Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4-3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I dont know how you are able to break drive shafts. Do they make a hardened steel version? I dont know if cvds would solve your problem, but in theory the pin in the cvd may be the weak point and instead of the whole shaft itself. tHIS IS WORTH A TRY.
Later
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

They do make hardened drive cups and shafts. Check out the parts lists for the RS4-3 SS .18 kit. I beleive those parts are included in that kit.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I dont know how you are able to break drive shafts.
OK. It sounds like I may have a deeper problem then if breaking driveshafts is unusual.

They do make hardened drive cups and shafts. Check out the parts lists for the RS4-3 SS .18 kit. I beleive those parts are included in that kit.
Cups yes - Shafts no. They are listed with the same part number 86036.
I have no problem with the cups. The shafts break at the weak point, where the diameter is slightly less, just in front of the ball.

I have not been able to find any reference through google, of an uprated driveshaft part.

So the question now is... Why are my shafts breaking?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Maybe your clutch engagement is too harsh. Does it seem like it jets off quickly?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Pulled this out of an old thread

the rear universal propeller shaft is the BEST upgrade you can ever invest. When you install a high end engine, the stock shafts break easily. I broke at least 9 pcs and had to install the part from hot bodies. (the front univ front shaft, by the way, is included on the package)
Old 08-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Here's the link to the thread. About half way down the first page is a picture posted. I couldn't get the picture to display with the post. Hot bodies makes the CVD type drive shafts. They come in a set of front and rear

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=rs4-3
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you.
I think this is what I've been looking for.

Part number is HB61142 for rear shaft only. 7.99 UKP

Last edited by rbridd; 08-17-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey guys. what is the difference between an rs4 evo with an ss and a plain rs4 kit pullstart?
are the parts interchangeble? i picked an rs4 evo for my nephew coz its durable and the parts are cheap and more resistant to breakage than ntc3 at the track. no offense to ntc3 people but that kit is just way too brittle for newbies and basher kids. what upgrades are recommended to make it even more bulletproof?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default difference

Originally Posted by KillWency
hey guys. what is the difference between an rs4 evo with an ss and a plain rs4 kit pullstart?
are the parts interchangeble? i picked an rs4 evo for my nephew coz its durable and the parts are cheap and more resistant to breakage than ntc3 at the track. no offense to ntc3 people but that kit is just way too brittle for newbies and basher kids. what upgrades are recommended to make it even more bulletproof?
if you will be upgrading, the best is to look for the parts now onboard the 18SS. the 18ss kit is fitted with more impact resistant parts, however, you cannot race it since it is equipped with an 18 engine, race spec is 12 only. To compete in teh HPI class the HPI XS12 engine is the best engine, and but it has to be started with a starter box. Lately i have fitted a centax clutch of HPI R40 and it worked too well i can race the A class now with my rs4. Change the spur with 41-45 combination and teh green pinions for even faster speeds. However, remember, speed = greater breakage. I will try to post the pic of my revised rs4 fitted with gears from teh 18ss, it rips and it doesn't break now. The first change though after fitting a good engine is to fit the heavy duty center axles from hot bodies, theyre bullet proof, if you dont, you will hate the rs4.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default hello rs4 owners

hello to all rs4 owners, the forum quite stucked up, seems the guys have shifted
Old 12-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

does anyone who has the graphite upper deck for the rs4 3 know if i have to use a stick pack with it?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down upper deck

Originally Posted by Jye
does anyone who has the graphite upper deck for the rs4 3 know if i have to use a stick pack with it?
the graphite upper deck is always available, the problem with it is that you will be denied quick access to thorough cleaning, and quick disassembly, i personally would not recommend it as the difference in weight is negligible.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default jye

i has a slot for the old batt, a stick pack can also be used
Old 02-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1st gear pinion unscrewing

I'm new to the RS4 Evo. Purchased a used one. When I start it up the 1st gear pinion unscrews off of the clutch bell. Is the 1st gear spur one way bearing my problem?? It seems OK (ie only turns in one direction). Any ideas please
Old 02-05-2006, 11:08 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

a dab of thread lock will fix that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.