Wiki Posts
Search

2WD Buggy vs 2WD Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default 2WD Buggy vs 2WD Truck

Driving wise, which one is faster? which one is more durable?

My friend told me that truck bottoms out less becasue of the bigger tires. Therefore less wear and tear on the truck than buggy. is this true?

I normally drive kyosho 1/8 gas buggy. They are like tanks. At most it is a a arm or shock shaft that I have to replace.

Got a 4wd xxx4g+, drove like a grandma and I have to replace the chassis and rear diff cover.

I need a strong electric offroad becasue socal is close to my house and they open on weeknights.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by straightaway
Driving wise, which one is faster? which one is more durable?

My friend told me that truck bottoms out less becasue of the bigger tires. Therefore less wear and tear on the truck than buggy. is this true?

I normally drive kyosho 1/8 gas buggy. They are like tanks. At most it is a a arm or shock shaft that I have to replace.

Got a 4wd xxx4g+, drove like a grandma and I have to replace the chassis and rear diff cover.

I need a strong electric offroad becasue socal is close to my house and they open on weeknights.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Both are about the same as far as durability goes. A truck is a little easier to drive in general, but buggies are usually fast at Socal. The biggest difference is the price of tires. Buggy tires, foam, wheel = $25 (rears) Truck tires, foam, wheels = $32 (rears) Plus at socal, on buggies Pink X-2000s are usually good and they don't wear as fast as the Holeshot truck tires you would run on a truck.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Get a truck for socal. Its very competitive, theres always a class to race in every race day, many levels, and they dont break as much as a 4wd.

Start with truck, then decide if you want to do 2wd buggy or not. Then if you feel comfortale go to 4wd. A lot of people make the mistake of going to 4wd first and it is very hard. They break very easily and are fast...

Last edited by killer89; 08-31-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by killer89
and they dont break as much.
I don't think this is true...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
I don't think this is true...
I meant a 4wd, but didnt type it. post fixed. good point on the tires.

I would still start with truck due to the greater amount of people racing it and bigger classes for novice and intermediate.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 AM
TLRacing

I would still start with truck due to the greater amount of people racing it and bigger classes for novice and intermediate.

Good point.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Driving all three electrics, 4wd, truck and 2wd buggy, I think truck is the funnest. as far as durability, I have not broke very much on my truck, and the bulk was when I got t-boned by a truggy when my rx glitched. 2wd buggy is fun, but not nearly as much as truck, to me at least, and I broke the chassis in my second race with it, of course those concrete ribs are REALLY hard on anything that small. 4mod is also fun, and it is one of those deals where the hits you think you are going to break you don't, and then you do a little tap on a pipe and you broke an arm. I am going to be selling my 2wd buggy as it is my least favorite class, and running 4 classes, especially with 3 electric is a BEAR. I think 2 nitro and 2 electric would be doable, but 3 is about right.
Rdo
Old 08-31-2006, 06:44 PM

Get a truck for socal. Its very competitive, theres always a class to race in every race day, many levels, and they dont break as much as a 4wd.

Start with truck, then decide if you want to do 2wd buggy or not. Then if you feel comfortale go to 4wd. A lot of people make the mistake of going to 4wd first and it is very hard. They break very easily and are fast...

diddo on getting the turck first 'cause that's what I started racing with. You know maybe there should be just one class for both buggy and truck in one a.k.a. Novice so it'd be entertaining, or at least I thought so.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Depends on your track. We share track time most races with a bunch of 1/8, arena trucks, and MT so the track gets really chewed up. Easier to drive my truck and I'm usually faster with it than my buggy on a rough track. But on a prepped electric track, buggy will be faster, and IMO there's nothing more fun to drive than 2wd Mod. So, just GET BOTH, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO! Muuuwaahhahhah!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im a buggy person. the buggies are quick and nimble. i had a 2wd for about 2 months then i got my current car a MRC academy SB Pro. its a 4wd buggy that is durable. the only thing i have broken in about 6 month is a servo and i stripped a knuckle. since this isnt your first car id say get a buggy. the B4 is a great car to have.

Matt
Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

One thing to keep in mind is the classes that are available for each vehicle type.

Assuming you run stock mostly or are looking for that speed initially, I am not sure 4wd even offers that or 19T at alot of the tracks, and when newbies combine with mod power, breakage on most vehicles becomes a reality. Who knows, maybe one day the class will be able to support at least a limited motor level like say 19 turn.

If 2wd buggy is supported, you may fine it more rewarding. There is just something about buggies how nimble they are and more challenging to drive.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Default truck buggy

first whoever told you that trucks bottom less than buggies due to larger tires is a tard. and should be wearing a helmet full time. proper set ups and good driving saves wear and tear on any vehicle. you will scrape bottom equally as much with proper set up. better drivers are in thew buggy class but the point of having enough people to race against is huge otherwise it just gets boring when your in a class that only 5 or 6 people show up for.

good luck