Search

WHAT CLASSES SHOULD RUN IN MAJOR RACES FOR 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

1/12 GTP 17.5 & Mod
Rubber TC 17.5 & Mod
WGT 17.5 & Mod

Bring back the old days of simple Stock and Mod class racing with stacked fields that go all the way down to a J-Main!!! Make simply qualifying for the show actually mean something again. Having too many seperate classes, just so everyone can make the show isn't helping out racing at all. Making the A-Main should take more effort than simply signing up for the class.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
Isn't 17.5/1c for 1/12th scale too slow for average racers who will travle to race? around the east coast is all 13.5/1c in that class.
Yep and this is the point. If you want to go fast run mod. Keep spec racing what it should be slower then open. :-)

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie

That would be cool to see. Heck if they can have an ETS that has 6 legs running from Oct 09 to July 10, it be nice to see if they could put a 3 race series here together.
Yeah, they're sucessful at organizing those races even with a language barrier. What the hell is our problem!

Since VTA, RCGT, WGT and Super Hoppers are popular in specific areas, those can be the support classes at major events just like they are now.

In my opinion, it's really just TC that has some issues, mainly thinning of the classes and an almost imperceptable difference between the stock and super stock classes.

I'd like to see super stock dropped or wildly differentiated from regular stock. Perhaps Stock would not use any "digital" timing and super stock would?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
+1

WGT is definitely a head-scratcher.
It could be a good alternative to the high $$$ TC scene during the outdoor season, provided that your local track is relatively smooth; but I digress...

I agree with this movement towards stock and mod being the only classes available for all levels of racing. There's simply too many classes to choose from these days.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
1/12 GTP 17.5 & Mod
Rubber TC 17.5 & Mod
WGT 17.5 & Mod

Bring back the old days of simple Stock and Mod class racing with stacked fields that go all the way down to a J-Main!!! Make simply qualifying for the show actually mean something again. Having too many seperate classes, just so everyone can make the show isn't helping out racing at all. Making the A-Main should take more effort than simply signing up for the class.
I am not sure what to think about the inevitable "everybody wants to be in the A" comments. World GT was not about a class so people can be in the A. Neither is VTA. The gap between 17.5 and current mod speed is ridiculous as well. To me it's more about speed anyway, since even in the "old days" once you got past the top 25 guys nobody had a chance anyway. It just made people feel better ego wise to say they beat 100 guys.

At the same time, the 1S idea might be worth looking at. All the sponsored stock drivers complain about moving up to mod, so maybe if it was a bit slower, there would not be so much reticence to move up. Stock would probably have to be something different than 17.5, as I have tried 17.5/1S TC and it is BUTT SLOW.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Super Hoppers
WTF??
Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

12th stock/mod
TC rubber stock/mod
+1 support class

Stock should be 17.5 (if you think 17.5 is too slow)--> Mod is open.
Support class is VTA, WGT or mini's or whatever..race directors decision.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
1/12 GTP 17.5 & Mod
Rubber TC 17.5 & Mod
WGT 17.5 & Mod

+1 I agree

Simple is better. I agree with Mike (Blackstock) in trying to find a way to slow down the cars ie: second class to mod being the 17.5. I think what people don't understand, is that if you run mod, you do not have to have a blistering car, If you can perform well in the spec class, try a 13.5 in mod, chances are there is going to be alot of guys doing the same, will you win? No, but its a start. IMO
Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
I think what people don't understand, is that if you run mod, you do not have to have a blistering car, If you can perform well in the spec class, try a 13.5 in mod, chances are there is going to be alot of guys doing the same, will you win? No, but its a start. IMO
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
+1 I agree

Simple is better. I agree with Mike (Blackstock) in trying to find a way to slow down the cars ie: second class to mod being the 17.5. I think what people don't understand, is that if you run mod, you do not have to have a blistering car, If you can perform well in the spec class, try a 13.5 in mod, chances are there is going to be alot of guys doing the same, will you win? No, but its a start. IMO
Real men never motor down

Unfortunately, if you try to run 13.5 with a bunch of mod cars, some one will explode your car for you on the straight. You have to run something that will at least keep you from getting run over.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In my opinion….

Amateur Sedan….21.5 motors…..Rubber tires….An approved List of ESC’s to keep the cost and speed in check( it works for motors)….No Sponsored drivers allowed.

Intermediate Sedan….17.5 motors…..rubber tires

Expert Sedan(aka Mod-sedan)..open motor….rubber tire…whatever the international rules are

Amateur 12th scale….. 17.5 motors….1 cell…..An approved List of ESC’s to keep the cost and speed in check( it works for motors)….No Sponsored drivers allowed.

Intermediate 12th scale…..13.5 motors….1 cell

Expert 12th scale……open motor.....whatever the international rules are

WGT….13.5 motors

If a track/race wants to run a local/fun class....IE VTA, RCGT, Supper Hoppers, and Mini then so be it.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Regional Moderator

The NEGS has is right:

17.5 and Pro (10.5) foam TC
17.5 and Pro (10.5) 1/12
17.5 and 13.5 rubber TC
track choice (VTA, WGT, F1, etc).

The 10.5 class is fast enough without being "stupid fast" (especially with today's speedos), and is a big enough step up from 17.5 to make it worthwhile. Do well in 17.5, then you must move up to "Pro" class.

Good Luck getting promoters to work together when they all want to have the biggest and most prestigious race. Funny that one of the promoters mentioned above also promotes/announces the ETS in Europe and has one of the legs of that series the same weekend as the Indoor Champs and one the same weekend as the Snowbirds.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Why not just make the slowest spec class 21.5 across the board?

If you say it is to slow then you don't belong in that class anyway. Run something faster.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
The NEGS has is right:

17.5 and Pro (10.5) foam TC
17.5 and Pro (10.5) 1/12
17.5 and 13.5 rubber TC
track choice (VTA, WGT, F1, etc).

The 10.5 class is fast enough without being "stupid fast" (especially with today's speedos), and is a big enough step up from 17.5 to make it worthwhile. Do well in 17.5, then you must move up to "Pro" class.

Good Luck getting promoters to work together when they all want to have the biggest and most prestigious race. Funny that one of the promoters mentioned above also promotes/announces the ETS in Europe and has one of the legs of that series the same weekend as the Indoor Champs and one the same weekend as the Snowbirds.

sorry 10.5 opens more can of worms then the every week speedo. it will become who has the best motor this week. So leave pro to open mod like it should be :-) then you can run whatever motor is fast enough for you.

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

maybe we need the mike blackstock keeping it real racing league

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.