Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber Tire vs. Foam Tire on Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
I am no professional about electric carpet TC racing...but just want to know a set of CS27 is about $40 (tires, rims, insert and my bad CA glueing technique)..........I would like to know how long can a set of rubber last? (for example, each race day has 4 qualifier and triple A main or double B main..)
I would think a long time.

I did a lot of testing & racing on 1 set of tires. When all was said and done I figured I had at least 40 5-minute runs on them. I test with a lap counter and of course racing is timed for you. It seemed too much to believe so I kept track on a new carpet set and on the 5th run I bent a rim... Grrrrrrrr. Eventually I will have the absolute info on how long tires will last on carpet.

40 runs on rubber and still winning A-main races with old tires puts foamies to shame. If I went to a big race of course I would run new tires.
Foams should stay on pan-cars...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

I think that it's more than just which one lasts longer. I think setting up a car for rubber is a bit more challenging, and I like that. It's almost too easy to be quick with foam tires. And I think that's why so many go with foam tires.

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Mazda 6 is the hot shell for rubber tire carpet. If you want the car to feel more stable/less steering go Nemesis
You can feel me lurking...can't you?!?!?

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAAAAA!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Getting back to the original question, it is irrelevant if lap times are slower for rubber tires because everyone in that class will be on rubber, so everyone will be 1 second off the foam pace. I personally signed up for rubber because it is a handout tire so everyone will be using it and I don't need to bring 6 sets of 5 different kind of tires. Which is what you'll have to do if you run foam, unless you can somehow find out exactly which combonation of foamies will work before you get there.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Somehow I can't resist......bring magenta (dbl pink) and Magenta / orange tires.

And if you have a carpet track, you should have an idea of what tires you should be running. It does not vary an incredible amount.

Flame away..................
Old 06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Foams should stay on pan-cars...
Preach on brother A-Ko!!

I always love that this topic comes up about twice a year. If I still have enough vacation time come Vegas, I'll be there with a nice stack of rubber tires. Happly leaving my heavy tire truer at home where it belongs. Plus I won't have to worry about chunking a tire when I'm on that TQ run. j/k

Rubber Rules!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

I don't see how this is a versus thing. The tire choice is the race directors, either foams or rubber. Asking which is faster is a moot point
Old 06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Starting off with a tire dia of 60mm I get 10+ race days out of my plaids and purples.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah these threads are sooo much fun...

Adam....you don’t have to worry about a tire chunking when running rubber tires you just have to worry about a pre-mount coming un-glued on a TQ run... j/k

Like others have stated if you are with in a second a lap you of foam cars you are close. But in all honesty that won’t matter along with your setup from home once you go to the race in Vegas. None of the rubber tire racing guys will have experienced traction at this level ever....maybe the guys that race at the Novak race. With as many foam tire cars (sedan and 12th) running the rubber tire guys will have their work cut out for them. That’s the great thing about this race its going be a total challenge to everyone at all class' and type of tires.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I always love that this topic comes up about twice a year
Is it twice a year or every month :P
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Somehow I can't resist......bring magenta (dbl pink) and Magenta / orange tires.

And if you have a carpet track, you should have an idea of what tires you should be running. It does not vary an incredible amount.

Flame away..................
No flames....I'm not a flamer (I spend all my money on RC anyway...LOL)

Wev'e been running at a low-grip carpet track for almost two years now and are still finding new tire combos....first it was CS-22, then CS-22/27...then Sorex 24/28, now me and one of the local fast-guys found RP24's own everything else

Soviet: Sorry bro, I'm not up for middle-aged, lexan obsessed men

Last edited by BlackKat; 06-06-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to diss Soviet
Old 06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I dont know how you guys build rubber tires.

But from where I come from, we salvage the inserts and sometimes the wheels. So in the end we're only buying the rubber slicks everytime. Now thats cheap. Some of my inserts have gone thru 4-5 sets of rubbers already.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Adam Hartzell
Preach on brother A-Ko!!

I always love that this topic comes up about twice a year. If I still have enough vacation time come Vegas, I'll be there with a nice stack of rubber tires. Happly leaving my heavy tire truer at home where it belongs. Plus I won't have to worry about chunking a tire when I'm on that TQ run. j/k

Rubber Rules!!!!!!!!!!!
Feels like this topic is monthly or sooner.

Luckily my local tracks offer both types of classes for Carpet.

Pavement, is another story and my home track only runs foamies So it looks like I go back to more testing to see if there is a way to beat and convert their numbers to rubber racing.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rubber Tires are for off-road buggies and Monster Trucks. Anyone who believes that it's harder to set-up a rubber tire car than a foam car has never raced both. Set-up is broadstroke with rubber tires, foamies make it ALL about the minute details. Neither is a more difficult set-up challenge, they're just very different in the details. I prefer foams for two very simple reasons, 1st, if you're running foams on carpet, you're running a diff. Ban one-ways, and I might be a bit more in favor rubber tire racing, but TC drivers for the most part (myself included when driving a TC), are hacks and one-ways ruin racing in my opinion by not allowing any bumping and rubbing without serious consequences. 2nd, FOAMS ARE FASTER!!!! and Everybody knows that FASTER IS MORE FUN.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Entropy
I dont know how you guys build rubber tires.

But from where I come from, we salvage the inserts and sometimes the wheels. So in the end we're only buying the rubber slicks everytime. Now thats cheap. Some of my inserts have gone thru 4-5 sets of rubbers already.
I for 1 would like to know what is the best way to remove old rubber tires from a still good plastic rims without damaging the rim...? Cut it with knife then put it on truer and true off the rubber...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.