• 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By andreas78

Reversing a sensored motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Reversing a sensored motor

I am unable to reverse a sensored motor by esc programming. I've tried reversing the throttle channel but this messes with the brake and reverse function.
I want to reverse the wiring to the motor (C-B-A instead of A-B-C viewed from the end can) and modify the sensor lead. From what I can research, if I swap the hall sensor wires for A and C, (swap pins 2 and 4 in the sensor lead I believe), this should reverse the motor effectively. I tried this and smoked an esc, but I'm pretty sure I got the harness wrong, all wires are black and I got mixed up. New esc ordered!
It should work in my mind, but I really have not much clue what I'm on about. If anyone who knows their sensored motors could chime in and let me know if I'm on track, or anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the input.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Wire it up as instructions recommends; a-a, b-b,c-c and reverse motor direction within esc parameters.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:22 PM
Tech Lord

If you want to reverse it by only swapping 2 coil and 2 sensor wires then be aware the position of the sensors are all wrong and wrong timed.

There are plenty of ESC's (Hobbywing) that has a reverse rotation option in the ESC settings.
gigaplex and Bry195 like this.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

only way to reverse a motor rotation is thru esc. either by program card or thru esc program steps. switching wires will not work now if you switch radios throttle from rev or fwd will not work but when you rev th you will need to calibrate esc but then still could mess with th rev.
what esc is this anyway?
Old 01-31-2022, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trigger
Wire it up as instructions recommends; a-a, b-b,c-c and reverse motor direction within esc parameters.
I see you didn't read the very first sentence.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Why do you need to reverse the motor? Normally this indicates you're doing something wrong, but if you genuinely need to reverse a motor, you're better off with a sensorless one.

A sensored motor has offset timing on the can. If you do manage to reverse it, the timing will be negative and it'll perform like garbage.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies. It was an old hobbyking 150 amp esc that I couldn't find a programming card for. I have now ordered a skyrc ts150 and a programming box so I can reverse it properly. It's going in a hobao hyper mt+2.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:37 PM
Tech Lord

So it is an all original car, then the motor should rotate the right way, no reverse needed. Did you put in the front and rear diff in the right way?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:24 AM
Tech Rookie

The original car was an Agama buggy, with the diffs the right way round (I think they only fit one way) I'm not sure why it ran "backwards". What is the normal rotation direction when viewing a motor face-on, looking at it from the shaft side?

Many thanks
Old 02-01-2022, 01:32 AM
Tech Lord

counter clock wise seen from de shaft side.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
If you want to reverse it by only swapping 2 coil and 2 sensor wires then be aware the position of the sensors are all wrong and wrong timed.
Exactly. Reversing a sensored motor can be done, but there are 3 steps involved:
1. Swap phase B and C
2. For a ROAR compatible sensor cable: Swap sensor pin #2 (phase C hall sensor) and #4 (phase A hall sensor)
3. Change the position of sensor PCB within the motor (e.g. if timing was 30° it needs to be changed to -30°)
Steps #1 and #2 are easy, #3 can only easily be done on some motors, many need heavy modding like drilling new holes to rotate the end bell accordingly, etc.

Andi
Bry195 likes this.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Can timing to 60° and esc timing +10° or more, your motor will run backwards. Probably not for long though.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nineball
Can timing to 60° and esc timing +10° or more, your motor will run backwards. Probably not for long though.
No, it'll just cog if you do that. That won't change the sequence that the sensors will trigger.