should something break and it's made of the more forgiving plastic instead of that carbon reinforced stuff. I also put a robinson servo saver on mine and have had no issues with that saver.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

There aren't a lot of places that stock a lot of Tamiya parts that I've seen in the US. TamiyaUSA.com (full retail), speedtech rc (stock is hit or miss). Other then that I've not seen a lot. It's a lot of overseas ordering with a Tamiya car.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

The soft IFS c-hubs will never break. They yield a lot more steering, but if you tune around it, they actually work quite well.

Also, a better bumper helps quite a bit. Unfortunately, nobody seems to make one! Grab the Parma blank bumper and have someone cut one out for you.

I too have experienced the "wandering" problem others have mentioned. There does seem to be a decent amount of play in the Tamiya servo saver. It seems like it can be better or worse depending on how closely you line up the ends of the circular springs when pushing them into the saver.

As for parts, don't overlook ampdraw.com. I agree, though, parts for this car in the US is still a challenge. I wish someone like Stormer would pick them up, it is the winningest car in the last year+. I've heard Tamiya does something (not sure what) to make carrying their parts more difficult.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Im not 100% certain but I think the TC5 might have the body posts at the same location as the Tamiya cars. I believe I used a TC5 bumper on my TA05. It was a tight fit but worked. Worth a shot since parma makes a tc5 bumper. It just won't have the cutout at the front.

I don't remember for sure but I think I remember my LHS owner telling me Tamiya wanted you to carry 2 of all their kits and the associated parts for them or something crazy like that for their best pricing. They also had really high minimum order quantities. It just wasn't cost effective for him to carry their stuff. If Great Planes or Horizon Hobbies would pick them up fully then at least the LHS's could get the stuff that way. It's too bad really b/c Tamiya USA isn't doing anything to help their cars in the US and the LHS's in the US.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Kimbrough savers are nice, but weak. Turn the car on with radio on so that the wheels are straight ahead. Then grab your wheels/tires by hand and force it to turn left or right. This will show you how weak the servo saver is. Of course that's the purpose of a servo saver, but under a full load going into a turn, you will not be getting the full steering you should because the servo saver is absorbing some of the steering input. Maybe a fresh new servo saver will be strong. So keep checking on that.

Tamiya savers suck because it's hard for them to keep center. I use an aftermarket 2 piece aluminum Tamiya replacement servo saver. It still had slack in it, so I superglued them together with the rings. This takes out the slack, but also lets the saver work in a very limited fashion. But it is still possible to break your servos. I have yet to break my 9551 with this setup.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

YES EXACTLY! The ackerman screws do bent actually quite easily. I replaced mine with upper c-block pivots from a 415msxx . Thar are steel and have a shoulder built right in. It also reduces the spacing for ackerman by 1mm. Most of the upper suspension pivots will bend as well. For those I perfer the upper shock mounts with 1mm less washer under them. That allows me to use steel instead of aluminum whis bends far too easily.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tonyv
Yes, had the same issue. Still had the issue, like you, after switching to the square alloy arm. Upon close inspection I found that even with the square arm there is a little bit of play in the servo saver so decided to try a Kimbrough servo saver from one of the drivers at my club some 7 months ago. Suffice to say he still hasn't gotten it back.
I have used the smaller one on my 415 too, no problems to date...

I have seen the tamiya ones inherit a bit of movement, but I guess any can given a chance to.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Who makes the alu servo savers. Part #.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Barry White
Who makes the alu servo savers. Part #.
Tamiya High-Torque Servo Saver (50473 & 51000)

http://www.rc-square.de/english/index.htm

near the bottom.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

Didn't Tamiya make 1 to? Who makes the other end in alu (the one on the servo splindle)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.