Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My 3200 charges to around 3000-3100, it would never get close to 3200, is this normal? are they not like nimh's where its good for it to go over the rated mah.

What can I do about this if thats the case?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

hi, first time that i would be using this type of battery but would like to know if i got to have a different charger for this type of battery. already got a Much More CTX charger and secondly do i need a balancer for this battery is there a lipo charger that also has a balancer as well thanks and sorry for too many questions
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buboy28
hi, first time that i would be using this type of battery but would like to know if i got to have a different charger for this type of battery. already got a Much More CTX charger and secondly do i need a balancer for this battery is there a lipo charger that also has a balancer as well thanks and sorry for too many questions
I use the Duratrax Ice charger and what I have read about the CTX it will charge Lipos. Be sure! Set your rate accordingly. I would say no more than a 3 amp charge rate. And until you get the feel of them don't run more than 7 or 8 minutes at a time. Familiarize yourself with the way they discharge they are sensitive to over discharging.
And you can buy a balancer, but I would wait till you need it first, my 4800's are a year old and still haven't needed balanced. The less you discharge the pack the greater the chance you won't have to balance.
I would get the Orion Avionics if I were to need another charger, but Venom racing offers a Lipo charger with the balancer built in.
I would stick to the Orion advantage or the avionics.

Don't you just love the internet? Heres a link below.

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/me...ca40/newsid/94

Last edited by UN4RACING; 04-15-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rays_tt
My 3200 charges to around 3000-3100, it would never get close to 3200, is this normal? are they not like nimh's where its good for it to go over the rated mah.

What can I do about this if thats the case?

Thanks.
Well I'm not the wizard, but I watch for is the amount of voltage that is in the pack at the end of the charge.
If it says 8.4 volts its done for me, I don't even worry about letting it trickle down to Zero. Some times I do.
Now I run the Platinum 4800's but I'm pretty sure they peak to the same voltage?
Don't worry its normal its just repeaking to the MAH's that are discharged out of the pack.
Over charging is as bad as over discharging.

Dang it looks like I'm covering for Mr. Black.
I guess I'm the week end shift.
Hes the wizard catch all of his post. You will learn a lot.
And be sure to read his signature. Just had to get that in there.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

The CTX charges max at 1A. Useless
Old 04-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i suggest you get the yokomo charger (similar to duratrax ice but with blue backlight and temp probe), got mine from pitshop for my 4800 platinum the much more charges at only 1 amp and it will take a very long time to fully charge your lipo. also, try to PM ao7b (?) from our local RC flight thread, he sells lipo chargers/balancers at very good prices he may have a lipo charger that is compatible for your battery.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by marvi
i suggest you get the yokomo charger (similar to duratrax ice but with blue backlight and temp probe), got mine from pitshop for my 4800 platinum the much more charges at only 1 amp and it will take a very long time to fully charge your lipo. also, try to PM ao7b (?) from our local RC flight thread, he sells lipo chargers/balancers at very good prices he may have a lipo charger that is compatible for your battery.
ok sir thank you very much will do what you suggested
Old 04-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i suggest you get the yokomo charger (similar to duratrax ice but with blue backlight and temp probe),
For the price of that thing ($240 at RcMart http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...fdb96011177c05 ) you can pick up an ICE ($125 or less) AND an Avionics ($80) at almost any good online store.
And the only extra it offers over the Ice is the backlight
Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

I would say go for the Orion Avionics. Got one for my nephew and for the price is a great little charger. I use the the ROBITRONIC OVERLOADER CHARGER but it is twice the price of the Orion one but charges Lipos the same.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cvt01
For the price of that thing ($240 at RcMart http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...fdb96011177c05 ) you can pick up an ICE ($125 or less) AND an Avionics ($80) at almost any good online store...
wow, $240.00 got it for about $160.00 from our lhs the avionics is also a very good lipo charger for the price, unfortunately, its not available in our lhs, and shipping to our country (plus customs taxes, etc etc ) will jack up the price of the avionics.

Originally Posted by cvt01
...And the only extra it offers over the Ice is the backlight
aside from the backlight, the yoke charger also includes the temp probe.

so quoting tower hobbies prices: the ice charger ($125.00) + temp probe ($9.00) + shipping to the philippines (est. $25+ for international air 10-30 days or est. $65+ for UPS worldwide 3-7 days) = $159.00+ to $199.00. and it doesnt have a backlight. and you still have to add customs, taxes, etc.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why would anyone need a temp probe for LiPo charging. Its pretty much going to be room temp when its done charging.

The Avionics and similar small chargers seem to be all you need. I see some of the fastest guys at our tracks using chargers for their LiPo that can't do anything other than charge. No probes, no discharge, backlit in some cases, but thats about it.

If I need a second charger to back up my ICE, once I start running two cars, then its definitely the Avionics.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Lord

Just gotta say:........Avionics.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

Default Temp probe

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Why would anyone need a temp probe for LiPo charging. Its pretty much going to be room temp when its done charging.

The Avionics and similar small chargers seem to be all you need. I see some of the fastest guys at our tracks using chargers for their LiPo that can't do anything other than charge. No probes, no discharge, backlit in some cases, but thats about it.

If I need a second charger to back up my ICE, once I start running two cars, then its definitely the Avionics.
Consider the temp probe an extra "safety". I set mine at a few degrees above surround temp. Just in case sh*t happens during charging; it will kick in and stop the charge.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

in my case, im not using the temp probe of my yoke charger for lipo stuff
its for my 8 AA transmitter batts plus, it came bundled with the charger

btw, anyone here using the TME Xtrema Lipo Charger/Wattmeter?

TME Xtrema

a bit off topic, but what's a wattmeter?
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-tmep3000.jpg  
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

wow, $240.00 got it for about $160.00 from our lhs the avionics is also a very good lipo charger for the price, unfortunately, its not available in our lhs, and shipping to our country (plus customs taxes, etc etc ) will jack up the price of the avionics.

aside from the backlight, the yoke charger also includes the temp probe.

so quoting tower hobbies prices: the ice charger ($125.00) + temp probe ($9.00) + shipping to the philippines (est. $25+ for international air 10-30 days or est. $65+ for UPS worldwide 3-7 days) = $159.00+ to $199.00. and it doesnt have a backlight. and you still have to add customs, taxes, etc.
the customs and duties you have to pay for the amount of US $199 is around US $60 btw do you happen to know the model number of your yoke charger thanks

have seen some lipo charger with Action Hobbies ( E-Station and I-Maxx) but do'nt know yet if those brand are good will ask around if those are good enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.