Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rubber Tire vs. Foam Tire on Carpet >

Rubber Tire vs. Foam Tire on Carpet

Rubber Tire vs. Foam Tire on Carpet

Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
I for 1 would like to know what is the best way to remove old rubber tires from a still good plastic rims without damaging the rim...? Cut it with knife then put it on truer and true off the rubber...?
I learned the hard way that you cannot unglue certain types of rims. If youve got a nylon rim you can set them above some acetone and the acetone gases will slowly unlgue the tire-saving the rim and insert. But if youve got an abs plastic rim (tamiya for example) the acetone fumes alone will melt the rim in less time than the CA can melt.

With those type of rims-all you can do is cut-off the tire and save the insert.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

You cannont put takeoff premounts in acetone. They will melt the rims and ruin just about everything.

By the time you need new tires, the inserts have been worn out. They are compressed which increase the air-gap. That means slower reaction time.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Anyone who believes that it's harder to set-up a rubber tire car than a foam car has never raced both. Set-up is broadstroke with rubber tires, foamies make it ALL about the minute details. Neither is a more difficult set-up challenge, they're just very different in the details. I prefer foams for two very simple reasons, 1st, if you're running foams on carpet, you're running a diff. Ban one-ways, and I might be a bit more in favor rubber tire racing, but TC drivers for the most part (myself included when driving a TC), are hacks and one-ways ruin racing in my opinion by not allowing any bumping and rubbing without serious consequences.
I agree that though you might be fast initially when setting up for foams, you'll find that very small changes in setup will be magnified greatly with more grip.

On one hand, I've found that the less grip of the surface, the more forgiving a car is on both setup & driver input. Here the search for cornering grip is priority. On the other, with high grip, the car becomes more sensitive to overall balance and driving style. Here the search for stability becomes priority. I believe when you learn how to successfully produce both grip and stability, then you can snatch the pebble from the masters hand on any track...

However, I would always recommend that someone learn how to get stability in their setup, before they search for that fine line between grip and flat cornering speed. So race TC on carpet first, before you go to nitro on asphalt!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

With several drivers at my track, they have too little tension on the wheel. I notice them swerving down the straights. For me, I run a tight steering wheel, so I can have "twitchy" car setup wise, but keep consistant lines around the track. This helps in the infield and tight turn where you need quick reaction to dice up the switchbacks.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgp
I agree that though you might be fast initially when setting up for foams, you'll find that very small changes in setup will be magnified greatly with more grip.

On one hand, I've found that the less grip of the surface, the more forgiving a car is on both setup & driver input. Here the search for cornering grip is priority. On the other, with high grip, the car becomes more sensitive to overall balance and driving style. Here the search for stability becomes priority. I believe when you learn how to successfully produce both grip and stability, then you can snatch the pebble from the masters hand on any track...

However, I would always recommend that someone learn how to get stability in their setup, before they search for that fine line between grip and flat cornering speed. So race TC on carpet first, before you go to nitro on asphalt!
That's my point exactly. Neither discipline is easier than the other. Finding good balance and good cornerspeed is difficult with either type of tire. On foams it's getting the grip level right to minimize scrubbing off speed in the corners, on rubbers it's about maximizing grip to allow it to carry speed. The differences are great but the arts are equal in difficulty.